Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Flying is just such a terrible experience these days. I can remember pulling up to the curb, handing the skycaps 5 bucks and saying "San Diego" before running through the terminal to make my flight on time. My bags got there and so did I, and I didn't have to remove my shoes or get a frickin X-Ray to get on board.

Between 9-11, online price wars, and skyrocketing fuel costs, taking a Greyhound Bus is a more pleasant option ( as long as you don't mind all of your fellow travelers walking up and saying "Hey man, Got a cigarette?")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM

460 posts, read 988,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
.....and gate-checking of carry on bags is exceedingly rare.
Nah...I was a pilot with a major airline for over 20 years (until I retired two weeks ago ), and we gate checked bags every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The issue is not at check-in, it is when you actually board the plane and you find there is no more room in the overhead bins. It is at that point that the flight attendant will take your carry-on and give you a gate check receipt. The only option you have if you don't want to check your bag at that point is for you to get off the plane with it.
This.

Quote:
You may not have seen the above occur, but I have seen it happen frequently on transcontinental flights. Especially on flights where there are many passengers who are connecting from a vacation destination.
And it is worse in the winter time, as people carry more crap with them (heavy coats, etc.). And because of that, the aircraft loads are actually calculated using a heavier weight for each passenger in the winter, than they are in the summer.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM

473 posts, read 849,042 times
Quote:
Flying is just such a terrible experience these days.
Hmm- no I disagree. People expect it to be, and condition themselves for a bad time. If you set out expecting a negative experience, you’ll more than likely find one. But take a moment to actually breath in what you’re doing and beauty of being able to be anywhere in the country in under four hours. I'm always appreciative and thankful I have the resources to be able to spend a weekend in New York, Vegas, the beach, and with some advance planning and saving go almost anyplace in the world I choose. That's something many people in the world don't have the ability to do, and something I don't take for granted.

I love leaving the states at night and waking up in Europe (even with a cramped seat and lousy sleep,) or flying over small farm towns and the vast expanses of urban areas at night.

Also - save for this summer, ticket prices are in check with the economy, if not much lower. Of course hub to hub flying with competition is much cheaper than the spokes, the worst being rural towns served by only one carrier.

I minimize the "hassles" by flying off-peak, stick with one alliance so I can make the basic status which gives me a bit more leg room and the rare upgrade. I plan and arrive early, bring my own entertainment, books, work and schoolwork with me, and know little tips (bring a power splitter to share taken outlets, bring my own food, etc) and other continencies. (For example if picking an airline don't just pick the cheapest flight anywhere, rather pick an airline with multiple flights to your destination, so if a delay happens you have some "outs".)

Quote:

Nah...I was a pilot with a major airline for over 20 years (until I retired two weeks ago ),
Congratulations, and thanks for your hard work transporting so many around the country and globe safely.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The issue is not at check-in, it is when you actually board the plane and you find there is no more room in the overhead bins. It is at that point that the flight attendant will take your carry-on and give you a gate check receipt. The only option you have if you don't want to check your bag at that point is for you to get off the plane with it.

You may not have seen the above occur, but I have seen it happen frequently on transcontinental flights. Especially on flights where there are many passengers who are connecting from a vacation destination.
By at check in, I meant when you hand over your boarding pass at the gate to board.

The times I have heard that the plane is full and people neex to gate check I have seen empty space still in the overhead bins when they are closed before takeoff.

Of course I'm flying shorter distances so perhaps its not such an issue.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
carry-ons are less of an issue with Southwest because they check-in your big luggage for free, so less people hauling their luggages to the gates. The legecy carriers (UA, AA..etc) charges fees for check-in luggages and find themselve in this situation (angry customers, boarding delay, chaos). I heard United just announced they plan to re-do their overhead bins so they can accomodate more carry-on luggages. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas