Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times

Advertisements

medical is a great industry here... this place IS growing. I would say move if you are even slightly inclined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
I have lived all over the US and have found California really sucks.. WAAAAY too expensive, everything is waaaay too far, commutes suck, and forget about night life waaay too expensive and too far for most....

people here are crappy...not all BUT a lot.. The mentality is just ignorant (hence Californians moving to Vegas and trying to change it)..... GAS is over the top and should not be.. Taxes suck....

And they re-elected a nut job for Governor who was a nut job LAST TIME he was Governor....

THESE are the reason I am retiring to Las Vegas.......

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
If I may chime in I am not from California but NYS. I will be retiring to LV in October. Why affordable housing,affordable land and school taxes,great weather,endless entertainment and places to visit,great food,ease of getting around the city,not a nanny state like NYS &NYC.
With both of you in the medical profession jobs should be steady for both of you. With no state income tax it ought to give you a boost in your buying power. I think it is a win win on your part. So go for it and enjoy the journey best of luck

Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,433,951 times
I will suggest that you give it a try-- live in Vegas for a year, then decide if you want to stay.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
You wont have trouble finding an RN job-Yes the houses are cheap but can you actually see yourself living/working in Vegas?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
We moved here four months ago from Orange County CA and couldn't be happier! The neighbors that we have met (most on our street) have been friendly and helpful. I have found that the employees in the store are much nicer and more helpful. The weather hasn't bothered us, even the 106 yesterday, and I don't think that it will bother you either because of the decrease in humidity from So Cal. Hope you enjoy your move and let us know if we can help you. Denise

Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM

46 posts, read 74,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideStrip View Post
I would move to Vegas and get more for your dollar. There is other things to do out there besides the strip... just have to get use to the heat is all.
Really?? We all know that most people in Las Vegas works 2 jobs to make ends meet. Granted I give you that rental market amount is lower than California. But in the summer when you are paying $300-$500 for air conditioning (house scale) a month you wish you were back in California. Food at the supermarkets is the same as Cali. Gas is 40 cents cheaper than Cali. Insurance and car registration is more in Las Vegas. Also remember that California has a RN patient to care ratio. There is no patient care ratio here. I suggest that you take a trip out here to talk to your fellow nurses. Anyhow good luck on your decision.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Sunrise Hospital just laid off over a hundred people. Just make sure you have a job before you jump. Welcome.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 AM

421 posts, read 898,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFool View Post
Really?? We all know that most people in Las Vegas works 2 jobs to make ends meet. Granted I give you that rental market amount is lower than California. But in the summer when you are paying $300-$500 for air conditioning (house scale) a month you wish you were back in California. Food at the supermarkets is the same as Cali. Gas is 40 cents cheaper than Cali. Insurance and car registration is more in Las Vegas. Also remember that California has a RN patient to care ratio. There is no patient care ratio here. I suggest that you take a trip out here to talk to your fellow nurses. Anyhow good luck on your decision.
Wow, I have found that insurance, both house and auto are much cheaper here than in Calif.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:46 AM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFool View Post
She also knows to be aware that RN salaries are nearly 1/2 what they are in CA.
My CA nurse friend makes $40 an hour with only 3 years of experience.
Try to find that in NV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas