Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

It's not much different from the "exit polls" that are done on election day (which, to me, are more personal, given the "sanctity of the voting booth" and all that) or pre-election telephone polls that ask the same question the OP answered. Some feel comfortable answering the question, others don't. I don't see the "if the election were held today who would you vote for" as a particularly personal question, apparently the OP didn't either. Others like yourself feel differently, and are free to decline to answer.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:30 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I was at the DMV (on Decauter) this morning to officially get my Nevada Drivers license, and register to vote, while I was on line a man dressed 'semi officially' came up to me and ask me If I am registered to Vote, I said it was one of the things I was here to do today. He said "I have a poll question to ask" I said "Sure" he asked "If the election was today, would I vote for Obama, or Romney" I replied "Obama"
He thanked me, and pulled out a form, and told me to fill it out and "drop it inside"

While I was getting my new license, one of the check boxes was "register to vote"
When we got to that part of the business, I told the DMV rep that I had already filled out the 'form'
she looked at the form, and said it is not the proper form, and would be ignored, and gave me the correct form to fill out... Now my question is, If I answered "Romney" WHAT FORM WOULD I HAVE RECEIVED?

Jonathan
I'm wondering why you think he was a republican? Nothing you've said here indicates either party. I'd think he just had an out dated form. Not necessarily shady actions just a mistake.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 PM

107 posts, read 149,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I was at the DMV (on Decauter) this morning to officially get my Nevada Drivers license, and register to vote, while I was on line a man dressed 'semi officially' came up to me and ask me If I am registered to Vote, I said it was one of the things I was here to do today. He said "I have a poll question to ask" I said "Sure" he asked "If the election was today, would I vote for Obama, or Romney" I replied "Obama"
He thanked me, and pulled out a form, and told me to fill it out and "drop it inside"

Jonathan
Woow. I didn't think cannabis was legal yet in Nevada.

guy

Old 08-18-2012, 08:39 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Look folks, yes I am a democrat and a NY Jewish one at that (that's is the most extreme you can get)
But lets just stick to the facts here. and not try and spin the story around.

The bottom line is, that BOTH parties are guilty of voter manipulation, to quote Lewis Black, The democrat and republican party is like a bucket of s#i† looking in the mirror.

-- Nuff said

Jonathan

Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
[mod cut-- quoting deleted post] We're not really sure what went on at the DMV during MacGeeks visit, we don't even know what (if any) party affiliation that person had. All conjecture.
[reference to deleted post]
I'm not about to just lay blame to the Democrats, there are way too many slimy things happening on both sides. I just get defensive when someone tries to paint their party above the other. It's issues, not parties. The football team mentality is getting us nowhere.

Last edited by observer53; 08-18-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Several posts deleted.

If you want to discuss voter registration and/or voter suppression generally, take it to the P and OC forum.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfapps View Post
...I think they should have just handed out a flyer saying "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely." ...
Actually, the quote is "Power Corrupts. Absolute Power is kind of neat." -- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Just came from the Decatur DMV a few hours ago. There were at least 8 people out front bugging people about registering. At least 7 were republican.

Every time they would ask someone their party affiliation or candidate of choice, they had nothing but positive things to say. If the opposite was mentioned then they wanted to have a discussion on why you should vote different.

I just let them all know that I was an absentee voter for the state of Florida...they left me alone.

Sent from phone using app

Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM

This is/was a difficult thread to edit, because of the difficulty people have with keeping it just about the OP. Local political issues ARE okay in the city/state forums, but they have to stay related to that locale and the OP. Lots of the forums here have this situation, particularly in election years.

If you read the whole thread, there are posts related to the OP from both sides of the fence, and posts from those who stated that both parties use various tactics, in LV included, to serve their purposes (assuming that what the OP experienced was a tactic, and not just giving out the wrong form, as someone suggested).

That's about as far as the original topic can go. And, I didn't count how many off topic posts that were deleted came from which side or the other.

Last edited by observer53; 08-18-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas