Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,240,728 times

Advertisements

Speaking of renting cars...

Does anyone know the benefits of renting a car at the airport vs. getting one once you get to your hotel?

This might contradict what I just said in another thread a little, but I am thinking about my next trip to Vegas. The last time I was there, I rented a car as I have said. I rented from EZ Rental at the airport. It was all fine, but the process took some time. I arrived early enough last time so it wasnt a big deal, but it took me probably an extra hour to stand in line and get to the car, then another 20 minutes to finally get the keys. Then I needed to make sure I got the car back and returned with plenty of time to catch my flight.

Next trip, I arrive in the evening. I am not sure I want to waste that 60 to 90 minutes on the rental process. (or it may be even longer next time) It might be easier to find other transportation to my hotel (shuttle, cab, etc) so I can get checked in and on with the fun.

So, I have had the experience of renting from the airport, what is the process like when renting from a hotel or other location other than the airport? And will it cost a lot more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM

553 posts, read 1,205,309 times
Before car renting was so easily available through the Internet, it was almost always cheaper if you rented through a local office rather than a hotel or airport because the local office had fewer taxes added. Now, however, I doubt that is true. My experience in other cities where this used to bee true is that the rental car companies just adjust their rates so you end up paying pretty close to the same amount no matter where you get the car...at least if you are renting online.

As for the line hassle, I have rented many cars at McCarran, and I have always found it to be very efficient. To avoid the lines, use the kiosk to complete the rental. Nearly every major company uses them now. I always chuckle to myself while using them and watching the neophytes stand in line. Oh, and the shuttle to get the car is almost always better than the shuttle to the hotel, if such a shuttle exists (unless of course you are the high roller being picked up by the limo driver with your name on the little sign in the baggage pick up area at the airport).

Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
Before car renting was so easily available through the Internet, it was almost always cheaper if you rented through a local office rather than a hotel or airport because the local office had fewer taxes added. Now, however, I doubt that is true. My experience in other cities where this used to bee true is that the rental car companies just adjust their rates so you end up paying pretty close to the same amount no matter where you get the car...at least if you are renting online.

As for the line hassle, I have rented many cars at McCarran, and I have always found it to be very efficient. To avoid the lines, use the kiosk to complete the rental. Nearly every major company uses them now. I always chuckle to myself while using them and watching the neophytes stand in line. Oh, and the shuttle to get the car is almost always better than the shuttle to the hotel, if such a shuttle exists (unless of course you are the high roller being picked up by the limo driver with your name on the little sign in the baggage pick up area at the airport).
Yes, the airport shuttle exists. It's $15 roundtrip and you schedule your return to the airport so they pick you up with plenty of time to get to your plane. It's actually pretty convenient and cheaper than a taxi

When I rent a car, I go the cheapest route. Unless I am wrong, EZ rental doesnt do kiosks. (If they do, let me know!) I know the bigger rental companies do that but the rates are also quite a bit higher. Standing in line was the only option I knew of.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 PM

460 posts, read 985,392 times
In my experience, it does cost more to pick-up the car at the hotel. But to me, it's worth it. It takes about 5 minutes to do the paperwork at the rental car desk, in the hotel. I pick up the car in the hotel parking garage, and I just drop the keys in a "drop box" when I'm through with it (don't talk to anyone). I take a cab to and from the airport. Easy is good.....especially when on vacation.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM

553 posts, read 1,205,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes, the airport shuttle exists. It's $15 roundtrip and you schedule your return to the airport so they pick you up with plenty of time to get to your plane. It's actually pretty convenient and cheaper than a taxi

When I rent a car, I go the cheapest route. Unless I am wrong, EZ rental doesnt do kiosks. (If they do, let me know!) I know the bigger rental companies do that but the rates are also quite a bit higher. Standing in line was the only option I knew of.
As for the shuttle, I was talking about free shuttles. You are right about the $$ shuttle. But if you rent at the hotel, you are adding the shuttle cost to your rental. That is not likely to make much sense.

As for EZ, do they offer rentals through Hotwire or other online agents? I don't recall ever seeing it. For a long time, I spent a lot of time comparing Hotwire offers to others online. Hotwire was always the same or less. So nowadays, I just save the times dog with the cheapest Hotwire offer. Should I be looking at a different site for EZ?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,919,589 times
And you need to make sure EZ rental is at the Hotel you are staying at.....If that's the one you want to use...

Old 06-25-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
As for the shuttle, I was talking about free shuttles. You are right about the $$ shuttle. But if you rent at the hotel, you are adding the shuttle cost to your rental. That is not likely to make much sense.

As for EZ, do they offer rentals through Hotwire or other online agents? I don't recall ever seeing it. For a long time, I spent a lot of time comparing Hotwire offers to others online. Hotwire was always the same or less. So nowadays, I just save the times dog with the cheapest Hotwire offer. Should I be looking at a different site for EZ?
I booked my last rental car thru Orbitz, and booked EZ.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
And you need to make sure EZ rental is at the Hotel you are staying at.....If that's the one you want to use...
As for what company, I really don't care. I just went with EZ last time because I got a really cheap rate and was very happy with the very nice car I got.

I'm thinking...if I book a rental car for my Sat eve-Wed morning trip by picking up at the airport, I am probably paying for an extra day for that time I would book for the Sat night part and the Wed AM part, right? I really won't need the car until Sunday and all I would need it for on Wed morning would be a ride to the airport.

So, (typing out my though process here...) it might be a wash as far as money. If I pay a little more by booking at the hotel rather than the airport, the extra might be about what I would save booking via the airport since I would really need it for fewer days. (Does anyone follow me?)

Just something to think about I guess! And something else to research.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM

102 posts, read 274,713 times
We have always found it easiest to shuttle to the rental car facility from the airport. Have never had a wait for the shuttle or much of a wait at the rental booth. However we do use Thrifty and use the kiosk to check in. I personally can not see paying for a cab or shuttle versus the extra time to get the car.
That being said...you might be right that not renting for Sat. night might offset the price of the shuttle bus you would use instead. Can you rent at the hotel and return to the rental facility? That would save a shuttle fee on your return.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,919,589 times
Heck if all you need is Sunday really..Rent at the hotel and then take the shuttle to the airport.. Would probably be cheapest way to go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: