Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times

Advertisements

Will be visiting Vegas in January for 2 weeks. Would love suggestions besides gambling. I am in my 50s so nightclubbing is not something I want to do.
Read about the Zip Line - and open to other fun ideas.
Would love to rent a jeep for a day or two but not sure where.
Help me plan my vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
in January, you could go skiing or snowboarding at Mt. Charleston. You could be a glutton at any one of our fine dining establishments, go shopping, have a cold one at Nine Fine Irishmen, people-watch on the strip or on Fremont. You could also check out RACING SCHOOL, Exotics racing school is the ultimate driving experience at Las Vegas Speedway with Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche. and race a car on the speedway.

When I did my cheesy Vegas weekend, I enjoyed The Blue Man Group. There are generally a lot of good concerts in town these days as well. The Las Vegas Sun's website generally has a good wrap on what's coming up. I'm told the Smith Center has some first class entertainment as well.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:18 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
On our last trip we went on a Scoot City Tour through Red Rock Canyon. Had a wonderful time! Very nice guides and those little scooters can move...we had them up to 60 mph on our way to Red Rock.

Red Rock Canyon Scooter Car Tour - Scoot City Tours

Another nice "off strip" excursion is through Cowboy Trail Rides. We did the Sunset ride with dinner at the end of the ride.
Another well run attraction that we would do again.

Cowboy Trail Rides Las Vegas,NV Horseback Riding Tours in Redrock Canyon

Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
January is an excellent time to visit Death Valley and a Jeep isn't necessary, but could come in handy if you decide to take one of the dirt roads. If you can't do Death Valley, at least see the Valley of Fire. Also tour Hoover Dam, maybe walk out on the new Hoover dam Bridge, see lake Mead but not just the small arm that is seen from the dam, have breakfast, lunch, or dinner at Mt. Charleston Lodge (4WD could be handy if it snows -wear warm clothes, it's cold on Mt. Chas in winter). A 4WD would also some in handy for a back country trip in Gold Butte if you're looking for a true desert experience: Gold Butte Region - Area Overview

On a 2 week vacation, there's plenty of time to see what is arguably the most beautiful of the National Parks, Zion Canyon NP, which is only 3 - 3½ hrs from Las Vegas. You might even have time to see the greatest NP, the Grand Canyon.

Museums such as the Atomic Testing Mus., the Clark County Mus., or the new Mob Mus., are a good way to spend an afternoon. Springs Preserve is worth it even though the tickets should be $10 cheaper IMHO. I think the price also gets you into the new Nevada State Museum at Springs Preserve too.

There is a lot more - just Google it.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
My personal contribution to your itinerary:

Get a Soul Vaccination Monday Night @the Palms Lounge

$10 (no drink min.)

» Testimonials Santa Fe and The Fat City Horns

Soul-stirring jams that will turn a frown upside down...

Stay Funky!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM

2,849 posts, read 4,521,584 times
some other ideas:

* Ash Meadows just outside Pahrump (~60 miles north west of Vegas)
* Scotty's Castle in Death Valley
* China Ranch Date Farm
* the town of Blue Diamond
* Ethel M Cactus gardens
* Hoover Dam tour
* Neon Museum - either just recently opened or will be by the time you get here
* and, if you're REALLY adventurous....you could always do a tour of a brothel in Pahrump! You don't have to partake in the festivities, it really is just a tour of the brothel. There are 2 that offer tours, check with Pahrump Chamber of Commerce for more info on that

Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
some other ideas:

* Ash Meadows just outside Pahrump (~60 miles north west of Vegas)
* Scotty's Castle in Death Valley
* China Ranch Date Farm
* the town of Blue Diamond
* Ethel M Cactus gardens
* Hoover Dam tour
* Neon Museum - either just recently opened or will be by the time you get here
* and, if you're REALLY adventurous....you could always do a tour of a brothel in Pahrump! You don't have to partake in the festivities, it really is just a tour of the brothel. There are 2 that offer tours, check with Pahrump Chamber of Commerce for more info on that
Ha, ha. When I hear Ash Meadows I recall it as a brothel. It had an airstrip, and one of the nicest FAMILY restaurants in the state back in the 60s and 70s. Now it's a wildlife preserve rather than a nightlife preserve.

I always forget to tell people about the Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Cactus Gardens. Chances are the Christmas lights will still be up for the OP's visit.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
There is also Bonnie Springs Ranch out the Redrock way

I wonder if we could get this thread pinned? A lot of visitors might enjoy the information.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
I think I read somewhere that you are only allowed two stickys in a forum. But, it is definitely one to bookmark!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM

2,849 posts, read 4,521,584 times
i wasn't impressed with bonnie springs - seemed to be a little run down? or maybe a better phrase is it's in serious need of tlc.

a couple other places i totally forgot about: pahrump is home to 2 wineries - the ONLY ones in nevada. there is the pahrump valley winery (the original winery) which has been here longer than i have (8 yrs). they have been using their own grapes to bottle their wine for years now & they have a restaurant that is delish! their sangria is to die for!!

the 2nd winery opened about a year ago - sanders or saunders family winery. i'm not sure if they are bottling with their own grapes yet, but they are getting rave reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas