Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM

42 posts, read 243,395 times

Advertisements

I am looking at getting a water treatment system from H20 to Go with reverse osmosis and wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on this company or has any recommendations for a system. I was also going to look at H20 Concepts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,680,541 times
Reverse osmosis makes acidic water. I think a ph of about 6.5-6.8. I personally like the ph around 7.4 which is more basic for drinking. I would go with the one that doesnt make water acidic.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Reverse osmosis makes acidic water. I think a ph of about 6.5-6.8. I personally like the ph around 7.4 which is more basic for drinking. I would go with the one that doesnt make water acidic.

I think that is pretty much propaganda from some of the water system purveyors. Pure water is pH 7.0 but it lacks any buffering so the atmosphere move it a little acidic. Put it in your mouth with normal saliva and it dives way acidic. Add the least trace of bicarbonate of soda or such and it goes way basic. RO water lacks any minerals etc but water is not an appropriate source for such.

Commercial installations adjust the Ph and add chlorine and such. But not generally required on a home istallation.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:32 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,435,651 times
RO gives you only a fraction of filtered water out compared to the amount of water in.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,047,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
RO gives you only a fraction of filtered water out compared to the amount of water in.
True...you can however rig one to use the waste water if you like. That is true also of a water softener...and there you cannot really use the waste.

In both cases in Las Vegas the water wasted enters the recycling system and is not lost.

To put the problem in context I would think the loss is a fraction of one percent of that lost by a swimming pool.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,680,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
True...you can however rig one to use the waste water if you like. That is true also of a water softener...and there you cannot really use the waste.

In both cases in Las Vegas the water wasted enters the recycling system and is not lost.

To put the problem in context I would think the loss is a fraction of one percent of that lost by a swimming pool.

true, swimming pools do loose a lot of water. Esp windy low humidity days.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,389,201 times
We have hard water up here...for about 7 months. We call it ice!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 10,016 times
Default Check out another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared77 View Post
I am looking at getting a water treatment system from H20 to Go with reverse osmosis and wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on this company or has any recommendations for a system. I was also going to look at H20 Concepts.

Thanks
Jared...ck out Deep Blue Water Technologies in Phoenix AZ. They manufacture their swimming pool and home water treatment in the US. Others are manufacturing in Mexico. I have found US manufacturers have immediate access to service questions. Buy American!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,439,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared77 View Post

Thanks
We bought a Kinetico whole house water treatment about 2 years ago. We have the treatment tank in the garage and use the salt pellets, we also have a drinking water r/o system under the kitchen sink which gives so many gallons of drinking water at a time. I forget how many, but it's more than we need.

We have unending "soft" water for the house and they hooked up a valve on the tank in the garage where we can wash our cars with soft water.

The r/o system connects into our water/ice dispenser on the fridge door, so we have r/o treated water there as well.

We have to replace the salt pellets in the tank in the garage about every 6-8 months, and the filter in the r/o system under the sink once a year.

You'll notice your clothes come cleaner in the washer/your shower door doesn't get those white spots, and your skin won't feel as dry when you take a shower when you have "softened" water.

We went for the mid-price system..$3000.00. The next highest was $5,000 but that was for a much larger usage home.

Those r/o and tank water systems you buy at places like Sears, Home Depot..they have a life of only about 6 years of optimal functioning before you have to replace the whole system. Should you move, they will come and take apart your system and move it and install it in your new house.

Getting that system installed has been the best thing we've ever done. I can't begin to tell you how many Sears Water Softener systems we've had over the years..and if we had a lot of folks over the house...our r/o would run out of drinking water and we'd have to wait for it to recharge with those systems because they didn't produce enough drinking water.

There are several good companies out there with all sorts of great home water purification systems...hope our experience has helped you a bit.

But do more research, all the companies give free estimates and then you'll make the right choice for you!

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 AM

572 posts, read 1,678,209 times
I'm all for the R/O system... if not for the whole house, at least for the drinking/kitchen water.

One thing to consider, Jared - are you doing the system for a whole house, or an apartment/condo? If a whole house, definitely go for a system such as the one that MomMom suggested. It will be worth the money in the long run.

If you have an apartment/condo, any sort of under-the-sink water system will be fine. I have one in my condo, I believe I bought it at Lowes (I think it's a GE system). It's pretty straightforward, there are three canisters, one gets changed ever six months, and one gets changed every year. It's hooked up through the water line coming into the apartment, and dispenses through a seperate tap on the sink, and is also wired into the water/ice dispenser on the refrigerator door. In the past two to three years that we have had it, I think I only ran out of water once... just had to wait a few hours for the tank to fill up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas