Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM

30 posts, read 96,203 times

Advertisements

I had been an entrepreneur for several years, but to make long story short, I had to end my business at the end of last year. I took some time off to relax & re-energize, and now I'm looking for a job, specifically some type of mid-level professional/management position. I have a couple of degrees from prestigious universities and have solid work experience. I guess the big red mark would be that I was self-employed for the last few years, doing my own thing, and I know corps don't look at that favorably.

Just quickly browsing through this forum, it seems like Vegas is still a horrific place to look for a job yet simply going to a job listing site, like Nevada JobBank for example, there are literally 1000s of jobs posted, and I'm talking about full-time jobs within 25 miles of where I live.

Granted, I won't be applying to most of them, but I saw about 10 jobs that I could apply to in the 1st 100 listing on that list alone.

Now the question is whether this is the right way to go about applying for a job: simply filling out online applications & attaching resume, and waiting to hear back...in other words, just be one of the lemmings hoping to get noticed somehow and get picked.

Or should I be taking on a more "aggressive" hands-on approach where I personally go visit/call HR/recruiters and keep "bugging" them (daily if I have to) until at least they seriously consider my application. I keep reading that in Vegas, it's not how much you know, but who you know, and people get jobs through already having or building personal connections.

I specifically would hear from those who have managed to get a job (mid-level professional type) recently in Vegas and what they had to do/went through.

I feel like with so many people looking for jobs, with a small percentage of those folks having similar qualifications to mine or better, I have to somehow find a way to stand out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM

37 posts, read 108,787 times
Its been a few months since your posting. Have you found a job yet? I'm also just starting my job search here. I'm staying with friends for the time being and applying like crazy. I've had 3 interviews in 3 days -- all for different positions (marketing analyst positions). I'm following up with phone calls and continuing my search. And you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas