Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 17,394 times

Advertisements

I have a boyfriend in LA and also all my friends live there. I would be coming back to see my teenage son, 15 years old. That's why I would come back once a month. It's only about $100 to fly back here on Allegiant so that really isn't an issue. I would buy a car in Vegas. I'm due up for a new car anyhow and for the time being I will be living with my boss and his sister until I save up enough to get my own place. They would be taking me around. I didn't imagine it would be that hard to make it in Vegas since it's about double what I make now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 PM

My boss' house is HUGE...like I said he's in a very famous band. So living with them is not a big deal and they are extremely fun, out every night, going to concerts, seeing Vegas. Really fun people. The bf and my best friend are in LA. Seemed logical to me.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
So you make 9.50 now AND get section 8 housing? $1500+ a month and you can't pay for a place? Sorry to be rude, but that's one of the reasons this country is in the position that it's in.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM

ummm No.. I just got two new jobs, one of which pays that. I am currently making about $200 a month at my old job.
I'm weighing the pros and cons of going ahead and moving to Vegas if that pans out. So far, I got hired for the Vegas job in June..hasn't started yet.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 PM

So NO I'm not the reason the country is in any position. I guess I didn't explain that very well, but NO..I just got two new jobs... so instead of my one crummy transcription at home job that pays $200 a month, I will now be making $1500 I guess in which case my rent goes up to $450 a month instead of $63 like it is. My housing is just rent controlled. I pay a percentage of what I make. I pay child support as well to the tune of $350 a month.
in case you were wondering that as well.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 PM

my deal is that now that I have these jobs..and yes I will have two, one in the morning and one in the evening, one pays $8.00 an hour to start and one pays $9.50 an hour to start.... so I have the Vegas job but it hasn't started yet as they seem to be on an extended vacation, and so now I'm wondering if it's even worth it to move. I applied for the Vegas job in February. I finally got called for it in June and up until now I have skated by by the skin of my teeth on $200 to $300 a month income. Now, I couldn't wait anymore for them to start me on the Vegas job so I went out this week and got two new jobs. I am very capable and I don't ask for help unless necessary so no need to be rude to me. I have just been waiting for this job so long with little income, not wanting to start a new job here because I'm supposed to be moving and I don't want it to look bad on a resume that I had a job for a week, then moved on. I'm not a deadbeat!
The only up side, if not the money, is to see my friends and the boyfriend that has been off and on because we don't get to see each other with me living here.
People who live in my apartment building are not all section 8. There are those with BMWs and Volvos..it's for everyone. It's just they can't charge you more than you can afford. I have to show them my paychecks every few months. I'm not getting away with anything shady. Believe me right now I would be in a cardboard box under a bridge if it wasn't for that. There were months I paid $450 when I had a good job.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 PM

51 posts, read 118,213 times
I live in Phoenix (moving to Vegas in 11 days), which is comparable in the cost of living in Vegas and my spendable cash is right around where the OP would be with that $16/hour job (would be more if I wasn't penalized for being technically self-employed). I have been able to make all of my monthly obligations free and clear, and even had cash to spend, pay down debt, and put away for a rainy day.

That said, if I were to attempt to travel by air once per month I think I would be living on the edge of going "in the red" every month, if not toeing right over the line. I think you would be able to make life in Vegas work for you if you did not have this added obligation. It drains a significant percentage of your disposable income. Your disposable income (or whatever savings you have) is going to take an immediate hit upon moving as well, since most pet-friendly complexes require a hefty deposit (mine is requiring $300), registering a vehicle might be at a higher cost than what you're used to (check the NV DMV website for a cost estimating calculator), having less than stellar credit *may* cause complexes to require a higher deposit, plus the cost of moving all of your items from MO to NV. And what about emergencies? Without that added cushion of $250-$400 each month that you're spending airfare you won't have the ability to rebound from a financial setback. It is easy at your (and my) pay level to get thrown into a debt hole by simply moving from one place to another.

Just some things to think about.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM

I'm beginning to think it might be easier and cheaper in ways just to stay here in Missouri and go visit my friends in LA every so often. That same airline travels to LA nonstop flights for fairly cheap if you book it out far enough.
I wasn't planning on moving my stuff from here to Vegas. The company was going to pay for my flight out, but even still, here we have individuals who rent to people and don't check credit and things. They probably don't have that in Vegas and buying all new furniture, even though I usually get mostly used furniture, is still a pretty big expense. The place I live now pretty much expects you not to have good credit I think considering it is based on your income, so we don't really have those worries around here. I do have it made here. People wait on lists for years to get into this place and I happened to luck into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: