Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,317 times

Advertisements

We're coming to Vegas in August to "check" out the areas before we make the decision to move. My thought is to contact a couple of realtors to show us around but would also like to rent a car to go off on our own as well.

Any suggestions for areas to see (we're open to anywhere) or good realtors that you've used would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,036,973 times
"déjà vu . . noun . . a feeling that one has seen or heard something before"

Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Remember--no real estate agent recommendations in the forums. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,313 times
People will be reluctant to answer you, as this same question is asked at least once a day and there is much discussion on the subject. They want you to use the search feature of the forum. If you can't find all of your answers there, then ask a specific one you can't find. Just a heads up so you understand. I know it appears rude, but there is reason behind it.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,293 times
I sent you a DM hopefully it helps.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
So if you are looking at having a couple realtors show you around and only one can get your business, what does that do for the other? That realtor will drive you around, show you great looking properties that match what you requested and (looking at your logic of a couple realtors and going off on your own - 2 people plus you dealing directly with listing [SELLERS] agents) they will have a 33% chance or less of making a sale with you?

Why not find one really good Realtor, sign a contract with him or her that states if you buy a property you will use them as an agent and it doesn't matter if they found the home for you or you found the home online and are having them show it to you?

I think then it is an even playing field.

How does that one sound folks??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullymovingtoVegas View Post
We're coming to Vegas in August to "check" out the areas before we make the decision to move. My thought is to contact a couple of realtors to show us around but would also like to rent a car to go off on our own as well.

Any suggestions for areas to see (we're open to anywhere) or good realtors that you've used would be great!

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,313 times
A solid recommendation should work. The only argument I can see for multiple realtors is that many realtors specialize in one end of town, and are reluctant to travel to the other end to view a property for you. They are also not so familiar with all the neighborhoods out of their own turf. There may be exceptions of course, but as a rule, that's how it works.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,353 times
I think having two or more agents is a good thing. If you don't feel you are getting the best service, your agent isn't good or you like another agent better, you're free to make the switch anytime. We contacted and dumped 2-3 agents before we found one that was acceptable and worked hard. This is why we never signed a buyer broker agreement when asked, because we didn't want to get stuck with an agent that isn't giving us good service. When we found an agent I liked, they EARNED my loyalty and we purchased two properties with him.

Bring your laptop and stay at a hotel that has WIFI or go to a coffee shop that does. Look at all available listings and know what is on the market, not just what your agent prints out for you. Also don't let your agent talk you out of short sales. My agent was very against it and yet we were able to close escrow in less than a month on a short sale. The key thing is you are paying your agents commission, so make sure they earn it. You need to set the tone from the start and make sure your time looking is productive and educational. If you feel your time is being wasted or your agent isn't listening, get a new one. Remember, nothing is more expensive than buying the wrong house. Renting a car and touring Las Vegas on your own is a good idea. You really can't get a feel for a community unless you are their in person.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 06-24-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
I see. Okay, you're being fair and the modhatter has a great point as well. As long as their is no misunderstanding then I would be fine with that. If you asked me for properties in the Northwest (and that was my farming area) and you saw nothing you liked or didn't like that part of the city and decided against it, I would completely understand that.

Your contract can easily be broken if you don't like the agent or they just aren't working out. That is why I would recommend a good one.

Part of the job is knowing that you will be taking people around that won't buy. I am fine with that. Some of them have no intention at all about buying, but they don't tell you that.

Was a good explanation OldWest. If I was working that area, you'd get what you needed an wouldn't need another Agent.

And I completely agree, if you have an Agent that doesn't work out - get rid of them immediately! Then do everyone a favor and tell them why. They need to know why they are bad as so does thier broker. Everyone shouldn't do this job, just like everyone shouldn't teach nor should everyone be a bartender.

GOOD LUCK

Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I see. Okay, you're being fair and the modhatter has a great point as well. As long as their is no misunderstanding then I would be fine with that. If you asked me for properties in the Northwest (and that was my farming area) and you saw nothing you liked or didn't like that part of the city and decided against it, I would completely understand that.

Your contract can easily be broken if you don't like the agent or they just aren't working out. That is why I would recommend a good one.

Part of the job is knowing that you will be taking people around that won't buy. I am fine with that. Some of them have no intention at all about buying, but they don't tell you that.

Was a good explanation OldWest. If I was working that area, you'd get what you needed an wouldn't need another Agent.

And I completely agree, if you have an Agent that doesn't work out - get rid of them immediately! Then do everyone a favor and tell them why. They need to know why they are bad as so does thier broker. Everyone shouldn't do this job, just like everyone shouldn't teach nor should everyone be a bartender.

GOOD LUCK

Gulfer, you sounds like a nice agent and nice person. There are a lot of great real estate agents and as I'm sure you know with deals a lot of less than great agents, too. I've working in real estate on and off the past 10 years in California and I know being a taxi driver with lookie loo buyers isn't fun. I have logged a lot of wasted trips with grade C buyers. What I have learned from top agents at offices is unless a client gets at least pre-qualified first with a lender, they won't take them out looking. They worded it nicely to the clients, but it sure saved them a lot of wasted trips. Given LV's market with cash buyers, I don't think it is too much to ask for your client to provide a simple bank statement before going out. Your time, gas and mileage on your car is important and has value. I think if clients provide proof they can afford a home or qualified to buy and an agent gives them good service and build a good relationship with them, they'll be loyal with their agent when they buy. If you can feel or can tell your clients are dealing with more than one agent, simply dump them as clients. I dropped a few clients that I could tell were clowns. I'd rather have no clients than clients that waste my time. Best of luck, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas