Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I only say this because you're very self deprecating, i.e. you're admittedly a drunk, without a lot of friends, who lives on the cheap. In other words your experience is the polar opposite of someone well off. It's nothing personal.
Ok, I really cannot deny that. Fair enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
If it were just me, my wife, my mother in law, my aunt, and my buddy in Henderson, that'd be one thing. It's when you add in my (and my wife's) coworkers that "people don't know their neighbors in Las Vegas" goes from "anecdotal" to "trend." At least in my mind it does.

I have a LOT of coworkers. And we talk a lot while we work. And one of the things we talk about is where we lived before here, and the differences. Until I met MacGeek, I have never talked to someone who had positive things to say about his or her neighborhood. Opinion ranges from, "It's OK, I guess" to "My neighbors are creepy."

It's not like I WANT everyone to have the same experience in their neighborhood that we do in ours. Far from it.

I think because of the transient nature of this town, the fact that a lot of people work odd hours, and a "Las Vegas X-factor," that this city simply is not as neighborly as other cities. It's great that some people live in the exceptions to the rule. But I still think they're the exceptions.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
^ this makes Vegas even more appealing to me. I dont want to live somewhere that my neighbors are in my business.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
^ this makes Vegas even more appealing to me. I dont want to live somewhere that my neighbors are in my business.
...until you need your neighbor's help for something. I have seen it plenty of times on the local news about fires, abductions, vandalism and general crime happen to someone. The news reporter interviews some people in the neighborhood. The people always say that "I didn't even know her" or "I didn't know that that car was suspicious because I usually mind my own business" or " I just come home and close the garage so..." or "he saved my life and I don't even know his name".

Sent from my iPhone while driving using Tapatalk.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
...until you need your neighbor's help for something. I have seen it plenty of times on the local news about fires, abductions, vandalism and general crime happen to someone. The news reporter interviews some people in the neighborhood. The people always say that "I didn't even know her" or "I didn't know that that car was suspicious because I usually mind my own business" or " I just come home and close the garage so..." or "he saved my life and I don't even know his name".

Sent from my iPhone while driving using Tapatalk.
I've gone this long in life without having block parties and BBQs with my neighbors. I'll be fine.

I lived next door to some busy-body old people for about 4 years, and they were ALWAYS up my you-know-what. I would catch the wife peeking out her curtains at me every time I was outside...I would wave at her to let her know I saw her and the curtain would suddenly close. I found out from someone else that she thought she had my entire life fingured out and was telling other people incorrect stuff about be based on what she thought she knew. Drove me NUTS! But she never actually spoke to me. Not once in 4 years. I don't need that, either.

Good neighbors are aware fo the neighborhood goings on without being nosy or forcing to be someone's new bestie just because you live next door. The whole Wilson next door neighbor on Home Improvement would make me crazy! I'll help my neighbors out in a crisis and I am sure they would do the same. But we don't need to bake cookies for each other.

And guess what? I am not ALOOF!

Old 06-15-2012, 12:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,886 times
Well said Ella Tea People sometimes people do not know what limits are especially when they live near you. I once lived in a place where the woman next door was the neighbor hood gossip Queen. Well I switched jobs and started working nights. I usually left for work after she was in bed and got home before she awoke in the morning. So instead of asking she told everyone I was a bum did not work and my wife was supporting me because she saw me only in the day time.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
I've gone this long in life without having block parties and BBQs with my neighbors. I'll be fine.

I lived next door to some busy-body old people for about 4 years, and they were ALWAYS up my you-know-what. I would catch the wife peeking out her curtains at me every time I was outside...I would wave at her to let her know I saw her and the curtain would suddenly close. I found out from someone else that she thought she had my entire life fingured out and was telling other people incorrect stuff about be based on what she thought she knew. Drove me NUTS! But she never actually spoke to me. Not once in 4 years. I don't need that, either.

Good neighbors are aware fo the neighborhood goings on without being nosy or forcing to be someone's new bestie just because you live next door. The whole Wilson next door neighbor on Home Improvement would make me crazy! I'll help my neighbors out in a crisis and I am sure they would do the same. But we don't need to bake cookies for each other.

And guess what? I am not ALOOF!
I don't care about block parties or BBQs either.

I never had to deal with nosey neighbors in my entire life so I can not really comment on that. But I do have a general idea of whats going on in the vicinity of my home. I have 6 different neighbor's phone numbers in my cell for emergencies. Have never called anyone except to remind one of them that they left their garage door open when it was late out(that neighbor REALLY appreciated it). My wife has gotten the same call twice while I was deployed about our garage door being left open by accident at around 11pm.

I do not want to know anyone's personal business. I really dont care unless you are doing something illegal or something that will bring the property value down.

About 2 years ago in our old neighborhood, there was a break in. Some electronics and other small things were stolen. The house that was broken into was about 9 houses down the street. I did not know who lived in it, never seen anyone outside, nothing. I actually thought the house was empty. During the police investigation, the the police came down to my house to ask me some questions about the break in. The owner suggested that the police come to talk to me because he always saw me outside with my kids, doing yard work, messing with my car in the garage or waving hello to whoever passes by.(Im from the south)

Come to find out, the owner was the same guy who I see almost everyday passing by my house. I would put my hand up in the air to wave, but he had tinted windows so I never knew if he was waiving back or not. His car would just disappear down the street, never to be seen till the next day. That went on for over a year. The first time I met this guy face to face is when he was asking me about a certain type of car that might have been in his driveway. He thought that his ex wife's new boyfriend had something to do with the break in. This guy was starting to **** me off with thinking that "I must have saw something". He even told me "I see you outside all of the time with your kids". "You know me, I'm the guy in the silver BMW that pass by everyday"

Then I pissed him off...

I told him sorry for what happened but you keep to yourself and never speak to anyone in the neighborhood. How the hell is anyone suppose to know if a "suspicious" car is in your driveway when ANY car in your driveway will look suspicious because no one knows anything about the house you live in. I don't know your name, relationship status, age, race, work place, NOTHING.

"but I wave to you everyday..."

How the !@#$% am I suppose to know if you wave back to me with you having 5% window tint on your car. I wave to every car that passes by. Its the neighborly thing to do. Your silver BMW is not special. You pass by everyday minding your own business and hoping no one gets in yours, BUT now you want me to be in your business because of a personal incident that happened to you. Good luck

That was the last time we spoke.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I told him sorry for what happened but you keep to yourself and never speak to anyone in the neighborhood. How the hell is anyone suppose to know if a "suspicious" car is in your driveway when ANY car in your driveway will look suspicious because no one knows anything about the house you live in. I don't know your name, relationship status, age, race, work place, NOTHING.
My neighbor's house was burgalized a couple years back. Same thing -- she drives to work, comes home, and the only time I ever see her is if I happen to working in the garage at the time. This is the same neighbor who wouldn't open the door when I let her know about an irrigation leak that created a small pond between our houses. She's never outside. Maybe she suffers from agoraphobia or something. In five years we've said maybe 10 words to each other.

But I think her "set your watch by it" pattern is what led to her house being burglarized. Not her aloofness.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
I agree. My HOA says you can't leave your garage door open. So, we don't unless we are out doing yardwork. I think a lot of the homes now have family rooms in the back of the house so that you don't really ever see what is going on out the front. Many doors are on the side of the house. (I don't really care for that) I really do think that some areas of Las Vegas are not set up for socializing neighborhoods. Especially the newer ones.

Here in MI, our garage door is open all day until we go to bed at night.

When we first moved into our home, we were away for the weekend, did not know any neighbors at all, and our hot water tank went out and water was coming out the garage door. My neighbor went and turned the water off at the main. Thankfully. So, yes, I like having neighbors who are aware of their surroundings and I try to be that also. Those neighbors have both of our cell numbers, in case of emergency. We have invited them to come swim but they haven't as far as we know! When we are gone, we tell them and vice versa. The neighbors on the other side are renters and they are pretty friendly also. I could not tell you who belongs in any of the other houses. I wouldn't know if they were intruders or not. Maybe when I get there in a couple weeks, I will know more.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,331 times
Henderson is a "slice of heaven". I would not want to live anywhere else, except Tahiti, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas