Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,711 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice or new knowledge from anyone who owns, just bought, or has been living in a home for a while.

I'm interested in purchasing a home in Las Vegas by the end of this year and want to know the perks of buying a house vs. a condo.

I've paid off my car and credit cards, as well as shaved off my car insurance to as low as I can get - same with cell phone (ditched the smartphone). So my expenses are next to nothing currently, besides gas, but I get good mileage in my car. I was looking to purchase something on the market for 80k$ or less, and will also have my S.O. living with me to pick up half of the mortgage/utilities costs. We both have decent jobs, but nothing high end on the payscale.

Is there anything you guys would advise against with the current market? Any tips you can throw my way? Any point of view on homes v. condos out here would be much appreciated; as well as foreclosures if anybody has had experience lately with purchasing one of them.

lv875
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Save as much money as you can and learn about areas where you can find something in your price range. There's not much available there. You may be limited to condos. Make sure you plan for the maintenance fees.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
The problem you'll have is finding something for sale in your price range. In the last two or three months, the housing market has heated up quite a bit. Anything decent is getting multiple offers, especially in your lower price range.

Step one is getting pre-approved. Find out what you can afford. You can call Wells Fargo Mortgage or any reputable mortgage office to get you pre-approved, find what you can afford, what it will cost, and how much cash you'll have to come up with. You'll need to be pre-approved before you submit any offers anyways, since most sellers won't look at an offer without a pre-approval letter.

How much are you looking to put down? Do you have good credit (have you checked your credit? Will you be purchasing the home yourself or with your SO? Do you need to include your SO income to qualify for a mortgage? Does your SO have good credit?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
$80,000 can be tight for a house if you want to stay in a lower crime area. But there are some that they refer to as detached houses, which are really townhouses with about 12" between them as to not be a TH or Condo, and not have the higher fees. Of course you won't get a lovely pool to sit out by, and pretty green grounds, but you will get a garage, and patio and maybe a few feet of area left for the dog. Anyway, better than a condo in my mind. They will have HOA fees, but more reasonable ones in the $50-$75 range.

Or if you don't mind being in the light "orange district" you will not have much problem finding something. Also, condo's are hard to finance, and I would think the "detached" home would make for a better resale, but this is a new concept to me, so not 100% certain.

Here's a cute small house with really nice back yard in the orange area: http://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/6.../home/29224544

Here's an example of an "attached" house. This one even has a community pool. http://www.redfin.com/NV/Las-Vegas/7.../home/29061152

http://www.redfin.com/NV/North-Las-V.../home/29269731

Last edited by modhatter; 05-25-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
As a first-time buyer in today's market, you might want to consider a lease-option purchase. That will enable you to: (1) lock-in today's price for the next year or so; (2) accrue part of your downpayment out of your monthly lease fee; (3) truly evaluate what living in a house ... and a particular area will be like for you; (4) get a much clearer picture of the market in your area (I understand that the LV market is still all over the map ... and anything but, settled.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As a first-time buyer in today's market, you might want to consider a lease-option purchase. That will enable you to: (1) lock-in today's price for the next year or so; (2) accrue part of your downpayment out of your monthly lease fee; (3) truly evaluate what living in a house ... and a particular area will be like for you; (4) get a much clearer picture of the market in your area (I understand that the LV market is still all over the map ... and anything but, settled.
Which brings up another thought. They have these neighborhood revitalization houses that they go in and rehab (not nec. in bad areas) and sell to homeowners (meaning not fighting the investors with cash) That might be an option too. Don't know the particulars on those. Maybe some Realtors could chime in.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I purchased on a first time buyers program back in a very different market. I put 3% down on a 117k home. The market went nuts a few years later, but seems to be leveling off. I think the 80k properties are going to cash investors at this point.

The monthly nut on a 100k property with a minimum down is pretty attractive right now. Less than rent. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
Real Estate scumbags are using this traditional moving season and low inventory due to postponed and shadow housing inventory from the banks to make you believe that we have reached housing bottom.

Just wait until October when prices start declining again.
Nothing is resolved......as a matter of fact it's even worst.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 PM

104 posts, read 1,073,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Or if you don't mind being in the light "orange district" you will not have much problem finding something. Also, condo's are hard to finance, and I would think the "detached" home would make for a better resale, but this is a new concept to me, so not 100% certain.
What is the orange district?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:26 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBeta View Post
What is the orange district?
Not the Presidio and not the Tenderloin, kind of in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas