Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times

Advertisements

^^^^ Here;s the problem with per capita percentages though. Las Vegas has a high per capita incidence BUT all those drunk, lost, stupid tourist jumping walls (Designed to herd them to the overheads for their own safety.) are added people whom are not counted because they are not residents. They ARE here though..... in mass and in a concentrated area wondering around like lemmings, looking up at the pretty lights at intersections with out of town drivers looking up at the pretty lights too!

Nature has a way of thinning the herd....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM

579 posts, read 997,651 times
I think most of the pedestrians that get run over here are locals. The Alabama couple was more the exception. I could be wrong, but my memory makes me think many were not tourists, and happened on roads frequented by locals. I'm not saying the tourists are smart pedestrians, but I would guess the low driving speeds in the tourist areas makes it easier for cars to stop, or if there is contact the injuries are not as severe.

Last edited by LVPoker1; 05-31-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ Las Vegas has a high per capita incidence BUT all those drunk, lost, stupid tourist jumping walls (Designed to herd them to the overheads for their own safety.) are added people whom are not counted because they are not residents. They ARE here though..... in mass and in a concentrated area wondering around like lemmings, looking up at the pretty lights at intersections with out of town drivers looking up at the pretty lights too!

Nature has a way of thinning the herd....
If the tourists in this town stayed sober the whole time, there would go our tourist economy! Think of all those expensive drinks they buy, the liquor loosens up many of them, and then they find themselves gambling, losing money, buying other things on impulse, which helps to stimulate our economy!

The distractions of looking up at pretty lights at intersections, or driving down the Strip and not being distracted continually, what would you expect!! I avoid driving on the Strip, anytime of the day, because of those distractions, fearful I'll run somebody over!

Like I said in a previous post, these tourists are Las Vegas' bread and butter and we need to safeguard their lives, drunk or sober, even if reducing the speed limit to 25MPH in the Strip areas! Widening the sidewalks, reducing the lanes on the Strip would also help!

Please, let's show some respect for the foolish drunken tourists that can add so much to our economy!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-31-2012 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
I'm assuming this story is from today. It truly has been a merciless year for people getting run down on the roads here.

Vegas woman stopped to help injured dog, killed by car - My News 3 - KSNV, Las Vegas, NV

Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm assuming this story is from today. It truly has been a merciless year for people getting run down on the roads here.

Vegas woman stopped to help injured dog, killed by car - My News 3 - KSNV, Las Vegas, NV
This is just not a safe thing to do. Would you get out of your car in the middle of boulder highway in the dark? People just have to use common sense when it comes to their own safety. You take a risk, you will pay sometimes with your life.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
This is just not a safe thing to do. Would you get out of your car in the middle of boulder highway in the dark? People just have to use common sense when it comes to their own safety. You take a risk, you will pay sometimes with your life.
I have done this a couple of times and am haunted years later by a time I failed to do so.

The key is to place your car to block the area and back 30 or 40 feet. Blinkers on and brake set and then tend to the animal. If you got a couple of cars it works even better.

Yes you may cause someone to total an auto and they may claim it your fault.

But still better alive and sued then dead.

The haunting was on the 95 and a cat that had been hit and its hind quarters crushed. It was suffering and screaming and needed to be put down.

But I was too close and it was too dangerous to stop so I had to drive over it.

Damn sound is still buried in the back of my brain.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post

Hard to say. Depends on the situation. I've got a big heart for animals. I've driven past strays on the road that I know I'd never have a chance of catching up with nor would they trust me to get close.

At the dog park on eastern and warm springs they recently built right on the road, I've seen people (foolishly) take their dogs in and out of cars without leashes. As you can probably expect, I've seen quite a few dogs and owners narrowly escape death running onto warm springs.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
How is 45 MPH too high of a speed limit for a six lane mostly divided roads with mostly controlled left turn outs? Where else are 6 lane divided roads, many of which are state highways, lower than 45? If a speed limit is too low is causes safety, capacity, and enter/exit issues. Speed limits are based on 85th percentile, and if they were lower on the 6 lane roads all over the city away from the strip, they would go against one of the most basic traffic engineering guidelines.
It's too high because people regularly drive ten miles over the speed limit here. They treat Ann Rd like it's part of the highway. People's houses open off to that street. Little kids cross to go to school. people regularly drive 55+ on Ann. I hate the 45 mph speed limits here.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Why not enforce the 45mph? Lowering it below 45 to get people to drive 45 seems silly.

But I don't set my clocks ahead 10 minute to fool myself into thinking I have more time either.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Why not enforce the 45mph? Lowering it below 45 to get people to drive 45 seems silly.

But I don't set my clocks ahead 10 minute to fool myself into thinking I have more time either.
I agree, but I used to date a cop and he told me he would not pull anyone over who didn't hit his number which I think was 11 or 12 miles over the speed limit.

He said the lowest "number" that one of his colleagues has set was six miles over. That's 51 MPH in a 45. I don't want my kid crossing a street where people are going highway speeds, and probably texting or spilling coffee on themselves.

If you try to do the speed limit, you practically get run off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: