Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 AM

5 posts, read 8,219 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I read the bug thread o here and must say I am super scared at what I may find after I move to Vegas lol. Wolf spiders, scorpions, and giant ants?! Anywho I was looking for a bug killer to do run through of my home before my family moves in. Does anyone have any recommendations? I also heard that many people in Vegas get their homes fumigated every month. Is that the norm to keep bugs at bay? I want to make sure Im very careful as I have a little one. I hardly EVER see bugs at my place in Cali so this is a bit of a change but Im glad I know what Im getting into lol.
Thanks everyone =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
bugbully is by far the best..

Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancesport20 View Post
Hey guys! I read the bug thread o here and must say I am super scared at what I may find after I move to Vegas lol. Wolf spiders, scorpions, and giant ants?! Anywho I was looking for a bug killer to do run through of my home before my family moves in. Does anyone have any recommendations? I also heard that many people in Vegas get their homes fumigated every month. Is that the norm to keep bugs at bay? I want to make sure I'm very careful as I have a little one. I hardly EVER see bugs at my place in Cali so this is a bit of a change but I'm glad I know what I'm getting into lol.
Thanks everyone =)
You have too vivid an imagination. There are no giant ants, if you see a scorpion it would be extremely rare, I don't care what the merchants of chaos on this site tell you, and wolf spiders live outside in burrows and are not dangerous to humans. You might want to avoid walking too close to block walls in the neighborhood at night as that's when the black widows feed, but they are outside too, and at night they string ragged webs out a foot or so from the walls, and certain bushes. There is usually no good reason to spray poison inside your home, as it's gonna be worse for you than a few small bugs would be. Exterminators will say the poison is not harmful to you or your pets, but it's poison, and it definitely is harmful. We have Terminix come out every three months and spray all around the outside and that's all you'll ever need. It builds a barrier around the base of the house where any bugs might get in. Remember, bugs live outside and might venture in to look for food and water if they can. Mostly the barrier is for German cockroaches that come out of the grass at night. In our case they come over the wall from the neighbors behind us. I don't know where you live now, but I guarantee you have more critters to worry about wherever it is than you will ever see in Las Vegas.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
It's not the small german roaches that come inside your house in the summer, it's the giant field roaches as big as chihuahuas and pitbulls that do.
Can't say I've seen any giant ants yet, but it could have been a very brave ant that mated with a giant roach and the ant had giant babies, which killed it of course. lol

Old 07-09-2012, 02:39 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Lions, and tigers, and bears, OH MY!

JEEEZ. I have literally lived all over the world and Vegas has fewer bugs and nasty creatures than anyplace else I have ever lived. I don't know why people think we have to shovel scorpions and poisonous spiders off the driveway every morning.

Move to Houston, or Minneapolis. They have some REAL bugs for you!

Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's not the small german roaches that come inside your house in the summer, it's the giant field roaches as big as chihuahuas and pitbulls that do.
Can't say I've seen any giant ants yet, but it could have been a very brave ant that mated with a giant roach and the ant had giant babies, which killed it of course. lol
Well, I guess we are close to the Test Site where the A-Bombs created giant mutant critters like ants and spiders that the Army is called out to destroy now and then. I know it's true, I saw the movies.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 AM

526 posts, read 832,760 times
BREAKING NEWS!!

THEM

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,268 times
Yes, we have Bugs here, but I have to say they are some of the Mellow-ist bugs I ever came across.
there attitude is, don't bug us, and we won't bug you.

The roaches here, are Volkswagen sized though, one was parked in my driveway

Jonathan

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 34,204 times
Eh, the bugs there aren't that bad. I rarely had issues with them.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You have too vivid an imagination. There are no giant ants, if you see a scorpion it would be extremely rare, I don't care what the merchants of chaos on this site tell you, and wolf spiders live outside in burrows and are not dangerous to humans. You might want to avoid walking too close to block walls in the neighborhood at night as that's when the black widows feed, but they are outside too, and at night they string ragged webs out a foot or so from the walls, and certain bushes. There is usually no good reason to spray poison inside your home, as it's gonna be worse for you than a few small bugs would be. Exterminators will say the poison is not harmful to you or your pets, but it's poison, and it definitely is harmful. We have Terminix come out every three months and spray all around the outside and that's all you'll ever need. It builds a barrier around the base of the house where any bugs might get in. Remember, bugs live outside and might venture in to look for food and water if they can. Mostly the barrier is for German cockroaches that come out of the grass at night. In our case they come over the wall from the neighbors behind us. I don't know where you live now, but I guarantee you have more critters to worry about wherever it is than you will ever see in Las Vegas.
I have to argue with the scorpion coment, saying it is extremely rare only applys to certain areas. We have found, seen , killed around 75 so far in the 7 years weve lived in our neighborhood. All of our long time neighbors around us who have lived in their houses for the last 15-20 years, have all been stung well over 5 times by them. We have been lucky, no stings in our house yet but I'm sure the day will come.
Some neighborhoods in Vegas have never seen a scorpion, go figure! I wish I knew why some areas were infested and some not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas