Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM

16 posts, read 77,153 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. It seems like it is a hit or miss with One Hour.

I have a split system with gas. So, complicated to install, I take it.

I feel the downfall going with smaller companies is that they may be hard to get a hold of outside of business hours (for example, I called 2 today and got answering services and no call backs yet).

However, interesting to note about One Hour backing themselves. In this case, then it may be best to go with a smaller company who also has the 10 year manufacture's warranty.

Any reviews/thoughts on Elite? The guys seem young. Too young, almost.

I'd love to go with one on the NV energy rebate program list. Any experience with those contractors. I read good things about Southwest on this site and have called them.

Macgeek, I'll take that promo code for Angie's when you get it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM

553 posts, read 1,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I fixed the link try THIS ONE
Thanks. I am not sure why I cannot get post a good link to other CD threads.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM

553 posts, read 1,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I would suggest that before you spend thousands of dollars on new a/c equipment, you spend a few bucks for a subscription to Angie's List and check out the companies there. For example, here's what I found out about One Hour Air after a cursory review:

Although they have an overall "B" rating on a total of 28 reviews, the two most recent are both F's. Here's what one of the reviewers wrote:

Watch out for these guys! I called One Hour to my house after another company came out and service my A/C two weeks prior. There had been a problem with the unit not turning off and the other company suggested two alternatives that were quite expensive. When my unit would not turn off again I called One Hour. The representative from One Hour looked at my unit (?) and told me I was low on freon and needed a new unit. I told him I thought it was strange that the other company did not mention the unit being low on freon, but had the freon put in the unit. The representative then said he could sell me a new unit for $8,000. The representative would not tell me the brand saying he would have to measure the unit currently on the roof (?). Wasn't he just looking at the unit? I shopped and got the unit for $3,300 from Expert Air.

My father called me two weeks ago saying he had a company out and they wanted to sell him a unit for a crazy price. I asked him was the company One Hour and he said yes. I told him not to let them on his roof again. My father called another person and they said the unit was fine.

And here's the second most recent review:

They came out and replaced the air conditioner. It was 120 degrees that day. They said it would cost $12355.00. They installed and then left. After I had a chance to look around, I found most other service providers were charging only $4,000. I sent him copies of the charges from other companies. When I spoke to the owner, he simply said, "That's what it cost", and left me with that. It was a 5000btu air conditioner, and they even forgot to hook up to the return.

Those are the only two reviews posted in the last four months. Most of the earlier positive reviews appear to be for service calls, but the reviews by people who actually bought new equipment don't seem very positive. Here's the concluding comments of someone who bought a new unit and then had to have it serviced last year:

I am not happy with my service call since my only other option is to replace the unit again, but with this level of indifference and service, I definitely won't be using one hour air.

And another one from last year where a guy spent $15,000 on two new units:

Repeated call backs and return repairs. To date still not working right. Most vists were on time and quick. I am still having problems with one unit not consistently working. I would recommend caution when choosing doing business with this company.

I find these last two particularly relevant to you since you stated that one of the reasons you were thinking of going with them was because of their service guarantee.

To reiterate: spend a few bucks for a subscription to Angie's List so you can check out any company you are thinking of doing business with.
+1 for this entire post. When I bought my new hvac system, I avoided OneHour because of many bad things I heard about the firm.

MMB, while quoting Angie's List reviews is undoubtedly helpful here, you (and otherswho might similarly post from subscription content) should be careful about giving away for free what Angie's List charges others to see. Some websites are pretty vigilant about this kind of thing. We don't want to cause problems here for CD (or you, of course).

Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,070,017 times
I don't know if your system is on the verge of going out, but this is also the worst time of year to install a new system. You're definitely paying a premium since they are so busy right now. Also the techs are far busier and may pay less attention or cut corners since they are so busy.

If you wait until Nov-Mar, it's their dead season and you'll get a better price.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks to all.
WestieJeff, I was/am having no problems with the air.

This all started when I had the first company come out to clean my outside compressor as maintenance, he showed---with his electro-reader-thing---that my compressor was maxed out, pulling more electricity than it was made to. The second company confirmed the compressor wear/tear and added to it that the wire leading to the AC breaker was running too hot.

So, no, it's not necessary or urgent but the second guy made it seem that the electric was a big issue. I don't know who to trust.

Also, my bills are high for a small house so instead of paying for a new freon replacement compressor for $1400-2200, I thought I'd upgrade. The thing is that this house may become a rental at the end of the year so not too worried about my bills; they're not that high. But I do like to nip any potential problems in the bud and since freon is going to be unavailable in the future, switching out seems like a better deal, don't you think?

If the electric is an immediate issue, I can wait till after the heat subsides; but I feel like I don't know who to trust and so need another assessment/estimate.

All smaller companies I call do seem pretty tied up right now.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myown927 View Post
Thanks, coco6163 and macgeek. I'll check out SunCountry now too. Macgeek, I read your thread as well. Thanks!

So, I am thinking of downsizing to 3 ton from 3.5 since we run ours at 75 at the coolest, usually 76-78, during summer and our current builder's original 3.5 does cycle on and off a lot. Does this sound right?

Again, our house is only 1165 sq ft. Tiny thing. High ceilings only in living room and master bed. Just heard the space over our garage in the attic has no insulation. Something I should do?
Yes to your first question, as to the second go with a radiant barrier stapled to the garage roof rafters.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,827,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myown927 View Post
Thanks to all.
WestieJeff, I was/am having no problems with the air.

This all started when I had the first company come out to clean my outside compressor as maintenance, he showed---with his electro-reader-thing---that my compressor was maxed out, pulling more electricity than it was made to. The second company confirmed the compressor wear/tear and added to it that the wire leading to the AC breaker was running too hot.

So, no, it's not necessary or urgent but the second guy made it seem that the electric was a big issue. I don't know who to trust.

Also, my bills are high for a small house so instead of paying for a new freon replacement compressor for $1400-2200, I thought I'd upgrade. The thing is that this house may become a rental at the end of the year so not too worried about my bills; they're not that high. But I do like to nip any potential problems in the bud and since freon is going to be unavailable in the future, switching out seems like a better deal, don't you think?

If the electric is an immediate issue, I can wait till after the heat subsides; but I feel like I don't know who to trust and so need another assessment/estimate.

All smaller companies I call do seem pretty tied up right now.

Call a Carrier dealer and talk with them.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks, bayview6. I'm leaning towards a 3.0 ton now; all I've read justifies this.

Carrier dealer online in our area is Sears. Why Carrier, may I ask? For the brand? One tech from an AC company told me to not go for brand as they are all made by the same manufacturer: Copeland. True? Bull?

Will call and see what I can find out, but Sears for AC? Anyone have an AC system from Sears?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM

Update: Just had a visit from Sun Country for a second (fourth, really) opinion and estimate. Wow, what a difference! Young tech but knowledgeable, humble, pleasant. Didn't try to sell anything I didn't need. Very matter-of-fact.

Confirmed my condenser was running high and that it may go out BUT all else was fine so it may run high for another 2 years that way. Just means higher bills---not the ideal scenario but at least I can save and wait until off-season. Price he quoted was totally reasonable and with a 10 yr on parts and labor. I will go through them for a new AC unit when that inevitable time arises.

I can't believe all the bull I was fed by the other 2 companies. I also checked with an electrician friend of mine and another AC guy he recommended (Wrich) and both said there's no urgency. Forget One Hour Air & Elite.

Thanks to all for the Sun Country rec!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,249,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
One Hour covers their own 10 year warranty. Thus if they were to go out of business (doubtful IMO) then you wouldn't have a warranty.
I doubt if that is accurate. All major manufacturers that I am aware of offer warranties on their products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: