Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
At the moment, i have no way of checking if timing belt broke. Im ignorant in car mechanics. My grandpa down in alabama who is says theres a good chance its the timing belt. I have no clue. All i know is the oil light flickered while i drove, i heard some rattling while i drove, and once i got off the interstate, it shut off and hasnt started since. I do know its not locked up though
If the timing belt broke, you would know instantly as the car would have stopped running immediately. Your symptoms are definitely not timing belt related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times
I usually go to purrfect auto on craig, only because I can put my bike in the back and bike back home. I think they do quality work, but they overcharge. I use them for the location convenience to me. Also, if you know whats wrong with your vehicle, you can buy the parts yourself and avoid that charge.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
[consumer complaint] In general, I would not go to any chain. They can't make money on simple things like just an oil change. They gotta sell you all kinds of things you don't need. When I worked for the State, I interviewed people several times that had been service writers. Most of them were let go for not being willing to lie to customers and sell service they didn't need, and didn't get, but paid for anyway. And I'm not talking about small independent shops, I'm talking about all the car dealers, and franchised shops.

Wally's Honda can't do recall stuff so we have to take our Accord to a dealer. Even Wally warned us that they'd want to sell us a lot of extras we don't need, but we have no choice but to go to one and be prepared to say no to everything else they try to push on us.

Last edited by observer53; 09-28-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
You might consider a mobile mechanic, even someone knowledgeable like m3 whatever his name is that posts on here, to diagnose it first before towing it in for something unknown. I had a mobile guy once come down to my work when my last jeep blew a head gasket.mnot only that but it dropped a valve on both sides. Machine heads, replace vales ...parts labor everything was $1500. Ase certified guy and a good mechanic.

Even if you just pay for them to tell you what's wrong and get the parts yourself you'd probably pay for the diagnosis in parts savings alone. $400 seems high on the labor. That will get you 4 hours of work at most places. You can probably find the number of hours required through google.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM

487 posts, read 747,229 times
I went to Carl at Carl's Cool Cars on the recommendation of the folks on C-D and He will be the only shop I will use from now on.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
I went to Carl at Carl's Cool Cars on the recommendation of the folks on C-D and He will be the only shop I will use from now on.
Same here. Carl is the most honest mechanic I've ever run across in any city. I would be willing to leave him my car and a blank check and tell him to just fill in the amount when he's done.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I always plan on getting hosed when I go to get my truck repaired so I just have it in the budget. I know a little bit but dont have time to be under the hood on a saturday when Ive worked 14 hours all week. As long as I know whats wrong and show up with replacement parts thats all I can do to mitigate the costs.
I've never found a shop that lets you bring your own parts, the mechanics I know say it prevents headaches when a part fails and they can't warranty it.

Last edited by observer53; 09-28-2012 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I've never found a shop that lets you bring your own parts, the mechanics I know say it prevents headaches when a part fails and they can't warranty it.
I was just about to ask if anyone knows of a place that does this. A small shop I have taken a previous car here lets you buy your own parts, they even tell you what to buy, at an auto parts store. They just charge for labor. The auto parts stores warranty many of their parts so it has worked out nicely for me. Saved me a TON of money on a new starter and a couple other repairs.

Also, I've had the experience of guys working at an auto parts store doing the work...my husband's car died at the store when we were there pricing alternators. The guy working said he could replace it for us...and he did right in the parking lot! We spent $100 on the alternator as opposed to $400+ on taking it to a shop. He wouldn't take any money so we bought him a case of beer as a thank you.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitchem View Post
I found him on Angie's List, and agree - he's our sole mechanic now. Nice guy, good work and great rates.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I have never had a problem. There is no quality difference in me buying an AC Delco part and the mechanic except that I already have it right there right then and got it for a price that I thought was fair, not the mark up mechanic price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas