Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Thanks.

I figured as much..kinda like you can only deploy so many surge troops as the logistics, transport, and life support can only process so many..or how only so many projects are "shovel ready" no matter how much money you have.

I do think that the private sector, as opposed to government, has the ability to rapidly increase pipeline bandwith if they believe additional profits can be made pretty quickly.
Yup - It is actually my favorite subject in the development of technology. I ran an infinite budget project and planned a couple of others over the years. And actually had a couple of Phds helping me see what was in fact doable.

They key to success in such activities is existing structure - organizations with working capabilities that can be redirected.

If you have to start it off from a zero base you are not going to do well. The nature of organizations almost forbids success.

that is where I was going to write a book -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
This is a system with people and procedures. These limit flow rate. Some of the pieces are governmental. Many belong to the banks. At the peak of the runup with more than 5,000 REOs in inventory they were processing around 3000 units a month. And within a quarter they were down to 2700. With the newer requirements I doubt they could handle half as many. Over a long period of time they could do better perhaps but you are now talking in years rather than months. Paper does not flow magically. It has to be looked at, actions taken, decision made. It is time consuming.

There is a famous case in the literature of large development. What can you do with an infinite budget? It is always an interesting exercise. The first thing you learn is that there are very tight limits on how fast an organization can grow. You have to train the newly arrived. You have to procure, install and startup new tools. And all the resources you use for this are taken from the primary mission.

Practically you have to delay the short term deliverables for the longer term capability. You can be twice as good in a year...but only at the cost of half production now...

And when you run up against a governmental limit you may not be able to fix it with money...Say the recorder is processing all the documents that are feasible with the existing system. If you add more you simply create a back log of undone work which grows without limit. It constrains your ability to proceed as you must wait for the document(s) to come out of the pipe. Soon you foreclose only as many homes as the recorder will process...
This is a great post and there is a lot of knowledge in there that applies to businesses in general, not just those related to real estate.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 PM

261 posts, read 422,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Throw her against the wall" because she allegedly doesn't understand the affect of foreclosures on the LV real estate market? Perhaps some links re: your accusation would help.

July's AB284 & Market Update - YouTube

Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I don't have a link, but she did participate in legislation against the banks. This was legislation attempted at keeping people in their homes and punishing lenders who didn't dot their I's and cross their T's. ( Also intended to garner votes, no doubt- this is Nevada after all)

Perhaps the poster you were responding to is a frustrated realtor or investor. Either way, "throwing someone against the wall" is a little over the top for me, so I will avoid this poster in the future.
Please do not take me literally. Coming from Illinois I have a great deal of disdain for politicians. I merely want the stupid ones defeated in an election.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
Tbill - If all the stupid ones were defeated in elections, that would leave the seats vacant!

Sounds like a great idea to me

Old 08-22-2012, 12:50 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Resale homes should be selling for over $100 per sf. Until it gets to that level this is all a lot of noise and maneuvering. Investors are buying now even at $80sf or a bit more because they can see $100sf is an inevitable price point and probably it goes higher. Even at $100sf and with high unemployment, the price to income is still a considerable bargain by pretty much anywhere in the world standards especially with low interest rates. Lots of the homes sold today will be resold to owner occupiers in the next few years at higher prices and more accomodating loan conditions (but not low rates). The people who are trying to get into the mix right now as owner occupiers are understandably having a tough time because the market isn't really meant for them. Either pay something closer to the $100sf level and win the bid, or find a way to do it without a loan and get the bargain pricing meant more for the wholesale crowd. I mean that is basically what the market is telling you isn't it?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,331 times
Fannie Mae is listing well above the highest comps because Homepath does not require appraisals.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Fannie Mae is listing well above the highest comps because Homepath does not require appraisals.
This burned me quite hard because i went with conventional financing and had to cover the shortfall between appraisal and selling price = 16k plus 20% down = 38k

but thanks to the down payment assistance program i still came in at $53/sf

Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Tbill - If all the stupid ones were defeated in elections, that would leave the seats vacant!

Sounds like a great idea to me
I just hope the voters in NV. are smarter than the ones in Il.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yup - It is actually my favorite subject in the development of technology. I ran an infinite budget project and planned a couple of others over the years. And actually had a couple of Phds helping me see what was in fact doable.

They key to success in such activities is existing structure - organizations with working capabilities that can be redirected.

If you have to start it off from a zero base you are not going to do well. The nature of organizations almost forbids success.

that is where I was going to write a book -
You know how you fix a broken structure like that? You build a team. A loyal team that is willing to do everything you ask in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas