Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If we did things my way, you wouldn't have "felt totally fine to drive" after having a few beers at a nightclub. Instead, you would have felt, "Man, should I really get behind the wheel? I'd hate to ruin my life forever." Change the law and you'd be AMAZED how quickly people will come around on this one.
If we did things your way, we would not have any bars or nightclubs since most people do drive to the bar. That is a fact. Your severe penalties would completely devastate the Las Vegas economy, and you would most likely be out of a job because of it. Be careful what you wish for. My solution would be to require all cars to have breathalyzer sensors on the steering wheel that are set just below the legal limit. People would drink less when they have to drive since their car would not start. This would solve the problem without being inhumane like what you proposed.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My last dui was my fault, so no comment on that one. .
This.
LVD...so you admit to drinking and driving.
That's a horrible thing to do.
When I was a kid my 4 year old nephew was walking on the sidewalk with his mother when a car jumped the curb and killed him and gave his mother life long injuries.
Injuries she still deals with 30 years later.
The driver was drunk off his azz.
Of course he lived, but my nephew hadda die??
4 years old man....FOUR!
Because of a drunk driver?
You admit to getting behind the wheel drunk.
That is an unforgivable offense.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
A little melodramatic, are you?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM

ok...so lets see how you feel when your mother or father gets hit and killed by one of them.
I'd like to see how you describe your feelings.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
If we did things your way, we would not have any bars or nightclubs since most people do drive to the bar. That is a fact. Your severe penalties would completely devastate the Las Vegas economy, and you would most likely be out of a job because of it. Be careful what you wish for. My solution would be to require all cars to have breathalyzer sensors on the steering wheel that are set just below the legal limit. People would drink less when they have to drive since their car would not start. This would solve the problem without being inhumane like what you proposed.
Yep - the people who scream for harsh jail(or even prison) sentences for drunk driving, or lifetime supension of drivers licenses never seem to think about the costs of housing extra prisoners, overcrowding, or the impact on the economy that results from preventing someone from driving. The same people will think that you are crazy to propose common sense solutions that would directly address the issue and work - like mandatory breath apparatus in vehicles - because it would affect THEM - and of course they are just SOOOO perfect and never do anything stupid in their life!

Another good proposal would be to require all new permits for bars and businesses that sell alcohol for onsite consumptions to not be allowed to have parking. Eliminate drunk drivers by making it difficult to drive a car to the bar. That idea usually gets shot down also. People don't want to solve the problem - they just want to pay other people to make criminals out of others who make mistakes.

As long as we allow people to drive to places where they can drink - they are going to try and drive home. All the laws and restrictions in the world will not stop that. I think that the breathalyzer sensor is a good idea - so why do so many "lock em up and throw away the key" people oppose them?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
ok...so lets see how you feel when your mother or father gets hit and killed by one of them.
I'd like to see how you describe your feelings.
Emotional argument based on a hypothetical situation - I'm pretty sure that is a logical fallacy - I just can't think of which one.

That may have cost Michael Dukakis the presidency - but the truth was that he was a pretty weak candidate to begin with and likely would have been a disaster. I don't care if the death penalty question helped him lose or not - I'm just glad that he didn't become president.

Nice try.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM

A 4 year old was killed.
I don't know where your going with your argument.
Your post was pointless.
Move on.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
This.
LVD...so you admit to drinking and driving.
That's a horrible thing to do.
When I was a kid my 4 year old nephew was walking on the sidewalk with his mother when a car jumped the curb and killed him and gave his mother life long injuries.
Injuries she still deals with 30 years later.
The driver was drunk off his azz.
Of course he lived, but my nephew hadda die??
4 years old man....FOUR!
Because of a drunk driver?
So lets see, you have never driven when you were tired coming home from work? If you did, you did an unforgivable offense since that is worse than what I did.

Driving Drowsy is Worse than Driving Drunk : ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine

You also never used a cell phone or texted on the road, or ate in the car, correct?

Using a mobile at the wheel 'worse than being drunk' | Mail Online

Texting Worse Than Driving Drunk; College Students Chief Offenders | KPBS.org

Eating while driving more dangerous than drunk driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A little melodramatic, are you?
Totally agreed

Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
A 4 year old was killed.
I don't know where your going with your argument.
Your post was pointless.
Move on.
I totally sympathize with your situation, but disagree on your solutions that you laid out earlier in this thread.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 PM

A little tired from working a hard day is as bad as going into a bar and getting drunk---LIKE YOU DID---and driving home?
Yeah...you should have lost your driving privileges.
It should be called murder.
Premeditated murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas