Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
The ECM doesn't store codes forever, especially if the light goes out. Usually, codes are only stored for a specified number of key cycles (start car/shut off car). Depends on the manufacturer as to how many key cycles it takes to erase the code.

If during those key cycles, the problem happens again, then the countdown is reset.

Loose gas caps will almost always make the light come on...and if the problem is corrected, the ECM will "forget" about it after a week or so (depends on how often you drive the car).

Its also worth mentioning, the check engine light on all 97+ cars with OBDII is ONLY for emissions faults. Meaning, if the light is on, you have a problem with the emissions system, and not necessarily with anything else. Or, counter to that, just because your light isn't on doesn't mean there aren't problems. The ECM will store codes, even without turning the light on, if the problems are not emission related.
Mine pulled 2 specific codes, neither had to do with emissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 PM

542 posts, read 986,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Mine pulled 2 specific codes, neither had to do with emissions.
Your light was on for another reason then.

When you say "valve body", are you talking about the one on your transmission?

There are certain features that are mandated by law for OBDII. Its a standardized system so the EPA can effectively monitor emissions standards of vehicles sold in the US. Manufacturers can add to the system, but the basics must be there for every vehicle. Where the OBD test port is located (Drivers footwell) is one of them. That's why they are all in the same spot on every vehicle. Check engine light for emissions only is another. That's why every other system on the vehicle has a light that should come on when you turn the key on.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Your light was on for another reason then.

When you say "valve body", are you talking about the one on your transmission?

Yes. That sucker set me back $1600 because I was 21 days out of warranty.

I have also replaced the brake light switch (the other code).

I know a little about cars, thankfully! But I still worry about things going wrong.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I think you get one or two years until you have to get a new car emissioned. There is also an an exemption for hybrids. For me personally, it has been every single year I have had to emission my car, and I am sick of it.
no exemption for hybrids.. i have both a prius and insight

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes. That sucker set me back $1600 because I was 21 days out of warranty.

I have also replaced the brake light switch (the other code).

I know a little about cars, thankfully! But I still worry about things going wrong.
That sucks! At 21 days, I can't believe they wouldn't help you out. Though, I just tried to help a friend get something fixed under the just expired warranty on his car, and the dealer told him to shove it too.

You'd think for a few hundred dollars out of their pocket, they'd want to make a customer happy, so they might buy another car there. Customers aren't always right, now days.

Brake light switches are hooked to a number of systems in modern cars. Some of them are very expensive, and can even leave the vehicle undriveable. Hopefully you got off easy with that?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
That sucks! At 21 days, I can't believe they wouldn't help you out. Though, I just tried to help a friend get something fixed under the just expired warranty on his car, and the dealer told him to shove it too.

You'd think for a few hundred dollars out of their pocket, they'd want to make a customer happy, so they might buy another car there. Customers aren't always right, now days.

Brake light switches are hooked to a number of systems in modern cars. Some of them are very expensive, and can even leave the vehicle undriveable. Hopefully you got off easy with that?
All VW would do for me was offer me $700 toward the purchase of a NEW VW. I told them where to stick that. The valve body is an expensive part regardless and a known defect on my car but they dont care.

Yes, the brake light switch is an easy fix. It attaches behind the brake pedal and I was able to get a guy at a nearby auto parts store to do it for me (tho I could have done it myself) It was like $15

Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM

AHH you didn't mention it was a VW

Ze Germans feel you should be proud to pay zem to fix your car, because it is ze best car in ze world, and if you want to drive ze best, you have to pay for ze best!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
Quote:
AHH you didn't mention it was a VW

Ze Germans feel you should be proud to pay zem to fix your car, because it is ze best car in ze world, and if you want to drive ze best, you have to pay for ze best!
It's made in Mexico

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no exemption for hybrids.. i have both a prius and insight
In CA, hybrids have never had to be smogged, even mild hybrids, which aren't really hybrids at all. CA Bureau of Auto Repair has stated that the exemption would end in 2010, when they expected to have new test procedures in place, but that hasn't happened. I've read that new testing procedures due to roll out in 2013 may end this exemption.

Cars less than six years old are also exempt from biennial testing in CA.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
It's assembled in Mexico
Fixed it for you

It was designed, engineered, drawn, made out of clay, tested in the wind tunnel in Germany, and that's also where the profits go.

The actual car itself is very low on the "made in" list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas