Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times

Advertisements

Worse than Jackson, Mississippi? Yup!

Education in America

"Thanks to Las Vegas' declining tax revenue and state aid, the school district was recently downgraded by both Standard & Poor's and Moody's, thereby thwarting plans for $5.3 billion in school maintenance needed over the next decade."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,370,522 times
Well, if everyone would kindly send in the taxes they paid on their homes back in 2006, then I am sure Las Vegas could possibly rectify that problem. But truth be told, a really good teacher can teach with only a blackboard and chalk. The other things can stimulate, but so can a good teacher.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well, if everyone would kindly send in the taxes they paid on their homes back in 2006, then I am sure Las Vegas could possibly rectify that problem. But truth be told, a really good teacher can teach with only a blackboard and chalk. The other things can stimulate, but so can a good teacher.
When the school system doubles class size, there's only so much that teacher can do. People 'plex about class size because there is no better metric for quality in primary education. The district's woes are largely self-inflicted. The district is top-heavy with administration to the point of stupidity. Schools have sub-assistant-vice-principals whose only job is to walk around the hallways drinking coffee. You think I'm joking? Ask Everdeen or my wife. My wife tells me that there are two people at her school whose only job is to walk the hallways drinking coffee. I'm sure that isn't the official job description. But she's never seen them doing anything else.

And every year, CCSD implements some new and stupidly-expensive program. They give it an acronym name and then all the administrators wander around, spouting alphabet-soup gobbledygook. "We need to do the IEPs for NCLB compliance!"

Yeah, that really teaches kids how to read.

I think we should reverse the mistake we made in 1956 and break up CCSD and give control of the schools back to the local neighborhoods. That would stink for the low income kids. But their schools already stink. At least that way parents could influence a LITTLE control over the direction of their neighborhood schools. Currently, they have no say whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: