Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 152,694 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am currently going to a private college in Wisconsin. I was thinking of leaving my current major (nursing) and switching to another one when I realized how few majors there really are here. It's all minors; it's ridiculous! So, my sister said I could live with her in Las Vegas and go to UNLV. That would save me a lot of money and give me more options for majors. I've heard a lot about bad schools in LV and I was wondering if that applies to the university too. Is it easy to get lost in the crowd? Right now, my school has about 3,000 students. I understand UNLV has 28,000. Oh yes, I have very good grades, if that matters at all to what you were going to say. Any info or advice you have would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
It is a quite adequate undergraduate University. I would have concerns about many of its graduate programs but not the lower level. You will likely have a good time as well.

It is a very good buy if you are a good student and can establish residence.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:32 PM

105 posts, read 147,052 times
I lived in Vegas for several years and helped start the career center at another college. UNLV is an allright school and you can get a good education there and in most places if you apply yourself.

No, its not in the league of the University of California - Berkeley over to that state right west of Nevada and its not even on a par with University of Wisconsin Madison where you come from.

Its still a decent school and in many ways you get what you put into it.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
I lived in Vegas for several years and helped start the career center at another college. UNLV is an allright school and you can get a good education there and in most places if you apply yourself.

No, its not in the league of the University of California - Berkeley over to that state right west of Nevada and its not even on a par with University of Wisconsin Madison where you come from.

Its still a decent school and in many ways you get what you put into it.
I certainly agree...but to get into Berkeley or UCLA is no small task. For that matter it is not as good a school as UNR.

Then again it is a pretty good school for an undergraduate.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:14 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,589 times
I went to UNLV and got my degree there. Before I had went there and while attending I heard people cut down UNLV saying it was bad. BUT.... it was all people that never went there, they just perpetuated unfounded rumors.

My opinion of UNLV? I was very happy with the eduction I received there. I loved the school, I had wonderful professors wtih the exception of maybe one or two the entire time, and found it to be a good place. The professors are always more than willing to help you with answering questions and giving guidance. They have some good student associations/groups you can join as well. Things like that will help you not get lost in the crowd.

I'm very happy with UNLV, I think it was (and still is) a good university. I enjoyed my time there and I think you probably would too. I've never heard anything bad about UNLV from people that actually attended the university.

Plus they have been growing a lot over the years. They have some beautiful new buildings since I graduated three years ago. New student union, dorms, classrooms. It's a very nice campus and they have a wonderful library.

The only thing I can say negative about that school is the parking situation. Because of all the new buildings and construction there over the years, parking has remained an issue. Not that you can't find a spot to park (I always did) but sometimes takes a while. If you live close enough you can walk.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that there are 28,000 students there. Many are part timers taking one or two courses a semester. I never felt lost in the crowd there.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other UNLV questions.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:05 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,258 times
the important question is, how are the babes there?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

How utterly sexist!

Las Vegas is the babe capitol of the World...UNLV is no exception.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
How utterly sexist!

WOOT WOOT!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

I think that would completely depend upon what you consider a "babe." I'm sure there are some babes and some not-so-babes.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:21 PM

52 posts, read 193,868 times
Babes can be men too... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
How utterly sexist!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: