Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times

Advertisements

Once again, I find myself investigating/touring colleges and so far, I haven't met any students from Las Vegas at any of the high ranking east coast universities or liberal arts colleges. I am sure they exist, but they don't seem to be numerous.

Where do the Las Vegas high school guidance counselors steer their above average students for college? California schools, like Berkely, UCLA, Stanford or other western schools? I have one friend whose son went to Rice. Where do the good students go if they cannot or do not want to go away to school? Is UNLV the only option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,711 times
My daughter was accepted to several, NYU,U Mass,Oklahoma State, SUNY at Albany, Syracuse, Arizona State and finally selected USC ( the West Coast school) . Graduated with honors from USC with a duel degree in NeuroScience and Psychology........just goes to prove that a kid can get a decent foundational education in Clark County and hold their own, nationwide.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM

579 posts, read 997,366 times
Quote:
I haven't met any students from Las Vegas at any of the high ranking east coast universities or liberal arts colleges
Why would you assume that students would want to go to college 2000+ miles away? There are plenty of good colleges in this part of the country.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:23 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,739 times
I don't quite get the question..Are you saying UNLV is crappy and no "smart" student would want to go there??

Or are you saying the east coast places are far superior than that of anywhere else...

Also in this day and age how many of the people in Universities are actually Americans???

AND how many that go actually get a job or career in their field... Or take a job cause they need one...

Old 05-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
Why would you assume that students would want to go to college 2000+ miles away? There are plenty of good colleges in this part of the country.

I am on the east coast for now and that's what I was asking. Do more of the Las Vegas students choose schools on the West Coast? There are many prestigious ones. I have met many students from CA at east coast schools, but not many from Nevada.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I don't quite get the question..Are you saying UNLV is crappy and no "smart" student would want to go there??

Or are you saying the east coast places are far superior than that of anywhere else...

Also in this day and age how many of the people in Universities are actually Americans???

AND how many that go actually get a job or career in their field... Or take a job cause they need one...
You have totally misunderstood. I mentioned Stanford, UCLA, etc. all super high ranking schools on the west coast. No one said that only good schools are on the west coast. My friend's son from LV went to Rice in Texas.

I didn't say that UNLV was a crappy school either. I was asking if there are any other options for commuter students for students who wish to attend a 4 year university and/or graduate school. Not debating careers, jobs, American citizenship. Just asking for information. Either you know or you don't.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 PM

579 posts, read 997,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I am on the east coast for now and that's what I was asking. Do more of the Las Vegas students choose schools on the West Coast? There are many prestigious ones. I have met many students from CA at east coast schools, but not many from Nevada.
California's population is about 13x Nevada's population. I think you are more likely to find people in any walk of life from CA than NV. NV has a high dropout rate too, so that does not help.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,859,367 times
The Meadows School sends plenty of kids to Ivy League schools. The students perform on par with the best public schools in Silicon Valley, and the parents have the money for a private university. For instance, Lynbrook High in San Jose had 53 National Merit semifinalists out of a class of around 430. Meadows had 10 out of a class of 70. That's actually a slightly higher percentage.

The public schools, not so much. Palo Verde High School in Summerlin: two National Merit semifinalists out of a class of over 800.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM

550 posts, read 637,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The Meadows School sends plenty of kids to Ivy League schools. The students perform on par with the best public schools in Silicon Valley, and the parents have the money for a private university. For instance, Lynbrook High in San Jose had 53 National Merit semifinalists out of a class of around 430. Meadows had 10 out of a class of 70. That's actually a slightly higher percentage.

The public schools, not so much. Palo Verde High School in Summerlin: two National Merit semifinalists out of a class of over 800.

Here is a link to the Meadows website, showing all the awards issued to their graduates and stating a 100% acceptance rate to 4 yr college for all it's graduates. Also a list of where they are all attending. Kind of a wide ranging inquiry, but hope this helps!

http://www.themeadowsschool.us/TMSv2...012_Accomp.pdf

Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,598 times
How many have you met from Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or az or nm? Small populations, generally less educated populace. Props to Utah though for their emphasis on education. But most of those people will go to Utah schools byu etc. very good schools but you know what they entail. Also beautiful women at byu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas