Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM

111 posts, read 429,603 times

Advertisements

[quote=guinnessjim;1767686

*and for the record, my problem w/ the statement was that i didn't paint the town as a whole as friendly, just my little slice of it[/QUOTE]

Understood!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 03:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
however, since you do have that source (your family) you can offer a perspective i can't, namely people who have had bad experiences. (also valuable info to newcomers...i fully stand by the whole this place is not for everyone and LV is what you make it)

i just get a little touchy w/ the all encompassing generalizations that don't allow for there to be another side of the LV coin (or would it be chip?)..and for better or worse, i almost always have to play devil's advocate.
I agree with you fully...that's why whenever someone sends me a pm about LV, I always caution them to balance my response with someone that actually lives there. I really do love visiting LV, but personally...it's just not for me as far as living there. I think a lot depends what it was like where one is coming from. Take traffic, for instance. If one is moving to LV from a place that has bad traffic congestion...then they might think LV's traffic is a breeze. On the other hand, if they're coming from a smaller market where it takes them 10 minutes to drive 10 miles to work...they would probably think that LV has the worst traffic in the country! Maybe when they ask about specifics, we should first ask them what it's like for them where they are now, and then compare it to LV.

BTW, my brother doesn't totally hate living in LV...but he's liking it a lot less than he used to. He's there for now, and has no plans of leaving (at least, none that I know of!)...but he does sometimes question whether he made the "right" decision by moving there. He's been there since 2000, and when someone questions it like that from time-to-time, you get the feeling of some unhappiness. He's not the type to open up too often, so it's sometimes difficult to figure out what he's really thinking.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I agree with you fully...that's why whenever someone sends me a pm about LV, I always caution them to balance my response with someone that actually lives there. I really do love visiting LV, but personally...it's just not for me as far as living there. I think a lot depends what it was like where one is coming from. Take traffic, for instance. If one is moving to LV from a place that has bad traffic congestion...then they might think LV's traffic is a breeze. On the other hand, if they're coming from a smaller market where it takes them 10 minutes to drive 10 miles to work...they would probably think that LV has the worst traffic in the country! Maybe when they ask about specifics, we should first ask them what it's like for them where they are now, and then compare it to LV.
absolutely.

and traffic here does suck (and i moved here from LA). i am just spoiled in that i found the location i wanted to live in was only a 10 min drive to work, no freeways, no crossing the strip. (i do know how lucky that is, too).

and your right...someone w/o the appropriate 'street smarts' could have a rough go of it here (there are clearly things not to do that i pbby take for granted as i know not to do them). but that could happen in any big city (or even small town, if you **** off the wrong people/step on the wrong toes)

*apparently you can't use the long form of pee as the site ****'d me...who knew?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM

guinnessjim and JFK,

Handshakes and hugs for having a nice agreeing post between you two.

http://bestsmileys.com/handshake/1.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif (broken link)

Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysmom View Post
guinnessjim and JFK,

Handshakes and hugs for having a nice agreeing post between you two.

http://bestsmileys.com/handshake/1.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/3.gif (broken link)
Why can't there be a SURPRISED smiley when you need one

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Why can't there be a SURPRISED smiley when you need one
Here ya go

http://bestsmileys.com/surprised/1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM

hey!

we agree on stuff....sometimes we just get into peeing matches (id say pissin', but i think it'll get censored) which usually end w/ a mutual agreement of some sort.

wait a couple of weeks...i'm sure we will find something else to argue on

Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
wait a couple of weeks...i'm sure we will find something else to argue on
WEEKS?????????? days, hours or minutes maybe

Old 10-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WEEKS?????????? days, hours or minutes maybe
haha...ok...maybe days.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Ahhhh, c'mon! Truth be told, I'd definitely buy guinnessjim a beer (Guinness, of course) or two the next time I'm out there, as I think he would do the same for me. Yeah, we all agree and disagree about things. Just think how boring this would be if we didn't!

I know I have an unpopular stance here...and I'm certainly bringing it up against a tough crowd...but we can all differ in opinion without hating each other! Jeez...if I asked who you might want to see for the next president...I'm sure you'd be amazed who sides with who...and who would end up in a pi$$ing match! But, as long as we attack the ideas expressed, and not the person who expressed them personally...I think there's so much insight to be gained from a site like this one. In the end, it's up to each and every reader to make up his or her own mind. Like in real life everywhere...some just have to go through things on their own to learn...others learn by other's experiences.

Who amongst us...including myself...hasn't made mistakes or had successes along the way? It's really what you do with those mistakes and successes that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas