Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:04 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I found out Von's will delivery everything I need including beer for only $6.95. Sounds like a plan.
Yes, but be aware that the prices you pay for grocery items online won't necessarily be the same as what you would pay for the same items in the store itself. Also, the sale items can be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
"How necessary is a car in Las Vegas?"

I guess I am going to find out. I just tried for the second time to get my car to pass emissions and it will not pass even after doing the recommended work. Unless Carl will be able to fix it affordably, I will be car less after the end of August. I have realized that I really do not even need a car anymore. I only drive it once a week to the grocery store. I found out Von's will delivery everything I need including beer for only $6.95. Sounds like a plan.
If you have spent the required sum you can get an out for a year...

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If you have spent the required sum you can get an out for a year...
I only changed the oil, air filter, and made sure the car was warmed up, all at a cost of $30. The amount to get a waiver is around $500 if I remember right. I am not willing to spend that as that is well over what the car is worth. I got a quote today from the steel recyclers, and they said they will give me $250 for the car. I might as well take it.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, but be aware that the prices you pay for grocery items online won't necessarily be the same as what you would pay for the same items in the store itself. Also, the sale items can be different.
I did a lot of searching, and it appears most prices are the same as the weekly ad, with the exception of the Friday only deals, weekend only deals, etc. I guess I will have to deal with that.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM

241 posts, read 492,291 times
I've been living in Vegas for nearly 2 years with no car.

I'd say the need for a car depends on your social life/where in town you live. If your friends live scattered around the valley, it can be a hassle. I just bus/jog where ever I need to go. I'm the douchebag wearing Vibrams jogging down the Strip with two Whole Foods shopping bags every other week.

Only once have I wanted to go somewhere on short notice (Green Valley Ranch) but couldn't get there in time without a car so I had to cancel. No more free shuttle service between Mandalay Bay & GVR apparently.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Then why just make up **** about their operating schedule?
I didn't make it up. I just assumed they operated as most bus systems in the western USA do. Hardly at all outside of normal business hours.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Viable? Yes.

Comfortable? No.

I have at times relied on Las Vegas public transportation to get to and from work. But I was working normal hours and it was an easy bus route. (I could see the bus from an air-conditioned work area and simply walk to meet it.) A 30-day pass is currently $65. So unless someone's commute is quite far, it is roughly the same cost as commuting.

My biggest gripe with RTC is the way their system is laid out. The. Bus. Stops. Every. 500. Feet. Getting from one end of town to the other can take a more than an hour. It shouldn't take an hour to drive the length of Charleston Blvd. It would make a LOT more sense for express buses to get people most of the way to their destination, and then neighborhood buses to get passengers within a block of their destination. To implement the idea, simply take a map of Las Vegas and draw a three-line tic-tac-toe board on it. Those are the "express routes." Each endpoint and intersection of the tic-tac-toe grid is a hub, from which the neighborhood buses navigate.
I would like to see the buses all have GPS on them and then you could have an ap on your phone that you could set parameters on such as "I am catching XX bus at YY location between XX and YY times. Then, when the desired bus was approaching your location, the ap would let you know to get out the door to meet your bus. This would make it easier for people to avoid long waits in the heat and cold or rain and more of them might find the bus as a real alternative way to go places.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,837,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I would like to see the buses all have GPS on them and then you could have an ap on your phone that you could set parameters on such as "I am catching XX bus at YY location between XX and YY times. Then, when the desired bus was approaching your location, the ap would let you know to get out the door to meet your bus. This would make it easier for people to avoid long waits in the heat and cold or rain and more of them might find the bus as a real alternative way to go places.
Like this?
TriMet: TransitTracker - Real-time bus and MAX arrivals

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Yes like that! I didn't know anybody else came up with my idea. That is what all transit systems should do. People don't mind waiting 5 minutes while knowing in real time where the bus is. It is kind of like when you are waiting on an elevator in a high building. The wait is easier when they show you what floors the elevators are on and which way they are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas