Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times

Advertisements

In Washington State I'd never been charged a deposit to hook up electricity (of course I only rented in Apartments and maybe that ws the difference)
When we moved into a rental house here in North Carolina they were going to charge us a $400 deposit or they wouldn't hook us up. I tried to fight it and called around but in the section of the county we are in they are the only power company so the only thing I could really do was pay the $400.

As I'm budgeting for our move and it looks like we'll be moving into an apartment, I'd like to know if it is general practice in the Las Vegas area for you to be charged a deposit of any sort for electric hook up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
they charge, based up on your credit history....it used to be that HOMEOWNERS didnt get charged but that seems to have changed when we became slaves of the Kalifornikators at Sierra Pacific Power.

I DONT remember what the dep is but i seems in the range of $100 returned in a year....

Maybe

Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM

383 posts, read 901,165 times
Depends on your credit. A quick call to NVENERGY and they will let you know. I hadn't lived in the US for 16 yeas and when I came back the electric, gas and water company here made me give a deposit. Cable did not. I think they said bring a letter from your old ultility companies would help also.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
As I'm budgeting for our move and it looks like we'll be moving into an apartment, I'd like to know if it is general practice in the Las Vegas area for you to be charged a deposit of any sort for electric hook up?
Quick answer is that you may be able to waive the deposit requirement, either with a letter from a previous utility company, or otherwise proving sufficient creditworthiness. Many Las Vegans can't provide either, so they pay deposits.

NV Energy (electricity) didn't ask for a deposit. I'm guessing they ran my credit.

https://www.nvenergy.com/home/customercare/faqs.cfm

Hmmm, maybe it was waived because I set up automatic pay when I requested service.

Southwest Gas did ask for a deposit, which I haven't had to do in two decades, so I'm guessing they didn't do a credit check. I called and asked them about this, and they said it would be waived with a letter from a prior utility company stating I had a year or more of on-time payments. I requested this from my Silicon Valley electric company and the deposit requirement was waived.

http://www.swgas.com/tariffs/nvtariff/rules/rule12.pdf

Old 06-14-2012, 09:26 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Basically I think the letter always works.

One problem is the criteria is all over the map. I have routinely taken listed homes on to my account and paid the utilities. About two years ago NVEnergy balked and made me put up a $100 deposit though they billed it through my home account. Talking to the commercial agent it appeared they had set up a new credit operation and things were not working right.

So get the letter but be prepared to make a security deposit.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM

280 posts, read 572,045 times
I just moved into the SW side of the valley in May from the Eastside. When I originally moved to the Eastside, no deposits were required. Also it was an all electric apartment and the water was flat-rated into our monthly rental bill. When we moved over here, NV Energy did not require us to place a deposit because we were already a customer. However SW Gas deposit is $65 billed through your account, and Las Vegas Valley Water is $150 which must be paid before service is connected.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
I vaguely recall that LVVWD waived the deposit for me because I was the property owner and not a renter. I had to provide proof of ownership - I think I just brought the big packet of documents I had just signed at the title company. The next time I requested service, after several years of not being a customer, there was no deposit because I had been a customer in good standing the last time I had service.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM

280 posts, read 572,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
LVVWD waived the deposit for me because I was the property owner and not a renter.
Yes I am renting the house...i guess I should have stated that. Sorry

Old 10-11-2015, 04:37 AM

135 posts, read 270,217 times
Question... if I moved away (overseas) for a year and came back, can they just run the history I had with them before to waive any deposits?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
they took a $200 deposit but refunded it after a year...

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: