Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:49 PM

460 posts, read 987,887 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine's father was at the Nevada Atomic Test site, for nine of those nuclear tests. He stayed in Las Vegas after he got out of the service, and I had the opportunity to meet him once, several years ago. He had quite a few stories. He eventually died of cancer, but was (I think) 78 years old at the time. Still, you have to wonder if there was a connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,732 times
Captain Kirk: Checkov you know anything about a radiation surge?
Commander Pavel Chekov: Only the size of my head.
Captain Kirk: I know what you mean.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
At one time, between Nellis and the Test Site, there were about 10,000 employees working for the government or government contractors. Clinton made a deal with Russia and all those people were suddenly unemployed, causing us to lose our nuclear brain trust. Not that you could trust them.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Have a friend who used to run the security at the test site. He introduced me to one of his old employees who got to stand guard at the base of the tower when one of the nukes failed to go off. How would you like to be standing at ground zero less than 150 feet below the bomb while two scientist fiddled with it to figure out why it did not go off. They had no real idea whether the bomb was armed or not...or whether touching the wrong thing was going to send them to instant oblivion. I shook his hand which had not been atomized so obviously they made it.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 AM

Have heard lots of Test Site stories over the years. My wife has been present for an underground test. Jim Rogers as a kid stood on a hillside and watched an atmospheric test. I think he's OK but I guess a few years ago he had a cancer scare. Probably not related. Know lots of Area 51 people also. Some may be spies from another galaxy. When you tour the Test Site, there is a test set up that never was completed. It was to be a British test but the treaty was signed before it was detonated. Now it's a tourist attraction showing what the tower, and device looks like, with all the wiring that goes into the shaft. Of course all those miles of cables are vaporized from the blast, but not before the info reaches the computers, which is instantaneous with the detonation. The computers are set up so that as soon as the info is downloaded it cuts off before the computers go up in smoke too. Can you imagine the power of a computer that fast? Along the road you'll see a hump of earth that covers the underground device assembly lab. It is constructed to implode inwardly instead of outwardly in case a scientist attach's the red wire where the black one was supposed to go.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM

The first U.S. nuclear field exercise conducted on land, troops shown are 6 miles from the blast.
November 1951, Nevada Test Site

Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Test site workers exposed

New help for former test site workers - Opinion - ReviewJournal.com

Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,689 times
I was listening to vegas public radio the other day and they did an interview with the man that was responsible for taking all the pictures and the video for that 2kt test(amongst most all the other nuclear tests). it turns out to be a close friend of our family... George Yo****ake.(dont now why the language filter is kicking in... George Yo Shi Take)

My family is Japanese and from Santa Maria... where george is living now(lompoc)

Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I was listening to vegas public radio the other day and they did an interview with the man that was responsible for taking all the pictures and the video for that 2kt test(amongst most all the other nuclear tests). it turns out to be a close friend of our family... George Yo****ake.(dont now why the language filter is kicking in... George Yo Shi Take)

My family is Japanese and from Santa Maria... where george is living now(lompoc)
and here's a picture of one of the shoes he was wearing at the time...

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
Heck...once a year, Las Vegas should throw an Atomicfest weekend. Maybe even set up an actual test in the desert.

Either every hotel room would sold out that weekend...or else it would be a ghost town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: