Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 PM

719 posts, read 1,480,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averymaie View Post
I have a bad habit of thinking most work from home jobs are a scam. Can you msg me the types of companies you have had luck with? A lot of the ones I've applied for on CL seemed a little fishy. They are the only ones who wanted a credit report completed before I even interviewed....
The company I just landed a job with is a website that customers register for and make purchases for services. They call our 800 number when they forget their password, have trouble navigating the site etc etc and I assist them. There are only four customer service reps at the company and we each work from home.
I do know there is a site called Alpine that hires at home workers and has thousands of employees. Try them and I hope you get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I just secured a new position, working full-time from home with a half-way decent hourly wage. These jobs are few and far between but they are out there. I saw the ad on CL, sent my resume and beat out over 100 applicants to get the job. I work 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday from home. The company did require that I have Internet, a land-line phone and a quiet work space during my working hours. The company is based in Henderson so I completed my training there for four weeks before transitioning home. There are several national companies that hire at home customer service reps, but they do not pay great. If you take out the cost of child-care, gas, office wardrobe, lunches etc you will find that you can work for much less per hour once you work from home. I am only making $15 an hour at home..but it pays the bills and beats the 9 an hour I used to have.
The above job is actually Tuesday through Friday... I typed Monday out of habit. My in office weekend job is Sat Sun and Monday each week.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times
There seems to be two extremes with Jobs here in Vegas. On one end you have an abundance of low paying jobs that are relatively easy to get. I think on this end people are lazy and just milking unemployment. Example: I take out ads all the time for low paying $10.00 - $12.00 an hour jobs and sometimes get zero responses. Of the people I set up for interviews only about half show up. Of those I hire about 75% are no shows on day one.

On the other end of the spectrum I recently ran ads for Industrial Design / Product development and had 40 responses by the end of the first full day the ad ran. Some amazingly talented guys/gals out there. I met with three people this am all of which wore a suit, brought their portfolio and were extremely professional. I was floored when the discussion moved to Pay. The best of the bunch only wanted $25 an hour. He was hired on the spot.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 PM

37 posts, read 108,728 times
SouthernSarah -- Would you mind sharing with us:
1. What your job is
2. How you landed the job
3. What agency you're working for
4. Are they still hiring?

I'm looking for a marketing analyst (marketing campaigns) position. While I've had a few interviews (mostly with agencies) I'm always interested in how others have landed their positions. I'm new to Las Vegas. I've only been here two weeks now. Let's hear it.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
I just secured a new position, working full-time from home with a half-way decent hourly wage. These jobs are few and far between but they are out there. I saw the ad on CL, sent my resume and beat out over 100 applicants to get the job. I work 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday from home. The company did require that I have Internet, a land-line phone and a quiet work space during my working hours. The company is based in Henderson so I completed my training there for four weeks before transitioning home. There are several national companies that hire at home customer service reps, but they do not pay great. If you take out the cost of child-care, gas, office wardrobe, lunches etc you will find that you can work for much less per hour once you work from home. I am only making $15 an hour at home..but it pays the bills and beats the 9 an hour I used to have.

Why not share the company information with your friends here?
so we can also work from home for a decent wage?

Jonathan

Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
There seems to be two extremes with Jobs here in Vegas. On one end you have an abundance of low paying jobs that are relatively easy to get. I think on this end people are lazy and just milking unemployment. Example: I take out ads all the time for low paying $10.00 - $12.00 an hour jobs and sometimes get zero responses. Of the people I set up for interviews only about half show up. Of those I hire about 75% are no shows on day one.

On the other end of the spectrum I recently ran ads for Industrial Design / Product development and had 40 responses by the end of the first full day the ad ran. Some amazingly talented guys/gals out there. I met with three people this am all of which wore a suit, brought their portfolio and were extremely professional. I was floored when the discussion moved to Pay. The best of the bunch only wanted $25 an hour. He was hired on the spot.
After getting laid off in June I'd love to take a $12 an hour job.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
One of my friends has a work from home job where she transfers/connects company conference calls (Or something like that). I think she makes around $15 p/hr as well. They sent her to another state for 2 weeks of training. She said it was too hard to do with her youngest kid at home because it has to be totally quiet & professional while working so.. she wound up having her parents watch the child. I'm trying to get a hold of her to find out the company name.
I would love to know the name of the company!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
Now you are contradicting to yourself.
A quiet work space during your work hours is required, and you are saving the cost of child-care?
Doesn't your child cry, talk, or come bother you and want your attention during work hours?
Obviously you are not truethful to your employer.

Uhm.. I am 55 years old. My child is grown and married. My reference was to work at home jobs in general. You need to have a quiet work space free of noise including the noise of nearby children. For example, your children could be old enough to be in the house with you there, but not have to interrupt you constantly. If you worked outside the home, they would have to go to daycare. You would save daycare costs by working from home. I live alone and have no distractions from my job. Before you call someone a liar you might want to know what you are speaking of. Just a thought.

Last edited by SouthernSarah; 07-29-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Why not share the company information with your friends here?
so we can also work from home for a decent wage?

Jonathan
Several reasons.
1. My company only has four customer service reps and is not currently hiring.

2. After the problem I had in private messages because of ill-informed and inaccurate gossip that apparently occurred behind my back, I don't really feel like I have friends here, an acquaintance or two..but no actual friends and I have no intentions of posting my company's website name so the same people can call and harass the owners of the site. I was deeply hurt, and do not want to invite future sad feelings.

3. I do agree Johnathan that it is important to assist others whenever possible. I actually did post the name of a company that I know hires at-home workers and the mods removed the company name. However, anyone who is interested in the names of companies that hire from home are welcome to private message me and I will share them. I am allowed to do that in pm right? As long as I don't put it on the site? (I am not familiar with the rules and don't want to get in trouble.)

PS, I think I read somewhere here that you have moved here already? If so, welcome home

Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
After getting laid off in June I'd love to take a $12 an hour job.
If you want to send me a private message I will give you the name of two companies I know hire at home workers for hourly customer service positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas