U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM

69 posts, read 137,250 times

Advertisements

I am so wrapped up in hunting for homes to see when we get there tomorrow, I forgot all about FOOD!?!?!?! I don't have time to hunt and search because I still have to continue making appointments for homes.

I dislike eating "chain food" when we travel. BUT we will be hitting an In-N-Out for 1 meal!! LOLOL That's an exception to the chain rule, since we haven't had that chain in 9 years since we left San Diego!!

SOO, I am depending on all you locals to give up a few good places to try for our 3 days there!! Not looking for fancy, formal or anything. Casual, fun atmosphere. MY Fav is Mexican, Oriental is close 2nd. I did remember seeing a Roberto's Taco Shop while doing a search for "walkable" and seeing that as nearby at one home and it reminded me of my favorite places in San Diego, small hole in wall taco shops ..... SO if anyone has tried them, tell me if they are good Please?

Thursday we will be all over the NW area, Friday have NO clue yet other than his meetings wherever they have him going. Saturday, we will be some down in Henderson and some Summerlin. SO - restaurants in any areas are fine to check out. OH - and no kids involved.... just us parents! Don't know what to do without kids for 3 days!! LOLOL

Thanks everyone!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 AM

421 posts, read 863,011 times
In the NW area you could try Schucks on Durango. It's an oyster bar but has many other options. As far as Oriental food foget it in Las Vegas. Haven't found anything with anything close to decent Chinese food here so far

Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM

611 posts, read 895,733 times
I really like Wok My World at 2775 S. Nellis if you are in the area. Not all that exciting to look at but the food is excellent, traditional, fresh, and the owners are very friendly. Compared to other Asian restaurants the price is excellent too it you are looking for a bargain.
Wok My World Restaurant | 89121 | Las Vegas - FREE Chinese Delivery

Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,233,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
In the NW area you could try Schucks on Durango. It's an oyster bar but has many other options. As far as Oriental food foget it in Las Vegas. Haven't found anything with anything close to decent Chinese food here so far
Then you haven't been looking very hard. There's Hong Kong East Ocean Dim Sum, the food stall inside Market 168, Emperor's Garden, and any NUMBER of little holes in the wall along the Spring Mountain corridor. The rule of thumb is, if the restaurant has live fish in tanks for sale, the food will be good. Also, if they don't have a menu printed in English (or only ONE menu printed in English), the food will be good. If mom and dad are cooking, the kids are waiting tables, and grandma is at the cash register, the food will be good.

Note: I don't think Las Vegas has GREAT Chinese food. Go to San Francisco or China for that. But we do have very GOOD Chinese food. As for quick "on the go" food in Las Vegas, I always just hit up a taco stand. Best bang for the buck in this town. But if I'm in the vicinity of Spring Mountain, then it's Bahn-Mi or Dim Sum for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
I really like Wok My World at 2775 S. Nellis if you are in the area. Not all that exciting to look at but the food is excellent, traditional, fresh, and the owners are very friendly. Compared to other Asian restaurants the price is excellent too it you are looking for a bargain.
I clicked the link because that place is close to me. That isn't "traditional" Chinese food. That's American Chinese food. There's nothing wrong with General Tso's, Crab Rangoon and Sweet and Sour Pork. But you're not going to find those items on a menu in a restaurant in China. (Unless it's a restaurant for tourists.)

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM

10,848 posts, read 14,787,511 times
Quote:
As far as Oriental food foget it in Las Vegas. Haven't found anything with anything close to decent Chinese food here so far
There's more to Asian cuisine than Chinese food. There are some very good Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants here.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:22 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,325,448 times
Makinos Sushi on decatur/flamingo... one of my few go to restaurants.

also, if you are from cali, we now have two Wahoo's fish tacos here.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 PM

13 posts, read 80,796 times
Quote:

Wow, there is over 2000 choices for chinese and you say "forget it" !?! There are plenty of good, authentic choices..how about..oh I don't know...in CHINATOWN? Like a previous poster said, Spring Montain road that are family owned. My favorite would be HK Star at
3400 S Jones Blvd... and the little lunch cafe next to it, best duck this side of San Francisco

Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM

611 posts, read 895,733 times
Yum, I love Vietnamese...Down in Vancouver BC where my kids live there is a large Vietnamese population and a lot of VN restaurants.

Scoop: Spring Mountain Rd is a little far from us at Nellis. I'm still learning the roads...Would you go west on Flamingo Road from S. Nellis? On our next condo visit next week I am finally going to rent a car and attempt driving in LV....Should be interesting since I'm used to driving from a wilderness lake to our town about 40 minutes away that has 2 stop lights and 8 stop signs...LOL. I'm sure my hubbie will be a wonderful back seat driver too!!! Perhaps I should pay extra to have him added as an additional driver. :-)

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,940,219 times
If you will be in the NW area tomorrow then here are a few of our favorites.

Best Mexican: Michoacan Mexican Restaurant in Las Vegas, Nevada. Serving The Best Mexican Food In Las Vegas! Celebrate Father's Day At Michoacan!

and/or─not NW but close enough: Mexican Restaurant, Mexican Food, Catering - Las Vegas, Nevada. - Home

Best Italian in NW: Introduction

Best Asian (Thai)─Rainbow Rd & Lake Mead Blvd. location two or three blocks from an In-N-Out: Pinkaow Thai Restaurant!

and: Eating Las Vegas | NITTAYA’S SECRET KITCHEN – First Bites

Pleasant little place with pleasant people and good food right across the street from the Lake Mead Bl/Rock Springs Dr In-N-Out: Viet Bistro satisfies beyond pho - Tuesday, June 5, 2012 | 6 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Best Hamburger, best fires, best (real) milkshake (the Rancho Road location is in NW)─way better than In-N-Out: Fatburger Rancho Las Vegas - Order Online

Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM

12,686 posts, read 34,940,219 times
And since you're on an adventure try a little romatic Italian place with the best Italian food in Las Vegas (probably because they are from Italy). Not NW but West and an easy location; worth whatever you have to do to get there. Gina's Bistro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas