Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Since I'll be moving to Tucson, I've been comparing the temp's between Las Vegas & Tucson for 3 years now. What will you see? Cooler evenings for sure (by 5-10 degrees) in the summer, but colder evenings in winter. And a few degrees cooler in the daytime. Altitude is the name of the game in the SW! Go 65 miles south of Tucson to Nogales/Rio Rico, and you've risen to 3880 feet!

Tucson also gets more precip. (10-11 inches a year), in comparison to Las Vegas with our 4 inches a year.
Translated, more humidity in Tucson!

Phoenix gets 7-8 inches of precip. a year, a little more humidity there.

What's most enviable about Phoenix is the lack of winds in wintertime. 6.2MPH average windspeeds, in comparison to Las Vegas' nasty 9.2MPH. When I lived there I never complained about the nasty windchill there in winter, as opposed to this city, where you need longjohns to survive our winters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM

419 posts, read 907,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
....What's most enviable about Phoenix is the lack of winds in wintertime. 6.2MPH average windspeeds, in comparison to Las Vegas' nasty 9.2MPH. When I lived there I never complained about the nasty windchill there in winter, as opposed to this city, where you need longjohns to survive our winters!

Wow...I never realized that! It occurs to me I've only been in Las Vegas in the spring or summers.

Las Vegas Long Johns, who would have thunk it?

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Maybe it's a little less windy overall but I've seen some really bad dust storms in the Phoenix area. More than I've seen in Vegas. I agree Vegas is a few degrees cooler. The summer humidity in Phoenix is rough once the monsoons start. It can feel like a steambath!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Maybe it's a little less windy overall but I've seen some really bad dust storms in the Phoenix area. More than I've seen in Vegas. I agree Vegas is a few degrees cooler. The summer humidity in Phoenix is rough once the monsoons start. It can feel like a steambath!
It's been like that here lately as well. Agreed on the dust storms. Why does that dust kick up like that? We get wind here too, but not the dust storms like Pheonix.

Oh and to the previous poster- yes it gets cold here. In the twenties with high winds at times.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Elevation of Tucson is a little higher than Las Vegas. Haven't been to Sierra Vista in 40 some years, but as I recall there were trees, and the mountains were within a few short miles, so it must be higher than Tucson.
It is actually down in a river valley (the San Pedro) but is still high 4600 feet or so. It is a clear scrub desert climate. No real trees except along the river. Quite dry - virtually all homes have swamp coolers as well as AC. It is reasonably close to Bisbee which is into the mountains and well treed and also to Tombstone which is pretty much naked desert.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Wow...I never realized that! It occurs to me I've only been in Las Vegas in the spring or summers.

Las Vegas Long Johns, who would have thunk it?
If you plan to be outside in December on a windy day (or night) you might feel comfortable in long johns, but few people here actually wear those. It can get below freezing sometimes late at night or, mostly, early morning, and that lasts maybe an hour usually, and nobody is out at that time of night anyway. But our winters are pretty mild compared to ...well, almost anywhere except SoCal. You'll also see people (usually very fat people) in t-shirts and shorts in winter. Only one time in my 48 years here have we had relatively deep snow that was still on the ground three days later. It's usually gone in 20 minutes if it snows at all.

If you've ever been ice skating on a frozen lake in West Virginia when it was 20º below you'll know what cold is; or skiing at Jackson, WY, on the first of January.

It's all relative.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Yup - I adopt to the cold weather by putting on long pants. I wear shorts from March to the first of December and long pants the winter time. If it is really cold or the wind is blowing hard I wear a wind breaker. I have good winter gear from my days in upstate NY. But one does not wear a parka at 30 degrees F.

I can't imagine ever wearing long johns in Vegas. That is for winter weather. I suppose if you are ski patrol on Mt. Charleston. But otherwise insane.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's been like that here lately as well. Agreed on the dust storms. Why does that dust kick up like that? We get wind here too, but not the dust storms like Phoenix.

Oh and to the previous poster- yes it gets cold here. In the twenties with high winds at times.
A lot of the areas the dust gets picked up in are agricultural, so the dirt is not packed like the natural desert (although when it's as dry as it's been here, some of that gets picked up too). Some of it is the directions from which those storms come, they have a long straight shot into the Valley, without mountains blocking the way. Topography and wind direction(s) in Vegas must be different.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yup - I adopt to the cold weather by putting on long pants. I wear shorts from March to the first of December and long pants the winter time. If it is really cold or the wind is blowing hard I wear a wind breaker. I have good winter gear from my days in upstate NY. But one does not wear a parka at 30 degrees F.

I can't imagine ever wearing long johns in Vegas. That is for winter weather. I suppose if you are ski patrol on Mt. Charleston. But otherwise insane.
I have seen them come out at 45 and below in Vegas and certainly pretty warm jackets are out in December and January. It is pretty hilarious when you see locals are wearing some pretty heavy jackets while a handful of tourists insist on wearing shorts and sandals even though its in the 40s or 50s.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A lot of the areas the dust gets picked up in are agricultural, so the dirt is not packed like the natural desert (although when it's as dry as it's been here, some of that gets picked up too). Some of it is the directions from which those storms come, they have a long straight shot into the Valley, without mountains blocking the way. Topography and wind direction(s) in Vegas must be different.
Yeah, Vegas is a valley with mountains on three sides. When I see storms picking up from your neck of the woods, I pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: