Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,318 times

Advertisements

Are there any specific laws regarding noise during the daytime? We live in an upper-scale gated community in Summerlin and our neighbor has a 30 year old son who is unemployed and blasts loud music in their backyard. I work from home and the walls are shaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:05 PM

158 posts, read 174,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfamily3 View Post
Are there any specific laws regarding noise during the daytime? We live in an upper-scale gated community in Summerlin and our neighbor has a 30 year old son who is unemployed and blasts loud music in their backyard. I work from home and the walls are shaking.
Yes, please call to LVMPD, city or county (depending which part of our community you reside in). They will be able to provide you assistance. Make you you also report this to our HOA.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:06 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:

You can complain about them with your HOA anonymously so they don't know it is you complaining. Also check the noise ordinances for Las Vegas and complain to them too. Are the neighbors renters? Then complain to the owner. Look them up on the Clark County Assesor's site. clarkcountynev.gov

Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
This is a necro....

That said... there is a noise ordinance in the county. It actually outlines certain ranges of noise(by Hz as I recall) and what the allowable noise levels are by time of day. There is a built in exception that any noise during daytime hours can be "too loud" for a period of up to (i believe) 15 minutes. There are different allowable noise levels by time of day, the cutoff I believe to be 10pm(would need to check).

Metro ignored the problem. Never showed up. In their reports they claimed to have shown up and measured noise, but they were unaware that I had cameras running on/around my property and could prove they had never been here. BTW state law allows you to request their documentation in its entirety and they are required to provide it.

I had to video tape both the noise and the meter app I bought showing the noise levels above the allowable limit for extended periods of time. I then quoted the county code and provided the videos to the county commissioner's office for my district and CC'd channel 13 on my communications. After that was done, Metro finally showed up and told them to knock it off or face criminal charges.

The county code you are looking for is here:

https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/compre...ments/3068.pdf

Metro, which does code enforcement here(this is odd, coming from another part of the country) did not have the proper equipment to even measure the noise. They also claimed to be unaware that the code had been changed - apparently at some point in the past there was only a single dB level outlined in the noise ordinance.

No idea if they are on top of it now and have req'd the proper equipment but once I had the attention of the commissioners' office the problem stopped.

You will need to look here to find out who your commissioner is so you know who to contact:

Commissioner District Search

This took a few months to produce results.

I would encourage you to at least try to speak with the neighbors and resolve the noise issue yourself. Document your interactions. This is one of the first things I was asked about by both the commission and Metro before any action was taken.

Edit to add: I am not a lawyer. Take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited by equid0x; 03-15-2019 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: I am not a lawyer

Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
This is a necro....

That said... there is a noise ordinance in the county. It actually outlines certain ranges of noise(by Hz as I recall) and what the allowable noise levels are by time of day. There is a built in exception that any noise during daytime hours can be "too loud" for a period of up to (i believe) 15 minutes. There are different allowable noise levels by time of day, the cutoff I believe to be 10pm(would need to check).

Metro ignored the problem. Never showed up. In their reports they claimed to have shown up and measured noise, but they were unaware that I had cameras running on/around my property and could prove they had never been here. BTW state law allows you to request their documentation in its entirety and they are required to provide it.

I had to video tape both the noise and the meter app I bought showing the noise levels above the allowable limit for extended periods of time. I then quoted the county code and provided the videos to the county commissioner's office for my district and CC'd channel 13 on my communications. After that was done, Metro finally showed up and told them to knock it off or face criminal charges.

The county code you are looking for is here:

https://www.clarkcountynv.gov/compre...ments/3068.pdf

Metro, which does code enforcement here(this is odd, coming from another part of the country) did not have the proper equipment to even measure the noise. They also claimed to be unaware that the code had been changed - apparently at some point in the past there was only a single dB level outlined in the noise ordinance.

No idea if they are on top of it now and have req'd the proper equipment but once I had the attention of the commissioners' office the problem stopped.

You will need to look here to find out who your commissioner is so you know who to contact:

Commissioner District Search

This took a few months to produce results.

I would encourage you to at least try to speak with the neighbors and resolve the noise issue yourself. Document your interactions. This is one of the first things I was asked about by both the commission and Metro before any action was taken.

Edit to add: I am not a lawyer. Take anything I say with a grain of salt.
Some cautions. These are municipal laws. violation appears criminal so LVMP in Summerlin. Note though the code is not Clark County in all of Summerlin but is City of Las Vegas in the northern areas of Summerlin. Southern areas are generally in Clark County. The two areas have different noise codes.

And also note that Clark County has code enforcement people. There is a set of them in the Mountain Crest Park Civic Center. Stop in there and they will tell you how to proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas