Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 AM

419 posts, read 907,051 times

Advertisements

What a fascinating story!....you should write a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
what state people moved from. West (by God!) Virginia.

Also, what prompted your move? West (by God!) Virginia. Seriously I was making $375 a month and wasn't expecting that to get a whole lot better. Had a wife and daughter to support, and my friends already here made it sound like the streets were paved with gold and jobs were everywhere (about the same as most people who come here think today). But did think I'd probably have to get out of television and get a real job. I wanted to be a deputy on horseback; that's how ignorant I was about the west. Typical easterner in other words. Stayed in TV for most part of next 27+ years.

How long have you been here now? Since July, 1964.

Did you find it very different from where you moved from? Extremely so. For instance, for the first six months I kept a look out for the sheriffs to come in and bust everyone for drinking and gambling. Never thought I'd move somewhere so exciting and in the first three weeks find myself having coffee with a Playboy Playmate and driving her to a ranch in the middle of the night so she could ride her horse at sunup. Nor that the girl next door would be an old girlfriend of Johnny Carson and that he'd tell her that if we had a problem getting into his show to call him back stage and he'd seat us himself. Never thought I'd be meeting and directing most of the famous stars that played Las Vegas either. It was that kind of town in those days. Also, I never knew anything at all about Las Vegas before we got here, let alone that it was in Nevada and that it was in the desert. Looked it up in the encyclopedia (analog Wikipedia) right after we decided to move here. I thought the desert was Death Valley, and you crossed that somewhere on the way to California. Also never knew there were places that had less rain in year than I saw nearly every week...or sometimes in a day.

Are you thinking of moving to another state yet again? No way José (sorry, my Spanish is a little rusty ).

Where and why. Was transferred within the company twice to different states, Texas, and New Mexico. Hated Texas, loved New Mexico ...well, most of it. But, there's no state like Nevada. Couldn't stay away from Nevada very long either time. Thought I'd go crazy in Texas, but had a great social life thanks to all the nice folks in Laredo; they kept me sane. I'd probably live in New Mexico again under the right circumstances. My wife would go back in a heartbeat. There are also a few places I'd live in California if Nevada ever annexed that state, but nobody can live in California ...too crowded and nobody can afford it. And, I wouldn't be too upset if I had to live in Reno again; nice town, nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM

131 posts, read 210,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
What a fascinating story!....you should write a book.
2nd that! Can I pre-order?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
So...I'm confused. Do you love it or hate it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
--)
-I'm contempt with living in Vegas for now.

Sent from my iPhone while driving using Tapatalk.
I think he had a brain f*rt while tapatyping-talking (?), whatever that is, and meant to say content. He's content with the content.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I thought it might be interesting hearing from what state people (not native to Las Vegas) moved from.
Brooklyn, New York

Also, what prompted your move.?

Mom died, last thing holding me to one place

How long have you been here now?
I'm not here, here yet. I still bounce between LV & NYC

I dubbed my house zihuatanejo, "A warm place with no memory"
I wanted to start a new life, 100 million miles from my old life, to erase all of my mistakes,
and with the experience of 50+ years under my belt "Do it right, this time"

Did you find it very different from where you moved from?
Yes! - Las Vegas is CLEAN, even the dirty parts of Las Vegas are clean compared with NYC
Everything is alive here, with bright colors. In NYC even the trees are gray
I love looking up to that blue sky every morning, and feel the sun on my face.

Are you thinking of moving to another state yet again?
Who Knows what the fates have lined up for me

Jonathan
I like yor answer macgeek. Keep doing what you're doing and it will all be well.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 AM

You guys just want to know more about the Playmate.

Actually, there is a half page story there, but it's not book worthy.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

These are the things I can say would be on people's list.

1. Climate #1 reason for us moving from VT last Fall. We both grew up in VT and couldn't handle the winters there anymore
2. Cost of living a close second
3. Experiencing something new (always exciting) I think this is a big one. Many of us just like to explore new places.for me more so than the hubby, who has traveled quite a bit in his life
4. Housing costsyup. Double-digit price per sq. ft. here vs. triple digit in VT
5. Jobnope. We had nothing lined up when we moved and weren't worried. We've been gainfully employed since early winter but I guess it's kind of a special situation
6. Family (be close to or far from)not really a factor. We travel back to VT to see my in-laws but I'd rather people come to me ;-)
7. More socially in line with your political leaning.not really a political person but I find my "common sense" is more in line with people out here than in VT
8. Less religious influence (or more depending on where your from)n/a
9. Gaming and entertainment (in Las Vegas) if that's your thing.entertainment, yes, as we're not gamblers. Absolutely fascinated with the entertainment options and availability and accessibility here!
10. Sidewalks don't roll up at 9 PM.our neighborhood is actually REALLY quiet in the evenings and I love it that way.
11. Food and diverse shopping available.when I had to travel out of state to go to Target back east, yeah, this is a factor
12. Socially acceptable of diversity.VT loves its immigrants and refugees and throws millions into programs to house them and integrate them into society. I find it's a bit different here but I'm glad I come from a place where we learned to be socially accepting of other cultures.
VT is a great place to grow up--good schools, good morals and ethics (most of the time), and I miss my friends and family, but I find I'm not nearly as homesick as I thought I would be. I suppose currently that's due to the "newness" of it all for me, coming from small-town VT. I'm finding I'm very interested in learning "western" culture vs. "eastern" culture, and even the microcosm of Las Vegas culture vs. Burlington culture. Who knows, maybe years from now I'll be over it and want to move on, but right now, we're loving it and we feel it's the best move we've made

Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yep. I think I was meant to be a storm chaser. The tornado sirens go off and I run out to the yard and look at the sky rather than taking shelter. I've been outside for many hail storms, too! I'll never forget the storms where the air becomes completely still and the sky turns a creepy green. It's excitement to me!
Elle, I want to visit YOU before you move here! I miss t-storms, too. I'll always remember visiting my aunt and uncle in SC when I was a young teenager and watching a "whiz-banger" from the upper deck of their A-frame in the middle of the night. And to think, my mother told me I was petrified of storms when I was a kid. Used to hide in the bathtub with the family's German Shepard!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,770 times
Quote:
Such interesting stories. Love hearing everyone's different perspectives. Weather seems to be the number one reason posted. What about cost of living, taxes, politics, religion, gambling? Any of those things factor into your decision?

I would think the biggest cultural change would come from moving from the deep South to Nevada. From the ultra conservative, religious, "good ol boys" close knit environment to the more detached independent and open minded society. (sinful) Maybe, that's why we don't seem to have any migrants from these places.

When I think about it. What are the things we seek to make us pick up and trek across the country to settle somewhere else. Go through that miserable experience of packing up a household on one end and unloading it at another end.

These are the things I can say would be on people's list.

1. Climate
2. Cost of living
3. Experiencing something new (always exciting) I think this is a big one. Many of us just like to explore new places.
4. Housing costs
5. Job
6. Family (be close to or far from)
7. More socially in line with your political leaning.
8. Less religious influence (or more depending on where your from)
9. Gaming and entertainment (in Las Vegas) if that's your thing.
10. Sidewalks don't roll up at 9 PM.
11. Food and diverse shopping available.
12. Socially acceptable of diversity.

Am I missing anything?

Good list! I would add traffic and crime. As I believe MMoB would attest this, the traffic back in DC is a total bear where it can take 4-5 hours to drive 45 miles from one side of the Potomac River to the other. Incidents like the tanker that overturned at Primm last week happen might occur occasionally here but happen much more frequently back in the DC area.

While crime happens everywhere, it was really bad back in DC. Hundreds of murders, carjackings, increase of gang activity, etc. Wasn't my top reason for leaving though.

I realized that I didn't fully answer the question so I'll give a quick overview: Born in DC, raised in Maryland suburbs, was living in Northern Virginia when wife got laid off. Traveled all over country to see where to live and Vegas made most sense as the weather was favorable for me to play golf year-round. Wouldn't consider moving anywhere else but would like to have a summer home up at Incline Village.

One more addendum from my post last night, 4 dead from the storm.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOldfield View Post
Elle, I want to visit YOU before you move here! I miss t-storms, too. I'll always remember visiting my aunt and uncle in SC when I was a young teenager and watching a "whiz-banger" from the upper deck of their A-frame in the middle of the night. And to think, my mother told me I was petrified of storms when I was a kid. Used to hide in the bathtub with the family's German Shepard!
Better hurry!

This has been a pretty quiet storm season. We have had very little rain at all

Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times
Quote:
I thought it might be interesting hearing from what state people (not native to Las Vegas) moved from.

Also, what prompted your move.?
How long have you been here now?
Did you find it very different from where you moved from?
Are you thinking of moving to another state yet again?
Where and why.
California

California has become unlivable in

Officially 1 month full time. Bought the house in Feb though and up to moving permanently, we came to visit every weekend since buying with the exception of Easter weekend.

Things I have found different:
My Paycheck (No more state income tax means more money in my pocket)
Las Vegas/Henderson drivers are perhaps the worst in the country. Every day I see at least 3 maneuvers that just have me shaking my head thinking "There is no place on earth where that con possibly be a legal driving maneuver."
The people I see as I walk in Madeira Canyon Park each morning are perhaps the most friendly people that I have never met. Everyone says hi and good morning etc.

I can't see myself leaving Henderson anytime soon. Of course lots can happen in the years ahead, but for now, I am perfectly happy where I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas