Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times

Advertisements

I have been anticipating on attending UNLV since my freshman year of high school. I'm now a junior year & have done my research. I want to go there for the Hotel Administration major & have heard positive things about it, especially on here. But I have concerns about the crime that I hear about there. And is it really as bad as everyone claims it to be. I know this has been asked alot, but it's a different answer everytime. I'm from Houston, Tx. And where I live is okay, but could be alot better. I'm comfortable here, but mainly cause I'm just used to it. But please reply with some feedback...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
By comparison to crime in Houston, Las Vegas is like a church social. Don't worry about it, crime is not that bad here. Unfortunately, there is crime everywhere, so it has become a relative thing to the size of the population of each city. My wife is from Houston, and we know that crime there is much worse than it is here. I'm much more afraid of crime in all other cities of comparable size to Las Vegas. Just sign up for classes and chill...you'll love it here.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
My fiance is already there at UNLV, she is a junior in the Hotel program. I will be following soon. She is from LA and I am from Detroit and let me assure you, it is never as bad as it seems (it is only as bad as you make it). I know Houston is now worse than Detroit and I will be the first to tell you truthfully that Vegas is like Bible camp compared to Houston or the Mo. You will be fine. Good luck with your schooling endevours and most of all, have fun.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
Like any city, there are some bad areas, but if you use common sense, you'll be fine.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I know Houston is now worse than Detroit...
No it's not! Detroit is #2 most dangerous on this top 25 list, and Houston's not even on it. On the large cities list, Detroit is #1 and Houston is down toward the bottom... Dallas is higher. The crime in Houston is vastly overblown by the media, apparently...

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM

Oh another one of those people who live by the statisics. Ah, the flawed logic makes me giggle. Houston is number three in violent crime per capita (one form of crime, not all of them lumped together like the list you referenced) Detroit is 4. Philly is number one. According to the NCJRS numbers bulletin I get every morning in our morning breifing. They released the new numbers a few months ago so your statistic mills probably have not updated their tools of fear yet. The site you are reffering to lumped auto thefts and home invasions into the violent crime category.

St. Louis is not number one. It was a computation error that included East St. Louis Il, into the statistical area that bumped up SLMO. ESL is the worst area per capita in the country with Sumpter SC bringing up second.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Nevermind, I stand corrected. I went to retrieve the bulletin and post it here and I got the two mixed up. What it said is that Houston is one behind detroit but rapidly closing in on the number three spot. So Detroit is worse.....For now.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
Thanks alot guys. I didn't even know that Houston was that bad. I mean other than hearing about rape cases everyday. That's what's on the news more frequently than murder cases. I thought Vegas would be way more worse than what yall are telling me. I've also heard that there is a very bad neighborhood by the college, is that true?

Thanks for all of yall help...

Old 09-19-2007, 07:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Crime is relative to the areas that are bad. Stay out of bad areas and use your noggin and you will do fine. Crime can strike you like lightning, if its not Vegas or Billing, MT

Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Nevermind, I stand corrected. I went to retrieve the bulletin and post it here and I got the two mixed up. What it said is that Houston is one behind detroit but rapidly closing in on the number three spot. So Detroit is worse.....For now.
Yes, statistics. What else should I go by, personal experience? If I did, I'd say Austin was more dangerous. That's not reality.

There was a violent crime jump in late 2005 and through 2006 due in large part to evacuees from bad parts of New Orleans after the hurricane there. Now that they're getting caught and facing a real justice system in Texas (unlike in Louisiana) and/or moving away, I expect the crime level to go down, if it's not already.

It would also help if you posted a link or something to back up your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: