Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times

Advertisements

Strange Las Vegas Phenomenon - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 AM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times
The principal at my son's school canceled all homework yesterday because they feared too many textbooks would get wet and ruined. The flooding nearby was pretty bad, but come on. What kind of society have we become? You know, back in the day, all of us walked 3 miles to school, barefoot in the snow, etc?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I walked uphill both ways when I went to grade school. Truth. Had to cross a large bridge over a bunch of railroad tracks. Of course the uphill was offset by the downhill on the other half, but still...

Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not even close. That one was a ... you know.
1999 was the year my wife moved to Vegas. She told me the same thing. These floods may not be as bad but there are a couple of businesses that are shut down permanently because of it. A pizza place that I always wanted to try is gone for good over on Maryland Parkway. The owner was on the news last night saying that his business was over and would not reopen.

Sent from phone using app

Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times
It flooded because of all the mole people's stuff in the storm drains...

"In Las Vegas, it's estimated about 1,000 homeless people find shelter in the storm drains underneath the city for protection from extreme temperatures"

Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
The principal at my son's school canceled all homework yesterday because they feared too many textbooks would get wet and ruined. The flooding nearby was pretty bad, but come on. What kind of society have we become? You know, back in the day, all of us walked 3 miles to school, barefoot in the snow, etc?
With good reason...my son pulled wet soggy things out of his backpack. His school had flooding inside on the floor in some parts. I can understand the concern about textbook when there are budget issues and most textbooks don't even have 9-11 in them. Anyway.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
1999 was the year my wife moved to Vegas. She told me the same thing. These floods may not be as bad but there are a couple of businesses that are shut down permanently because of it. A pizza place that I always wanted to try is gone for good over on Maryland Parkway. The owner was on the news last night saying that his business was over and would not reopen.

Was it Maryland just a bit East of Sahara? If so, that's a shame. If it was Magura's that's also a shame. I used to work in that area and I'm a lunch hound.

In 99 when the hundred year storm hit, my office had a floor to ceiling window and I watched that water level climb up and up and up. Mobile homes were washed away. It was insane.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Might be time to update this thread on flooding!

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ms-floods.html

Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Was it Maryland just a bit East of Sahara? If so, that's a shame. If it was Magura's that's also a shame. I used to work in that area and I'm a lunch hound.

In 99 when the hundred year storm hit, my office had a floor to ceiling window and I watched that water level climb up and up and up. Mobile homes were washed away. It was insane.
Yes I think those are the cross streets.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

186 posts, read 434,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
With good reason...my son pulled wet soggy things out of his backpack. His school had flooding inside on the floor in some parts. I can understand the concern about textbook when there are budget issues and most textbooks don't even have 9-11 in them. Anyway.
Yep my step daughter's bus was late picking them up from school. She & everything in her bag was drenched. We happened to be home with the 2 yr old due to a cold. Glad we didn't have to go to his daycare. It is the first time he got to play in the rain. I am a bad parent lol it was worth it to watch him shriek & laugh.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please ignore typos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas