Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I keep hearing about the variable speed pump. Maybe this is the time to switch.
It will save you money in the long haul if you get a good variable speed pump. Since your pool is a simple pool without infloor cleaner you should see big savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 2,734,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
It will save you money in the long haul if you get a good variable speed pump. Since your pool is a simple pool without infloor cleaner you should see big savings.

Let me know if you find a good deal.
I need to talk to you anyway about pool cleaning in June.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM

120 posts, read 167,201 times
They've replaced the motor. it works well. We need to drain the pool but couldn't find the sewer line access. Where can I find it? I've searched on my property and couldn't find the sewer line access where I can drain the pool.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
They've replaced the motor. it works well. We need to drain the pool but couldn't find the sewer line access. Where can I find it? I've searched on my property and couldn't find the sewer line access where I can drain the pool.
It's usually near your front door, by the water shut-off. If I walk out my front door and turn right to follow the path to the garage, it's right by the corner of the garage. It might be buried under some vegetation. Mine was hidden under an out-of-control rosemary bush for years. When the rosemary bush was taken out, the cover was there, clearly visible.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM

120 posts, read 167,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
It's usually near your front door, by the water shut-off. If I walk out my front door and turn right to follow the path to the garage, it's right by the corner of the garage. It might be buried under some vegetation. Mine was hidden under an out-of-control rosemary bush for years. When the rosemary bush was taken out, the cover was there, clearly visible.
how deep was it?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Sometimes it is impossible to find the sewer access if it is burried. What i've done is actually put my hose to the manhole in the street and put cones and signs up so no body drives or falls into it. The other alternative is to drain it to your neighbors if they give your permission or drain it to the street but that is a no-no if you get caught.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
NV Energy has a $200 variable speed pool pump rebate if you buy thru vendors in town (Leslies, NPS, etc.). I recommend the Pentair variable speed pump.

I think they're around $1100 installed after the rebate. Call NPS and they should be able to tell you over the phone a ballpark price.

I've been saving around $30-$40/month in electricity since I installed the pump (almost a year now). They are dead quiet too and I expect it will last a long longer since it runs slower and much cooler than my old single speed pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Let me know if you find a good deal.
I need to talk to you anyway about pool cleaning in June.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
I thought I read something the other day about the City of Phoenix requiring you replace old pumps with variable speed if yours should break. They run about $800 plus a couple hundred to install (I have no idea but aren't there just two wires to connect?) I hear people say they save about $30 a month but most of them only have a year or two warranty and I am worried about the heat and the electronic exposure of the controls (I think some of them have control units away from the pump but, that's more wiring expense). As pointed out, most of the energy companies are allowing a $200 rebate (which is probably reflected in the $800 asking price).

Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
I paid $750 after rebate out the door from NPS and did the install myself. It's not difficult, but it is more than screwing in two wires. You have to connect the plumbing which in my case it was close in dimensions to the old pump but I still had to cut the pipes, glue on couplers, etc. In some cases, depending on your plumbing, you might not have room to simply cut the pipe and glue in couplers (mine barely had enough room). Also on mine the electrical connection on the variable speed pump was in a different spot than on my old pump and the wire barely had enough length to reach the old one, so I had to do some rewiring to get the cable long enough to reach the new pump. And I had to bypass the external intermatic timer my old pump used since the new pump has the timer built in. Finally you have to calibrate the pump, which you can use the calculators online, but you have to do some calculations with your plumbing head and RPM to guesstimate the flow rate. In my case I was trying to get the pool to turn over 1x per day. I also had to adjust the flow rate to be high enough to cause the salt water chlorinator flow switch to flip on and see that water was flowing and allow the salt cell to work. On the lowest flow setting my salt chlorinator didn't turn on.

Probably sounds more difficult than it was, but I still spent 2-4 hours working on it and while I'm no super DIY'er, I have done a lot of DIY projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
I thought I read something the other day about the City of Phoenix requiring you replace old pumps with variable speed if yours should break. They run about $800 plus a couple hundred to install (I have no idea but aren't there just two wires to connect?) I hear people say they save about $30 a month but most of them only have a year or two warranty and I am worried about the heat and the electronic exposure of the controls (I think some of them have control units away from the pump but, that's more wiring expense). As pointed out, most of the energy companies are allowing a $200 rebate (which is probably reflected in the $800 asking price).

Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
From my experience the Pentair/Starite VS units are pretty solid. I've seen a few of them fail due to electronics issues (mother board went bad but pump and motor was fine). Very expensive to fix unless its under warranty. I would avoid the Hayward or Jandy systems since i've seen more of the Hayward VS (tristar) units fail. I've seen moderate failures with the Jandy units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: