Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,875 times

Advertisements

This may sound silly. Could you use a programmable thermostat for a pool?
Maybe someone makes such a thing for a pool?

I know up here in MN they save a fortune on heating a house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
This may sound silly. Could you use a programmable thermostat for a pool?
Maybe someone makes such a thing for a pool?

I know up here in MN they save a fortune on heating a house!
i don't see how that would affect anything.. you only heat the pool for when you are going to use it... by the end of may, the heat is not necessary since pool is 85 degrees constant.. at least mine is...

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times
It was already installed by a pool design company now out of business. Mine is a pebble tec pool kind of oval shaped. I do have another home nearby with a pool without a heater. Removed a solar roof mounted panel when I bought the home. It had blown partially off and ruined the sheetrock in the upstairs bedroom from leaking. I plan to possibly put a gas heater in there but will need to run a line from the front of the property. I had hoped to use the bbq gas stub out but I have been told it is too small of a line for a pool heater.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM

2,542 posts, read 2,736,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
It was already installed by a pool design company now out of business. Mine is a pebble tec pool kind of oval shaped. I do have another home nearby with a pool without a heater. Removed a solar roof mounted panel when I bought the home. It had blown partially off and ruined the sheetrock in the upstairs bedroom from leaking. I plan to possibly put a gas heater in there but will need to run a line from the front of the property. I had hoped to use the bbq gas stub out but I have been told it is too small of a line for a pool heater.

That is exactly what I am worried about. I have a bbq gas stub in the back but it is probably too small for a pool heater. You have just confirmed that.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
That is exactly what I am worried about. I have a bbq gas stub in the back but it is probably too small for a pool heater. You have just confirmed that.
I believe you get two things from a pool heater...you extend the season 6 weeks on either end and you can use the spa year round.

To do this well you should get a heater somewhat oversized for the pool. What you want is to be able to drive the spa from 40 degrees to 100 degrees in less than an hour. My pool in CA could actually do it in 30 minutes. Good systems can be set up so you push the spa button in the house and it all happens. That adds another $1200 to the cost though for a controller and auto valving.

If all you have is the pool you can probably use a small gas feed and smaller heater. You don't care as you generally need a day to drive a full pool to temperature.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
my whole pool goes from 65ish to 103 in about 8 hours, all 15,000 gallons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: