Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM

727 posts, read 1,056,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
What I don't understand is if you like your pizza a certain way and can't find it...make it! I would think it would be easy enough.

Now, good ole midwest, fresh, peaches and cream sweet corn...that's a whole 'nother story! I will have to have the fam ship me some with some fresh grown MI tomatos!
I have tried to make my own pizza. It was almost inedible. I worked on it for months before giving up. The silly part was that it was more expensive for me to make my lousy pizza than to buy a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
What I don't understand is if you like your pizza a certain way and can't find it...make it! I would think it would be easy enough.

Now, good ole midwest, fresh, peaches and cream sweet corn...that's a whole 'nother story! I will have to have the fam ship me some with some fresh grown MI tomatos!
I had fresh Iowa sweet corn for lunch. I think I may have it again for dinner. So crisp and sweet and good you can eat it raw! I will get in a fist fight over corn...I think Iowa is the best

I just boil it about 2 minutes. YUM!

Old 07-12-2012, 05:18 PM

This should get a response. Costco's pizza in the food court (not the packaged ones) is very reasonably priced and decent.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 18,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newopty View Post
Any suggestions for good New York pizza in Las Vegas preferably not too far from North Las Vegas? I apologize because I am sure this topic has been beaten to death but a search wasn't very helpful.
You might be able to find decent pizza in Lodi or Englewood Cliffs - no further west than that. . .

The New Haven stuff is awesome [Sallys Apizza or Pepe's] if they cook it long enough or at the proper temperature - too many times the coal oven is not hot enough and while the bottom of the crust is blackened nicely the part under the mootz is too doughy. You need a good 450-500F coal oven to get that perfect crispy bottom and CHEWY not doughy crust. . .

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,810 times
Verazzano Pizza is the closest I've come to NY style pizza.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

383 posts, read 901,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
"Gourmet" does not mean "high dollar." It means "a connoisseur of good food" or "food that lives up to a connoisseur's standards."

To put it another way, "A very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster." It's all about care, quality, and attention to detail.

Sure, there is gourmet pizza out there. Any proprietor who makes everything from scratch, and gives a [censored] about the quality of the ingredients and the way in which they are prepared is making gourmet pizza.
I worked for two billionairre brothers from Peru whose family members would always try to impress them by bringing super expensive wines. They preferred to drink their $8 bottles of Concha y Toro. They gave me the best answer i have ever heard to what is good wine. "Whatever one you enjoy!" I think that can go for all foods. Gourmet to me is whatever I feel like having.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
You New Yawkahs and yer New Yawk style pizzsa!

I swear if someone blindfolded you New Yorkers, transported you to NY but told you you were somewhere else then gave you true NY pizza you would claim it wasn't as good!

This type of thread always makes me wonder why if the pizza, sweet tea, BBQ, jumbalaya or whatever is so great and important to have to have the authentic version, why did you LEAVE the place where it's authentic?
This post is friggin funny. Had to rep you and comment.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbov View Post
I grew up in NYC and the Connecticut suburbs and love NY style pizza - thin crust (soft yet crispy), and relatively light on the sauce and cheese. There is no type of pizza that comes close. Sorry Chicagoans, and all you tasteless philistines who order a pizza from Papa Johns or at a PT'S Pub and remark how good it is despite being undercooked and over-cheesed garbage.

The "no name" pizza place at the Cosmopolitan has very good authentic NY style pizza, served in the walk up to the counter and order a slice style of a NYC pizzeria. It also has Stone IPA on tap
Cosmo pizza dude came from Connecticut. Came to Vegas to run that pizza shop.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanchepilot View Post
You might be able to find decent pizza in Lodi or Englewood Cliffs - no further west than that. . .

The New Haven stuff is awesome [Sallys Apizza or Pepe's] if they cook it long enough or at the proper temperature - too many times the coal oven is not hot enough and while the bottom of the crust is blackened nicely the part under the mootz is too doughy. You need a good 450-500F coal oven to get that perfect crispy bottom and CHEWY not doughy crust. . .
Pretty long drive from Las Vegas. I might get side tracked on the drive and end up in Chicago for some deep dish

Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I had fresh Iowa sweet corn for lunch. I think I may have it again for dinner. So crisp and sweet and good you can eat it raw! I will get in a fist fight over corn...I think Iowa is the best

I just boil it about 2 minutes. YUM!
Ok, you really are teasing me right now! I don't think MI corn is ready yet. Maybe just getting there, they have had a hot spring. I never had Iowa corn, to my knowledge...but I love the fresh stuff, for sure! That's how I cook mine too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas