Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,380 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in starting a garden of organic fruit trees, vegetables, and herbs. Does anyone know where to buy these. Also, can anyone recommend a company who can help with the garden? I understand I should have a raised bed for the veggies and herbs but I don't know how to do this.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Here's a link for you. Leslie is the best. I have both of her books. She also offers a free email newsletter that is very informative. She sometimes gives talks at Plant World on Charleston which is a wonderful nursery and fun to visit because of all the birds and turtles.

Sweet Tomato Test Garden - For Desert Gardening. The Real Scoop on Growing Big Tomatoes In The Heat!

Make sure to sign up for the newsletter. It has links to companies that will help build your raised beds for you and things like that. She's not just a tomato expert. She does fruit trees and other veggies.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:44 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,191 times
stars nursery has a GREAT selection of fruit and nut bearing trees. you may have to wait until the first part of next year when the new stuff comes in.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,380 times
I didn't see any organic trees at Star Nursery and that's what I'm looking for.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,483 times
The organic comes from how you grow them. If you just feed them water and cow manure without any pesticides, supplements, etc, then it's organic. If you mean that you want something grown from seed and not a root stock or cloned cutting then be advised that your tree grown from seed might not bear fruit for several years and may need another tree to pollinate depending on what type of tree etc and thats if it bears fruit at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,087 times
All you need are seeds, rich soil, water and sun light =Organic. I am a novice at gardening. I really don't know much about it except what I read in books, found on the net and Youtubed.

I have grown enough tomatoes, onions, peas, carrots, parsley, oregano, basil and cucumbers to never have had to buy any of this at the store for the entire summer. Just buy a bunch of different seed packs from Lowes or Home Depot, put them in the ground and wait to see what happens. This is how I found out that garlic, strawberries and avocados don't do to well out here. At least in my back yard.

Just redid my garden 3 weeks ago. This time I am going for red onions, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, squash, lettuce and cabbage. Let's see what happens.

This is while uprooting everything. The garden was getting a little unorganized.

What I am trying out now.

Looks like the squash(middle) really like Vegas weather.

Sent from phone using app

Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,642 times
I believe Whole Foods has organic seeds.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,191 times
I am building a raised bed area for this next year, I will hope to have much bounty by next summer.

I also plan to get 3/4 fruiting trees from star... I currently have a bearss lime that is doing wonderfully, extremely juicy fruit.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I am building a raised bed area for this next year, I will hope to have much bounty by next summer.

I also plan to get 3/4 fruiting trees from star... I currently have a bearss lime that is doing wonderfully, extremely juicy fruit.
I've never had much luck with lime trees. Improved Meyer Lemon does well out here though.

I've grown the following successfully: Tomatoes, asparagus, blackberries, grapes, raspberries, radishes, pretty much any herb you can think of, onions, shallots, watermelon, and cantaloupe.

I've had bad luck with zucchini (which is odd because it's very hardy), and cucumbers. My strawberries grew, but the birds got 'em.

My neighbor's peach tree seems to do very well, though I had no luck with a nectarine tree.

This guy is another resource that OP might enjoy:

Mills, Linn - Columnists - ReviewJournal.com

Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,642 times
If I could ask a question ... your successes with growing fruits and vegetables sounds fantastic. I'm wondering, though, what happens when the huge winds come? It doesn't look (from the photos) as if that's a problem for growing season.

Or do they come at a different (more convenient) time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas