Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 54,822 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum extensively and have gotten alot of good info, as my family and I are considering relocating....

I have read about crime, but I really want to put it into perspective and compare it to where we live now....

Here in the chicago burbs, we feel generally safe. I leave my garage door open all day and my son comes and goes from the park by himself all the time. We have accidentally left our garage door open all night many times and our car doors unlocked, but nothing has ever happened. Ever. I take my baby for a walk by myself in the neighborhood and everyone says hello and again, no worries. We don't have a guard dog, an alarm system or anything of the sort...

So, my question is...if we moved to summerlin or henderson, could we expect the same type of safety as described above??? Something tells me "no", which really sucks, but would like some opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppkj01 View Post
I have been reading this forum extensively and have gotten alot of good info, as my family and I are considering relocating....

I have read about crime, but I really want to put it into perspective and compare it to where we live now....

Here in the chicago burbs, we feel generally safe. I leave my garage door open all day and my son comes and goes from the park by himself all the time. We have accidentally left our garage door open all night many times and our car doors unlocked, but nothing has ever happened. Ever. I take my baby for a walk by myself in the neighborhood and everyone says hello and again, no worries. We don't have a guard dog, an alarm system or anything of the sort...

So, my question is...if we moved to summerlin or henderson, could we expect the same type of safety as described above??? Something tells me "no", which really sucks, but would like some opinions...
I doubt there is any suburb of Chicago that will surpass Summerlin or nice Henderson. Note that Henderson is a big city and, while its overall numbers are exceptional, you can find bad places there.

Note that anyone who habitually leaves their car open with anything in it can expect to get hit eventually. We are crying over our missing blue tooth hands free and another regular poster lost an nice Garmin.

But other than that sort of minor pilferage both are safe at a level hard to find east of the Mississippi.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,539 times
There are regular shoot outs every night in both places. If you dont give a beggar any money they will more than likely rob you within a week. I wouldnt leave your doors open or personal items unsecured. Im surprised Im still alive and that I have possessions to call my own.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
There are regular shoot outs every night in both places. If you dont give a beggar any money they will more than likely rob you within a week. I wouldnt leave your doors open or personal items unsecured. Im surprised Im still alive and that I have possessions to call my own.
Ass. LOL!

I live in the dreaded North Las Vegas. I never lock my car and I sometimes remember to lock the front door. It helps that all the neighbors are afraid of us because of our Halloween hijinks.

My car got broken into once, ( at work in regular LV) but all they got was a Kid Rock CD. Hardly worth the risk although "Cocky" is a great song.

In Summerlin or Henderson, you'll be fine.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 AM

113 posts, read 895,167 times
I'm also planning to move to Henderson within the next couple of months. I have used this website extensively to look at the crime rates within 1 mile radius of the location I'm looking into.

CrimeView Community Incident Map : Las Vegas Metro Police Department

The most you can get is a 1 mile radius within the past 60 days.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Ass. LOL!

I live in the dreaded North Las Vegas. I never lock my car and I sometimes remember to lock the front door. It helps that all the neighbors are afraid of us because of our Halloween hijinks.

My car got broken into once, ( at work in regular LV) but all they got was a Kid Rock CD. Hardly worth the risk although "Cocky" is a great song.

In Summerlin or Henderson, you'll be fine.
In 2003 I took a road trip with friends out to Manitoba, Canada. We had the Cocky CD and "What I learned out on the road" was an anthem of that trip for us. Ever since then I've always had the CD in my car....if there are sleeze bags who would actually rob me my K-Rock I may have to reconsider my move altogether!!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
I'm also planning to move to Henderson within the next couple of months. I have used this website extensively to look at the crime rates within 1 mile radius of the location I'm looking into.

CrimeView Community Incident Map : Las Vegas Metro Police Department

The most you can get is a 1 mile radius within the past 60 days.
You will not however get anything in Henderson at that site. They do not patrol there...

Try..

City of Henderson Police Crime Mapping App

Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks, I remember looking at these crime maps before. Henderson's isn't working for me right now. Is it just me, or is looking at Summerlin's scary! I looked at 89134 & 89135....a lot of buglaries, motor vehicle thefts etc... just within the past 60 days!
Hmmm, if there is a burglary in the NEXT TOWN over I will read about it in the local paper...
Why does this map make Summerlin look like a crime-ridden area compared to where I live?? I'm so confused

Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Not only that....if you go on family watch dog the entire place is CRAWLING with sex offenders!! And this is Summerlin, one of the safest places in LV?? Any other zips in Summerlin that I'm missing?
I compared it to my current zip and the difference is night and day!!
Either I come from heaven on earth or the rest of LV is hell on earth and Summerlin is somehow the lesser evil...
Btw, my grandma has lived in sun city summerlin for 12 yrs, and she has never been influenced by crime.
BUT it still just doesnt make sense

Old 06-13-2012, 12:07 PM

293 posts, read 641,555 times
We live in 89052, around Anthem and I have left the garage door open many nights, also leave my windows down most nights in the car and so ar have had no problems. We did install an alarm and have dogs, so that helps and they go nuts with any noise outside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas