Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM

39 posts, read 110,199 times

Advertisements

...I just discovered this as I was setting up everything for my new apartment. I'm so depressed now. Because they have no competition, they can charge pretty much whatever they want, and they do. they charge so much $$$...especially Cox. Cox charges $59.99 for 15 mbps, and I can get 20 mbps from either AT&T or Comcast for only $30 back in Houston. So depressed.

before i moved to Las Vegas, all my research tells me that Las Vegas' cost of living is about 8% higher than Houston, and I couldn't figure out why with how low the rent is in Vegas. But I think I just figured out where that 8% comes from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
That is not true. There is only one electrical provider, but there are multiple internet providers. Cox, Clear, Century Link, etc....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is not true. There is only one electrical provider, but there are multiple internet providers. Cox, Clear, Century Link, etc....
correct

Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM

932 posts, read 2,347,463 times
Quote:
To the OP: Did you mean cable TV or Internet?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
none of them provide 20 mbps speed...cox is in a class all on their own in vegas. they dont have any competitions. comparing cox to centurylink or clear is like comparing a 5 stars hotel to a 3 stars hotel. so technically, in that respect, cox doesnt have any competition.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM

347 posts, read 542,453 times
Cox sucks, go with Centurylink not because they are any faster or more reliable but because they will give you less headache than cox.

Get Centurylink DSL only. Then get Vonage if you need home phone. For TV, use antenna for local channels and get DirecTV if your apt allows that. If your apt only allows Cox then you might be screwed and have to bundle TV/Highspeed/phone.

Welcome to Las Vegas, where the heat is dry and pedestrians are road kill (500 points) targets.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,042 times
Does anyone not "bundle" their internet with TV? Who through, and what do they charge you for what speed. I am paying $62 a month for 6 mg service in Florida, cause I don't have TV or phone with them.

Is that $59 for internet alone without any other services?

Anyone else have a cheaper solo plan that works well, you want to share with us?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
I think the OP was referring to cable TV, not Internet. DISH and DirecTV are good alternatives to cable if you're able to have a satellite dish installed.
Century Link is a direct competitor to Cox. They have phone, internet and prism television. I am pretty sure prism is not a satellite dish.

CenturyLink | Experience Prism TV Service. See the Prism TV Demo.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Does anyone not "bundle" their internet with TV? Who through, and what do they charge you for what speed. I am paying $62 a month for 6 mg service in Florida, cause I don't have TV or phone with them.

Is that $59 for internet alone without any other services?

Anyone else have a cheaper solo plan you want to share?
yea i got internet by itself. i dont watch tv and i have a cell phone so i dont need a home phone

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
...I just discovered this as I was setting up everything for my new apartment. I'm so depressed now. Because they have no competition, they can charge pretty much whatever they want, and they do. they charge so much $$$...especially Cox. Cox charges $59.99 for 15 mbps, and I can get 20 mbps from either AT&T or Comcast for only $30 back in Houston. So depressed.

before i moved to Las Vegas, all my research tells me that Las Vegas' cost of living is about 8% higher than Houston, and I couldn't figure out why with how low the rent is in Vegas. But I think I just figured out where that 8% comes from.
So your paying $30 more a month than Houston? That is not even close to 8% of what your costs are. If your rent here is $31 cheaper than houston then your are already ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas