Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 AM

247 posts, read 254,140 times

Advertisements

Eco tint did a groupon last year so it cost me 135 and they are highly recommended,I'm sure as soon as it cools off this year they will do another groupon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
As to not start another thread. My truck, 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab, has factory? window tint. It's definitely film. I would like to go darker, 5% rear, 20% front before next summer. Will they remove the factory 100% stuff, or go over it?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
As to not start another thread. My truck, 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab, has factory? window tint. It's definitely film. I would like to go darker, 5% rear, 20% front before next summer. Will they remove the factory 100% stuff, or go over it?
They will remove it, front windows are simple to remove tint from. The hard tint to get off is the back window when it has integrated defrost or antenna on the inside of the glass.

I've seen tint on tint look good before, but the existing better be in perfect shape. I'd never do it.

If you are talking about the factory glass tint(70% opacity), this is built into the glass and they lay film over it. Most front windows are 70% factory + 50% film brings you to the 43% range, which is what is legal for front glass last time I checked.

Back widows on SUVs are usually AC3 glass which is much darker than 70%. You can add a layer of film right over this too with no issues.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
It's definitely a film. It's 100% see through. No tinting at all. Almost like a protective covering. I didn't know there was anything there until I rolled down the window and saw the edge of the film.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:52 PM

687 posts, read 1,944,822 times
Thumbs up Tint Place

I took my sister's little 4 door Toyota to Desert Tint on Lake Mead Ave. last year. It's on the corner. Some bad yelp reviews I know, but they worked well for me. Could not have been happier with their service. There was already a crappy tint job on the windows that had bubbled all over and looked kind of purple. I talked to Eddie and after we dropped the car off he drove us over to Texas Station so we could get some breakfast and kill some time while the car was retinted. I wanted 5% on the rear three windows and 35% on the front two, but he talked us into a darker 20 or 15% on the front two. He said we would thank him in the summer time and he was right. He picked us back up after calling in about 2 hours. He also replaced the band of tint on the top of the windshield, saying he couldn't let a car leave his shop with a crappy piece like that still on the car. Think they charged me $100. Not sure. I tipped him $20, but I tip everyone. Anyway, his name was Eddie. He had the neck tattoos but was really a pretty cool guy and told some neat stories. I'd use these guys again without hesitation. They steamed the old film off the rear window without interfering with the defroster. These guys know what they are doing.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 AM

78 posts, read 311,516 times
Default Tinting time !!

As a new transplant to LV area, I need to get my car (4 door sedan) windows tinted. Looking up some reviews and threads it appears the two most recommended companies are

1) eco-tint - Offers LLumar films and Air Blue 80 (front windshield) with about 40% total heat rejection for both

2) dc auto tint - Offers nano-particle series that claims 91% IR heat rejection and DermafilmUV (front windshield)

Is one better over the other ? I am looking for best total heat rejection when parked (in malls/shopping)
as I do not drive too much (ceramic is out i guess).

Does eco-tint do ATR series of LLumar ?

Is it legal to tint front windshields ?

LLumar specs - http://llumar.blob.core.windows.net/...2014-02-05.pdf (Does anyone know the IR heat rejection %s for these ?)

Nano particle series - Nanoparticle Series - Luxury Window Tinting

Last edited by lanb; 05-18-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I never had any idea there was this much to know about window tint. Thanks for the education. Now I have more things to consider in my hunt for a new used vehicle.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:36 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Good for you for caring about how the film actually performs. Most people are pretty clueless and think the only difference is the amount of VLT.

TSER is the measurement that matters for keeping your car cool (or SHGC, which is 1 - TSER).

Windshield tint is not legal but Air 80 is light enough that it is very unlikely to be noticed, unless LVMPD starts carrying around tint meters. And if that happens, they're going to notice the 5% on front windows long before they'll notice your windshield.

There are higher performing films than Llumar, but they are pretty pricey, and typically only offered by high-end shops (not the ones offering to tint a whole car for $120 with a Groupon). Figure a minimum of $500 for 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik Ceramic.

I can vouch for EcoTint, or at least I could when I took my wife's old car there a few years ago. AFAIK the ownership has not changed, so I'd expect the same quality of install. I can see on their web site that they do carry Llumar ATR as a special order. It was the owner Mike, who spent some time with me on the phone (I didn't ask, he seemed eager to share his thoughts on film selection to someone who was interested) and told me he thought the higher TSER films were more of an advantage for moving rather than parked cars. His theory is that the reflected energy heats the windshield more so unless you've got moving air to remove the heat, it's not worth that stiff premium to install 3M Crystalline or Huper Optik over the Llumar ceramic films.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:36 PM

557 posts, read 793,333 times
I have 50% all around 3M Crystalline. The heat/sun reduction specs of the 50% on the Crystalline line are very similar to the 5% ( limo tint ) of standard dyed film. The 3M Crystalline is very pricey but the performance is well worth it.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:13 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanb View Post
As a new transplant to LV area, I need to get my car (4 door sedan) windows tinted. Looking up some reviews and threads it appears the two most recommended companies are

1) eco-tint - Offers LLumar films and Air Blue 80 (front windshield) with about 40% total heat rejection for both

2) dc auto tint - Offers nano-particle series that claims 91% IR heat rejection and DermafilmUV (front windshield)

Is one better over the other ? I am looking for best total heat rejection when parked (in malls/shopping)
as I do not drive too much (ceramic is out i guess).

Does eco-tint do ATR series of LLumar ?

Is it legal to tint front windshields ?

LLumar specs - http://llumar.blob.core.windows.net/...2014-02-05.pdf (Does anyone know the IR heat rejection %s for these ?)

Nano particle series - Nanoparticle Series - Luxury Window Tinting

I took my 2012 Charger to Las Vegas Window Tinting on Cameron. They did a great job, cut me a deal on the front windshield, and when a dog hair got on a back window they re-did it immediately without complaint, even though it was my fault, my car had lots of dog hair, it is hard to get out every hair!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas