Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used this option to move/ship? I recently found it doing some research and it seems like it might be an option. I submitted a quote request for the "Cube" crate which has inside dimensions of 45x45x46". From what I could tell, that would be about the right size for the small amount of stuff I want to move. The cost would be just over $400 allowing me 2-3 days to pack it, 3-4 days shipping time, and 2-3 days to unpack.

What is interesting about it is, they drop off an unassembled crate that you put together (looks pretty easy, there is a video on the website showing you how). They pick up the crate, then after you empty it, you take it back apart and they pick up the disassembled crate.

I havent researched any father about shipping my stuff UPS, but this seems like a fairly easy way to ship all of my stuff at once as opposed to individual boxes. One thing I did think of is the weather. I would likely want the cube sitting in the driveway as I load it and for pickup, but what if there is a blizzard going on? (not out of the question if I move in Jan/Feb)

Anyway, anyone use this service?

www.youcrate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I haven't. But I have heard stories about some of the 'POD' type moving services asking for more money before they will deliver to your new location. Sort of holding your stuff hostage. Just make sure you know what they are going to charge includes delivery to your new place. And check with the BBB too.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I haven't. But I have heard stories about some of the 'POD' type moving services asking for more money before they will deliver to your new location. Sort of holding your stuff hostage. Just make sure you know what they are going to charge includes delivery to your new place. And check with the BBB too.
The quote I got says "includes use of the cube, shipping, and fuel charge." If I decide to go this route, I will call for further clarification.

I looked into a POD, too, but I don't have NEARLY enough stuff to even come close to filling one even halfway and they are way more expensive.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM

421 posts, read 898,612 times
Try Moving Companies | U-Pack: The Money Saving Alternative to Traditional Moving. I cannot say enough about them!! They have both trucks and individual pods, Good luck, Denise

Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Anyway, anyone use this service?
We used a "U pack" service that we found on Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams -- I wouldn't THINK about choosing a company until I've read many articles on that website.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:23 PM

404 posts, read 1,196,104 times
We moved to Nevada from Massachusets three years ago and completed our moves in stages. Overall, we sent out 4 ABF U Pack POD-type units. We followed their packing directions and the only item that had the slightest damage was a wooden piece that I had scraped with a knife when cutting off the bubble wrap

The price they quoted is exactly what they charged. I would use them again in a heartbeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Try Moving Companies | U-Pack: The Money Saving Alternative to Traditional Moving. I cannot say enough about them!! They have both trucks and individual pods, Good luck, Denise

Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 PM

I did as U-Pack estimate. The cheapest option (the "do it yourself" way) is quoted at $1021. That's nearly 3 times what the You Crate estimate was.

I guess I was thinking an option like You Crate might be a better option for me because I just do not have that much stuff. All I am taking is clothes and other personal stuff like jewelry, etc and one small box of momentoes that I am not throwing out. Also a couple of pictures from the walls, maybe. No furniture, nothing big. Any type of pod type container would be way bigger than I need. If I was moving more stuff, that would be the way to go; it seems to be cheaper than PODS.

UPS may be my answer in the end. I'm just not sure about how to transport my boxes to be shipped and where to ship them to if I am not there yet.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
About a year and a half ago, when selecting a condo in Las Vegas, I researched all these (relatively) new "self pack" options. Frankly, the price quotes I got back from the companies did not show the savings I expected. In fact, several of the pod-type options were more expensive than traditional moving companies.

Bill

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
About a year and a half ago, when selecting a condo in Las Vegas, I researched all these (relatively) new "self pack" options. Frankly, the price quotes I got back from the companies did not show the savings I expected. In fact, several of the pod-type options were more expensive than traditional moving companies.

Bill
I also suggest to contact some traditional movers and see what they would charge. If you aren't in too much of a hurry to get it there it may not be terribly expensive. When we moved, it cost just about the same for a moving company vs. a POD and they did all the work. (Granted, we had 12,000 pounds.....)

If you do decide on UPS, get a private mailbox at a UPS store and they can deliver your stuff there and it will wait there until you are ready to pick it up.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
My problem with a you crate, is there is NO security, anyone can open the crate, and rifle thru your stuff.

A BIG FLAW

rlcarriers.com (who owns youcrate) has LOTS of complains against them.

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas