Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times

Advertisements

ROFLMAO I wasn't confused in the least Buzz.....If ya can't sell someone on you being the best thgen ya can't sell FOR them.......I have had people applying for a simple room reservqtions position that approached it the same way....one of them has moved on to a better position in the hotel and the other is still in the department and the best person I have..... SELL SELL SELL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 10:41 AM

261 posts, read 621,556 times
You may have thought of this already....maybe someone else said this in a post. But...

Have you taken a hard look at your resume? Sometimes, we think we're the world's best writers etc. But, you may not be showing how your skills transfer to the new position.
Is the format good? Have you picked a format that best suits your experiences (Functional v Chronological etc.)

Do you show results? How you made an impact on your projects?
Ex. Managed 30 IT folks...decreased cost 25% and saved the company $XDollars.....
Numbers are better than words.

Avoid language like "Responsible for".... it lacks impact. Same for your Cover letter. Get someone else to review your stuff.

Go out and start networking. Check magazines in the IT field. If you talk to a company and they give you the cold shoulder, ask them for recommendations on possible openings etc. In tight knit groups like IT, people know people. With Vegas being so small, they have connections. You have a military base out there, give them a shot.

If I were you, I would simultaneously start looking in other areas. Think of some places and then hit some of the forums on City Data with threads from those cities. They may be able to help you get connected.

Most importantly, keep plugging away. Don't give up. If what you're doing isn't working, try a new way. Switch the resume format up. Change the Cover Letter. Follow-up on calls. Try the professional networking sites (Linkedin etc.).

Start your own company.

All the best to you!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
To Toyojo...here's the post I mentioned that referenced lack of tech jobs in LV.

To all others...sorry for the bump on this old message...Toyo was asking me about LV & tech jobs. I also suggested he ask you gals/guys who are local, since I don't actually live there.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:22 AM

25 posts, read 101,974 times
Did Parking ever get a job?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,043 times
You need to hit the pavement hard, even in Vegas. No one will walk up to you with a great job on a silver platter. Keep on trying, cheer up, and something will pop up. Take anything to pay the bills for now.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Temp to perm is the term. Hmm, I didn't mean that to rhyme. But temp agency work is a great way to find a permanent job and earn money while you look. In my experience, a lot, if not most, temp jobs turn into permanent jobs.

As for the 5% unemployment rate...it has been a lot higher than that several times in the past. But right now it's because the housing market is in a huge slump. That effects everybody.

For anyone looking for work, I recommend the book, What Color is My Parachute. It will help you find work. I also recommend that you don't panic. Try to chill out and take the attitude that you are going to interview them about whether you want their job. Be polite, but be in control. And whatever you do, don't appear to be needy.

This may sound a little airy fairy maybe, but here's the thing. What you fear you become. What you resist you get. Parking, I think you might be in total fear that you won't get a job, so naturally, you won't. We get what we put our attention on. You may think you are working hard to get a job, but what you are really doing is working hard not to be out of a job...and that's what your attention is on...being out of a job. So naturally you'll have what your attention is on...being out of a job.

My football team, WVU, last Friday lost to South Florida because they weren't concentrating on winning; they were concentrating on not losing.

How do you do that? Well, I recall being out of work in 1970 and about ready to just shoot myself, when a friend introduced me to a course in communication. I was scared to death to spend what little money I had on the course, but I did. Anyway, about a week later I felt empowered; especially since I realized that up to that point I had never been able to communicate. That's when I ran into a guy I knew who told me he was working at a local radio station and he thought they needed someone in sales. I remember thinking, "that's my job". So I made an appointment and went in and more or less told the manager I was coming to work for him...when do I start?

Of course, he was impressed and I started the next day.

Back in another life when I was in the Marine Reserves, I was training at Parris Island for the second summer in a row, and my buddy was there for his first time. He was so scared I thought he was going to break, so I told him how I got through my first time. I decided not to give a sh**. After all, what is the worst that could happen? They aren't allowed to kill you. He still talks about how I saved him from panic way back then.

So just chill. My doc tells me that her best patients are the ones who don't worry about their health, don't want to know details, and they just take their illness in stride.

Throughout life we all go through all kinds of things that just add up to life experience. And down the road we look back and say, I'm glad that happened, because if it hadn't, I wouldn't be where I am today. Remember, it's all good and life is merely a game. That doesn't mean nothing in life is serious...it just means life has all the elements of games, and all games consist of only these three things...freedoms, barriers, and purposes. Play to win, not to avoid losing.
Buzz, have you thought of becoming a writer?

Old 11-03-2007, 01:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Buzz, have you thought of becoming a writer?
Yes I have, and if the book I have written is ever published maybe I can say I are one. I guess if I got off of the computer and back to work I could find a publisher. Seriously, I wrote hundreds of commercials for TV and dozens for radio, as well as other TV stuff, if that counts. I've had a few articles published in newspapers too. Thanks for the thought.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Yes I have, and if the book I have written is ever published maybe I can say I are one. I guess if I got off of the computer and back to work I could find a publisher. Seriously, I wrote hundreds of commercials for TV and dozens for radio, as well as other TV stuff, if that counts. I've had a few articles published in newspapers too. Thanks for the thought.
If you do publish a book, please proofread first.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
maybe I can say I are one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If you do publish a book, please proofread first.
Remember the old funny sign people would hang up that said, "Last yer i cudn't even spel selzmun, now i R one"?...or something like that.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:26 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,296 times
thanks jfkIII for the thread bump ! lol i hate to say it, but it seems like pursuing my love for technology and electronics wont do me any good here. anyone know of any other jobs that are in demand right now ? besides nursing. after what i saw nurses do to me after shoulder and knee surgery, i doubt i can do that to others haha

although luckily, my aunt said she can write me a letter or rec for a position at frys. but i dont want to work there for the rest of my life ! i was thinking of resort management as a second major. any insight and opinions will be greatly appreciated !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: