Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:27 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
Yeah, but.....they are two completely different words, that are not even pronounced the same.

I mean, I understand simple spelling mistakes, and I make quite a few myself. And I can also understand how people confuse the spelling of two words that sound alike. But jeez louise.
Scoop is right. I can't believe how many posts I come across where the otherwise intelligent poster has written loose in lieu of lose. But I agree with you in that I just don't understand how they can make such a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:39 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV
I assure you, it's "gantlet." Not "gauntlet." Google it.

Both spellings are acceptable. link

Quote:
Word History: The spelling gauntlet is acceptable for both gauntlet meaning "glove" or "challenge" and gauntlet meaning "a form of punishment in which lines of men beat a person forced to run between them"; but this has not always been the case. The story of the gauntlet used in to throw down the gauntlet is linguistically unexciting: it comes from the Old French word gantelet, a diminutive of gant, "glove." From the time of its appearance in Middle English (in a work composed in 1449), the word has been spelled with an au as well as an a, still a possible spelling. But the gauntlet used in to run the gauntlet is an alteration of the earlier English form gantlope, which came from the Swedish word gatlopp, a compound of gata, "lane," and lopp, "course." The earliest recorded form of the English word, found in 1646, is gantelope, showing that alteration of the Swedish word had already occurred. The English word was then influenced by the spelling of the word gauntlet, "glove," and in 1676 we find the first recorded instance of the spelling gauntlet for this word, although gantelope is found as late as 1836. From then on spellings with au and a are both found, but the au seems to have won out.

My American Heritage Talking Dictionary Program says exactly the same thing. The now preferable form is "gauntlet", but both are acceptable. Apparently spelling the word with "au" is golden ...get it? Au = gold? Huh?

The one that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me is when people spell a lot as one word. It is NOT "alot" and it is certainly not "allot" ...it is two words "a lot". Also drives me crazy when they say "and etc.". People, people, people ...the "et" in et cetera means "and" already so don't repeat the same word; Literally "and the rest".

Also I hate pizza pie and Sierra mountains. They come from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post

The one that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me is when people spell a lot as one word. It is NOT "alot" and it is certainly not "allot" ...it is two words "a lot".
Same here! There is a poster on this board who uses "allot" a lot. It makes me want to scream.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The one that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me is when people spell a lot as one word. It is NOT "alot" and it is certainly not "allot" ...it is two words "a lot".
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Same here! There is a poster on this board who uses "allot" a lot. It makes me want to scream.
Yep. I even created a thread a couple of years ago dedicated specifically to that little gem.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...las-vegas.html

Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Scoop is right. I can't believe how many posts I come across where the otherwise intelligent poster has written loose in lieu of lose. But I agree with you in that I just don't understand how they can make such a mistake.
There is a red Trans Am in my neighborhood with personalized plates that say "youloose" or something like that. I assume meaning "if you try to race me I will win." But it says LOOSE. Moron.

I don't think that just because so many people misspell a word it is a reason to "accept" both spellings. If that is the case, it will also eventually become acceptable to use an apostrophe for plurals, and interchange their/there/they're, or even its/it's. All of that would be ridiculous.

What's next? Accepting text-speak as English? From now on ppl is a replacement for people? (that one drives me crazy BTW LOL)

Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There is a red Trans Am in my neighborhood with personalized plates that say "youloose" or something like that. I assume meaning "if you try to race me I will win." But it says LOOSE. Moron.

I don't think that just because so many people misspell a word it is a reason to "accept" both spellings. If that is the case, it will also eventually become acceptable to use an apostrophe for plurals, and interchange their/there/they're, or even its/it's. All of that would be ridiculous.

What's next? Accepting text-speak as English? From now on ppl is a replacement for people? (that one drives me crazy BTW LOL)
You'll have to take that up with my buddy Noah Webster, and his two friends, Funk and Wagnalls.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Lose and loose is my biggest pet peeve. A long time ago someone on here was calling me a "drunk looser." I had to laugh at that one.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 PM

322 posts, read 565,351 times
Don't forget there/their/they're.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
Don't forget there/their/they're.
Those three used to always get me. Now I just remember that there=place, their=posession and I never use they're. I always write "they are". This way I never have to worry.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: