Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 AM

156 posts, read 370,076 times

Advertisements

I was looking at moving either to LV or Phoenix a few years back, decided against it because both economies were in the toilet. Is that still the case in LV?

IF i were to move I can just transfer with my company, I work in the beverage industry and we have a facility in LV. However, depending on position I would be either hourly or commission and how much of either I get is dependent on local sales. So obviously an improving economy is good for sales.

Also, what are some good areas to look into? How did the recession effect cost of living, as far as rent? I currently live in Austin TX. Austin is expensive by Texas standards, but not anywhere near California standards. Just trying to get a good idea of what I might expect to be paying out there in LV. A likely move wouldn't likely happen until early next year.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
What kind of beverages are you talking about?

Beer? You'll do fine. Organic kiwi juice? Maybe oughta wait a little longer.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM

156 posts, read 370,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What kind of beverages are you talking about?

Beer? You'll do fine. Organic kiwi juice? Maybe oughta wait a little longer.
Soft drinks.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times
Comon down! were thirsty in LV

We even drink *Sparkles*

Jonathan

Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageInAZ View Post
I was looking at moving either to LV or Phoenix a few years back, decided against it because both economies were in the toilet. Is that still the case in LV?

IF i were to move I can just transfer with my company, I work in the beverage industry and we have a facility in LV. However, depending on position I would be either hourly or commission and how much of either I get is dependent on local sales. So obviously an improving economy is good for sales.

Also, what are some good areas to look into? How did the recession effect cost of living, as far as rent? I currently live in Austin TX. Austin is expensive by Texas standards, but not anywhere near California standards. Just trying to get a good idea of what I might expect to be paying out there in LV. A likely move wouldn't likely happen until early next year.

Thanks for the help!
The economy in Phoenix is doing better than here.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
If you have a decent job, Vegas is a great inexpensive place to live. The job is the key.

If you get the sales job, to whom are you selling? If it's the big resorts and places like that, great. If you are selling to individuals/small business, it's much tougher and quotas would be much harder to meet.

Las Vegas is thirsty place. 9 out of 10 people out and about are carrying a drink all summer long. That makes it a great market for beverage sales. If you have to carry the local market, it's all about price.

I am drinking a lot less soda than I used to because I won't pay $5 for a 12 pack. But that's just me!

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,732 times
So how is the economy in Vegas now?-perception-reality.bmp

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,190 times
Take some vacation time and spend a few days in Vegas. Here's my take on what I see. Vegas is basically a city dropped down on a area of land. To me at the moment I kind of like it but getting used to the heat is a challenge. Compared to other cities it seems safe and the bad part of town don't seem all that bad.. Home are cheap and for the most part what I have seen the streets are very clean..With that being said it seems like everything rotates around the strip.. What vegas needs is a rail line and some manufactoring and this place would be booming again..

As I have lived in many different cities IMO vegas is a good place to be but you have to have some self control because it's a 24 hour city and you can get caught up if your not careful. So come and check it out because you might just like it..

Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,732 times
Diversified economies are faring better, Las Vegas currently has one of the worst (if not THE worst) supply/demand imbalances when it comes to jobs. They claim that the unemployment rate has fallen but it has been demonstrated that this is not due to job growth but essentially because the labor force declined. Competition is fierce.

The bottomline is that you had better have a serious back up plan, this includes those who are currently gainfully employed as well. This town cannot continue treading water with the current sky high commercial vacancy rates, the valley needs businesses that in turn provide jobs.

To answer your question, the economy is doing poorly and this is reflected in many national reports which rank Las Vegas at or near the bottom in terms of economic performance.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Diversified economies are faring better, Las Vegas currently has one of the worst (if not THE worst) supply/demand imbalances when it comes to jobs. They claim that the unemployment rate has fallen but it has been demonstrated that this is not due to job growth but essentially because the labor force declined. Competition is fierce.

The bottomline is that you had better have a serious back up plan, this includes those who are currently gainfully employed as well. This town cannot continue treading water with the current sky high commercial vacancy rates, the valley needs businesses that in turn provide jobs.

To answer your question, the economy is doing poorly and this is reflected in many national reports which rank Las Vegas at or near the bottom in terms of economic performance.
Las Vegas had a huge and potent construction industry that has gone away and may never approach its former glory. In fact until the housing bust runs its course they have no hope of any substantial recovery.

The rest of the economy looks pretty much like the country as a whole. The tourist industry has pretty much recovered and will continue to strengthen. The whole support structure has down sized and is growing. A restaurant guy has had four straight months of profit and is about to rehire a laid off worker. A single handed pool servicer now has three trucks and two employees. A guy who does our trees needs a week to schedule. All the good handymen have become difficult to hire.

I don't know what the housing industry is going to do as it makes no sense. The inventory of REOs is now down under two weeks and no strengthening in price. The short sale price continues to trend toward the REO market. But the classic goes upward pretty strongly in both price and market share.

None of this makes any sense by conventional rules leading to the conclusion the market is still being manipulated by the lenders.

So we watch and wait...but the recovery is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: