Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

At the Cabaret in the Smith Center.

It is a show that I would recommend you go see. Four men, three singers and a piano/bass/guitar player. A lot of their work is original, but uses tunes you recognize with new words. They sing a variety of types of songs, all done very, very well. The three main singers have VOICES if you know what mean. The show is a mix of great song and music, comedy, reminiscence, and inspiration. Those of us "Of a Certain Age" will be more simpatico.

These guys can sing. Of note, Ted Keegan sang Danny Boy and the entire audience was mesmerized. They each, at different times during the show, relate some personal history that tells us how they became who they are as entertainers. One was the Phantom for 17 years, another in Les Misérables for 2200+ performances. The piano player worked with Debbie Reynolds and traveled the world with her. The fourth was in Forever Plaid.

To make it simpler for me and my lousy memory:
Quote:
Inspired by the spirit of the Rat Pack, three singers from “Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular” realized that the bulk of their careers were supported by three shows. Ted Keegan spent years playing the Phantom in “Phantom of the Opera” on the road & on Broadway. Randal Keith spent years playing Jean Valjean in “Les Miserables” on the road and on Broadway. Bruce Ewing sang 3 of the 4 roles in “Forever Plaid” on the road and in Las Vegas.
The Phat Pack - The Smith Center for the Performing Arts - The Smith Center for the Performing Arts

The venue is wonderful as it is small enough that there is no bad seat in the house. You can order food and drink, and our total bill with an appetizer (fruit and cheese plate don't miss the honey and spread some on the strawberry!), two beers, a glass of wine and tip: $32.00 the entire evening was about $80.00 and worth every penny.

Highly recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I heard they were good and you can't beat the Smith Center, great venue!

Glad you had a good time. Try and hit Main Street Station while you are here. Not expensive and great buffet for the money.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks! We're always looking for things/places and have been fortunate enough to have a lot of Vegans(?) offering ideas. We ended up at the Phat Pack because of a couple we met that live in green Valley. They were on the plane we took that the engine blew up on.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
At the Cabaret in the Smith Center.

It is a show that I would recommend you go see. Four men, three singers and a piano/bass/guitar player. A lot of their work is original, but uses tunes you recognize with new words. They sing a variety of types of songs, all done very, very well. The three main singers have VOICES if you know what mean. The show is a mix of great song and music, comedy, reminiscence, and inspiration. Those of us "Of a Certain Age" will be more simpatico.

These guys can sing. Of note, Ted Keegan sang Danny Boy and the entire audience was mesmerized. They each, at different times during the show, relate some personal history that tells us how they became who they are as entertainers. One was the Phantom for 17 years, another in Les Misérables for 2200+ performances. The piano player worked with Debbie Reynolds and traveled the world with her. The fourth was in Forever Plaid.

To make it simpler for me and my lousy memory: The Phat Pack - The Smith Center for the Performing Arts - The Smith Center for the Performing Arts

The venue is wonderful as it is small enough that there is no bad seat in the house. You can order food and drink, and our total bill with an appetizer (fruit and cheese plate don't miss the honey and spread some on the strawberry!), two beers, a glass of wine and tip: $32.00 the entire evening was about $80.00 and worth every penny.

Highly recommended.
We were there yesterday afternoon for Memphis. Not a bad show. Not fantastic. Too long. The Smith was a little disappointing, starting with the parking situation. Obviously they were going for the old style theater architecture, so the building is beautiful, but it's not all that user friendly. As in every other part of Nevada, signage seems to be a dirty word; that's been my main complaint of Nevada for the last five decades. The seats are very uncomfortable; ours were not only turned slightly away from head on to the stage, the floor was tilted and so were the seats. The place is a maze: you can't be sure the hallway you ventured into will actually lead somewhere you might want to go; restrooms are few and far between and hard to find; there are way too many stairs, especially for all the older people walking with canes that made up most of the audience, and about half the stairs seem to be for decoration only and take up too much space; and elevators are poorly located blocking entrance to the theater, hard to find, too small, very confusing with half floors, and doors in front and back with nothing to tell you which way you'll be getting off.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln and I enjoyed the play.

We were wondering about the jazz club. Glad you enjoyed it. We'll probably go there one of these nights. But as for the theater, we think most Strip hotel showrooms are much better venues.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Don't expect comfort in the Cabaret. My ass ached the whole time. Parking is okay if you catch one of the electric carts, but it belongs where the grass is... or an elevated escalator and moving walkway that is air conditioned. Something better. One of the people at our table was in a wheel chair (one of those powered things) and they had one heck of a time.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
MMOB is going to be on this thread like white on rice.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 PM

If he and the Mrs. are feeling better they're probably somewhere between here and Florida. But I'm sure he'll chime in. He is a fan as I am. A little discomfort doesn't bother me, especially when the pricing is so reasonable, and the entertainment is so good.

Mrs. Tek and I hopped on one of those electric carts on the way in and it stopped right in front of our car. On the way back we found it at the entrance to the parking area. Made the distance seem short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas