Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,096,626 times

Advertisements

and Mission San Javier del Bac is one of the most beautiful of ALL the spanish missions.....

at east in the opinion of THIS atheist:tapp:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
Now that the time is coming to actually find a place, I've been having doubts about moving to Vegas. I chose it over Tucson, AZ...but I'm starting to see that a decent place in LV will be more expensive than one in Tucson.

These are reasons why I like them. If these are stupid reasons, please burst my bubble. I've never been on my own, so I know very little about moving.

1. The Mojave desert is gorgeous. You only have to drive 20-30 miles before you reach nothing but desert. Everything about the Mojave is so pretty. The sights are truly breathtaking...it's the kind of scenery that gives you goosebumps.

2. Who doesn't go to LV for good times? I'd always have a friend from Cali (or family) visiting.

3. There's wonderful little dive bars, like Pioneer Saloon with such wonderful people (although most are twice my age).

That's it. The things I worry about:
1. I won't make any friends. From what I hear, you either don't make friends or you make friends you'll wish you never did.

2. I won't find a job, and because it's more expensive than Tucson, I'll end up with no money and no place.

The Sonoran desert isn't as pretty, but I assume jobs and friends would be a bit easier to obtain. It's cheaper too.

So tell me, am I choosing LV for the wrong reasons?

P.S.
I'm not looking for someone to make the decision for me. I just want to make sure I'm not being naive or setting myself up for major disappointment.

Thank you.
I love the Mojave desert as well. Tell us about yourself. What kind of work can you do? Nevada's unemployment is higher than the national average.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
There's a lot more to do in Vegas than Tucson. I do like both places and the entertainment factor helped me decide on Vegas.

But, the economy is tough here. I don't know enough about the job market in Tucson to make a valid comparison. The law of the jungle states places people want to live have few decent jobs, and that would probably apply to a degree, to both places.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,295 times
Meetup.Com. If you can think of it, someone has a group for it. If they don't you can make one. Good Luck but don't get crazy. lol

Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 AM

113 posts, read 894,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I love the Mojave desert as well. Tell us about yourself. What kind of work can you do? Nevada's unemployment is higher than the national average.
I don't know what to say about myself that would be relevant to this topic. When it comes to what kind of work I can do, it's almost a joke. I have never worked before because I've been focusing my time in school. I only have a B.A. in Psychology.

Because I get SSI, all I need is a part time minimum wage job, and I can make a decent living when combined with my benefits. Both together, I can make a little over $1000/month. Certainly no different than the life style I have now.

Combine that with the $3000 I have saved up, I can go a few months without employment.

As for making friends - I'm really shy - so going to crowded bars/clubs/ext is a big NO NO for me. I can handle dive bars, small clubs, and things that aren't too stimulating.

Maybe my personality isn't compatible with the LV lifestyle...

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,461,827 times
You have a BS in Psychology and you post less than 500 words and you talk yourself out of moving somewhere without every having been? How would you analyze someone that did that?

Personally I think you need more money before you make a move, but I don't know what/how you're living now. What about enrolling at UNLV to at least get a Masters so you can at least get a job with your degree.

Why not get out there, don't sign no long term lease, and go find a job! You don't have to be Ms. Social Butterfly to get a job, then if you're a decent person you will have co-workers. Or if you enroll in school, you will have classmates.

I wouldn't let anyone talk me out of something if I was set on it. If you don't have a kids, family, house payment, etc... you can come and go as you please.

But PLEASE tell me you don't plan on living the rest of your life (I am only guessing - but believe you to be mid 20's) living on a little job and SSI!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:53 AM

73 posts, read 150,403 times
I made some pretty awesome friends in Las Vegas and was one of the reasons I wanted to stay (I ended up leaving). The hard thing about making good friends in Las Vegas is KEEPING THEM as people move in and out of that place.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,323,921 times
A lot of your positives are why my wife and I are moving there as well. I'm an amateur photographer as well (actually wondering if I could offer my services for cheap in Vegas for weddings??) and am looking forward to all of the natural scenery like the desert and mountains.

My take on the friends thing, personally I've always been a little more anti-social in that I don't go out specifically to places to meet people or look for groups of friends. We moved to the East Coast about 2.5 years ago and we chose NC because we had friends out here already. With the exception of a few people we've met at work those 2 are still our only friends here. The Wife and I just tend to do our own stuff & stick to ourselves.
We face a similar scenario when moving to Vegas, we have one good long time friend who will be moving out there a couple months before we do. But all of our family and other friends are on the West Coast and all of them are looking forward to us moving there so they have a free place to stay, and after having only seen them once in 3 years we're looking forward to the company.

The job is a concern as well. I have racked up several years in a profession that I'd be interested in getting out of, BUT their are almost always an abundant amount of jobs in the field (always see them posted in LV) so I am less concerned about that. I figure I'll have the chance to get a job fairly quickly and can look for something I'd rather do after I already have money coming in. The wife is pretty much set up working from home. Of course if both don't work then we'll be using our savings till the last dollar before we have to tuck tail and run But hopefully it doesn't come to that.

If Gulfer is right and you are in your mid-20's I highly suggest you go for it. I'm reaching my mid-30's and I'm going for it, I have a lot of regret over things I was too scared to try when I was younger. It gets harder the older you get and the more responsibility that you have.
Make sure you have some "case money" ('case YOU need to tuck tail and run home) and go for it.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
Now that the time is coming to actually find a place, I've been having doubts about moving to Vegas. I chose it over Tucson, AZ...but I'm starting to see that a decent place in LV will be more expensive than one in Tucson.

These are reasons why I like them. If these are stupid reasons, please burst my bubble. I've never been on my own, so I know very little about moving.

1. The Mojave desert is gorgeous. You only have to drive 20-30 miles before you reach nothing but desert. Everything about the Mojave is so pretty. The sights are truly breathtaking...it's the kind of scenery that gives you goosebumps.

2. Who doesn't go to LV for good times? I'd always have a friend from Cali (or family) visiting.

3. There's wonderful little dive bars, like Pioneer Saloon with such wonderful people (although most are twice my age).

That's it. The things I worry about:
1. I won't make any friends. From what I hear, you either don't make friends or you make friends you'll wish you never did.

2. I won't find a job, and because it's more expensive than Tucson, I'll end up with no money and no place.

The Sonoran desert isn't as pretty, but I assume jobs and friends would be a bit easier to obtain. It's cheaper too.

So tell me, am I choosing LV for the wrong reasons?

P.S.
I'm not looking for someone to make the decision for me. I just want to make sure I'm not being naive or setting myself up for major disappointment.

Thank you.
Your likes...

1- The desert is cool to look at. I was amazed by it when I first moved out here but now it is nothing special to me. I often drive through the open desrt, I visit the shooting range in the open desert, sometime have to work in the open desert, do military training in the open desert, I have slept in the open desrt, went running in the open desrt...etc. It has been over 3 years since my experience with the open desert. I can do without it now.

2-Everyone will come to visit especially if you provide a place for them to stay. I actually enjoy when family and friends come in town to visit. Gives me a reason to check out the strip and downtown area from a tourists perspective. Otherwise I would hardly go to those areas.

3-I just stick to the neighborhood PTs bar. Myself and the coworkers always go about once a month. But overall there are tons of bars all over Vegas. I have some vending machines in about 5 bars in the valley. Even during happy hour or on a Saturday afternoon I see friendly people stopping by for a drink.

Your worries...

1-I would not worry about this if I were you. You ultimately control how many and what type of friends you have. The people that complain about not meeting anyone Vegas have their own personal issues.

2-There are lots of threads on this. Your job finding ability will come down to background, skills, luck, what you are willing to do, meeting the right people, persistence and more luck.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:40 PM

113 posts, read 894,977 times
Yes, I am in my 20s - 24 to be exact.

I also do not plan to live there my whole life, unless its really amazing. I decided I wouldnt sign more than a 6 month lease so that if it doesnt work out, I can leave relatively quickly.

Oh and I'm a guy, if that changes anything (people here think I'm female)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas