Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM

18 posts, read 22,355 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are looking for a reliable and reasonable satellite dish installer.
Once we have the HOA approval we want to install a Shaw direct (Canadian) dish on our condo.

It is a single story with a flat roof, so it is fairly easy, it require a non-penetrating mount on a rubber mat.

I have contacted a few installers I have found using google , only one answered me and he wanted a minimum of $500 plus materials , so the total would be close to $800 when done

Any help appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,132 times
To Be honest this is not rocket science (well, its orbital science, but I digress)

ANY Roofer, worth his spit, can mount the dish for you, and there usually is a blinky red light on the dish
that lets you know when you are locked onto the 'bird' (The internet will provide you a approx position)
then you run a cable down the side of your house, into "Room X" and connect up!

Jonathan

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,856,709 times
Good luck with that. Since you are far south of the border, the signal is not nearly as strong as near the center of the footprint of the satellites that broadcast Shaw Direct. That means you will need a larger dish for reliable reception, 1.2 meters or larger. That exceeds the size that OTARD protects. OTARD only gives you rights up to one meter. So the HOA is within their rights to tell you you can't put it up.

Canada Satellite | Shaw Direct | FAQs

Edit: Sorry, I misread that site. Actually, it says the standard dish will work in the continental US. It was west and southwest Alaska that needed the bigger dish, not west and southwest continental USA.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 07-27-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
To Be honest this is not rocket science (well, its orbital science, but I digress)

ANY Roofer, worth his spit, can mount the dish for you, and there usually is a blinky red light on the dish
that lets you know when you are locked onto the 'bird' (The internet will provide you a approx position)
then you run a cable down the side of your house, into "Room X" and connect up!

Jonathan
I'm sure it's changed in the last few years since FTA went dead and Dish implemented Nagra3, but even being somewhat handy it wasn't a cakewalk to get 110 & 119s signal strength up to par. A mm here, a mm there, azimuth, blah blah blah. Again, unless it's changed it's easy but not that easy.

OP: Any re seller of Dish or Direct should be able to give you the name(s) of competent installers. Different satellite, same setup.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
that lets you know when you are locked onto the 'bird'
Uh, no they don't, and if you were familiar at all with satellite TV I don't think you would have written that.

You aim and peak the dish with either the signal strength meter that is built into the satellite receiver, or a standalone meter that is connected to, and powers the LNBs on the dish.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I'm sure it's changed in the last few years since FTA went dead and Dish implemented Nagra3, but even being somewhat handy it wasn't a cakewalk to get 110 & 119s signal strength up to par. A mm here, a mm there, azimuth, blah blah blah. Again, unless it's changed it's easy but not that easy.

OP: Any re seller of Dish or Direct should be able to give you the name(s) of competent installers. Different satellite, same setup.
One (minor) complication is that a receiver for Canadian satellite TV will likely not be able to display azimuth and elevation angles for USA addresses. The installer will need to go online to find a satellite aiming calculator that works for Shaw Direct satellites and USA addresses (zip code, lat/long, whatever). I don't think every installer will know to do that.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Uh, no they don't, and if you were familiar at all with satellite TV I don't think you would have written that.

You aim and peak the dish with either the signal strength meter that is built into the satellite receiver, or a standalone meter that is connected to, and powers the LNBs on the dish.
I had direct TV, I installed the dish myself, using the same method I posted, I connected the dish to the receiver, using loose cable, and pointed it, then once I had a general idea, I mounted it to my roof and did more precise aiming...

Jonathan

Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,043 times
Do I understand the OP correctly... put a sat dish on a tripod (without anchors) on his roof?
What about the wind?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM

41 posts, read 117,670 times
Here is a good website to use to find where to point your dish.
It's not very hard, make sure the mast is plumb (use a level).
I used to install dishes all the time up here, pointing to dish, direct tv, bell....
I would also be concerned about the size of your dish when setting it up. Some channels may not come in due to weak transponders. When I pointed to dish or directv, I used a 30" dish to ensure I received all the channels. An 18" dish wouldn't give me a strong enough signal.
I've never installed a shaw dish. From Wikipedia, these are the official names of the satellites you need to find.
"It broadcasts on Ku band from two communications satellites, Anik F1R at 107.3°W and Anik F2 at 111.1°W"

Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Once you get it set up, let me know. I really miss watching hockey when I'm down there! Go Oilers.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Do I understand the OP correctly... put a sat dish on a tripod (without anchors) on his roof?
What about the wind?
Nevermind, I figured out what he meant (...the mount is secured by ballast)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas