Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,104,218 times

Advertisements

I'd say Aliante or any of the communities just south of it. We don't really have many apartments out here though, so you'd be looking at a condo or a house.

As Scoop said, the strip is very accessible from anywhere in the valley. You'll probably tire of it rather quickly as most locals do.

I've met some of the folks at the new VA hospital. I liked their IT / PACS administrator guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,149,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don934 View Post
Well looks like my official work site will be the new VA hospital up north on Pecos. I was hoping I'd end up at a hospital closer to the strip but it is what it is. I'd like to find a spot thats about 15-20 mins from both the north VA hospital and the main strip. That looks hard to find without ending up in a bad neighborhood. I'll settle for a 25 minute commute to both the hospital and strip. Any ideas on best places (house, condo, apartments, etc) ? I'm leaning towards the 89129 zip but that puts me at around 28mins from the hospital and 26 mins to the strip (not the magic 25 or less I'd like haha). This of course is all based on google maps...How bad does traffic get heading up north from the 89129 area?
Just stay here. Brand new. Lots of luxury. No low income. Strict backgroud checks. About 3 minutes from the VA Hospital. Lots of landscaping and amenities. Hope you don't mind military. And it is next to the I-15 so it is a direct shot to the strip.

I helped a co-worker move in here last week till his home gets built. I was pretty impressed with the place.

Colonial Grand at Desert Vista | Las Vegas, NV
Colonial Grand at Desert Vista Apartments - North Las Vegas, NV 89086 | Apartments for Rent

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 21,412 times
Thanks again for all the tips, I'll definitely be taking all info into account. I've been searching thru so many rental sites today that my head hurts lol.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
One thing for your budget planning: Many people on this forum who have relocated here have noted that the price of automobile insurance is higher than they expected. Others have explained it as being a consequence of our having visitors from out-of-state who may not be as familiar with our roads/freeways and hence end up in accidents here... which in turn drives up the number of accidents per full time resident which in turn drives up auto insurance. Also, it has been noted that we do seem to have a relatively higher number of uninsured drivers. :-(

We relocated from the SF Bay Area; our auto insurance seemed to be a tad bit higher here.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Don't forget that car registration is also rather expensive here. The DMV does have a great website and you can accomplish a lot online :Online Services

As far as insurance goes, I've gotten the cheapest quotes from Allstate but I've been too lazy to switch so far.

I forgot to add that if you are going to be on the NLV side of town, they recently opened a Winco at Decatur and Tropical. The prices are really reasonable.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,707,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
One thing for your budget planning: Many people on this forum who have relocated here have noted that the price of automobile insurance is higher than they expected. Others have explained it as being a consequence of our having visitors from out-of-state who may not be as familiar with our roads/freeways and hence end up in accidents here... which in turn drives up the number of accidents per full time resident which in turn drives up auto insurance. Also, it has been noted that we do seem to have a relatively higher number of uninsured drivers. :-(

We relocated from the SF Bay Area; our auto insurance seemed to be a tad bit higher here.
It may vary, because I use to live in San Jose (zip code was 95127) lived in apt so no garage. My car insurance here is cheaper (89144) house with garage. Not cheaper by much but its not more than most people think.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,342,052 times
Not sure what you're planning on spending on a car, but there are two CarMax locations here, one on West Sahara east of Rainbow and the other north of the Valley Auto Mall off US 95 in Henderson. I have both bought from and sold to CarMax, and they are a solid company. If you buy from one of the independent lots - there are a lot of cars that have been flogged to within an inch of their lives, and some bought at auction elsewhere for resale here. You have to do your homework.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 21,412 times
Yup, I heard about high insurance/registration in Vegas. It's probably because its a 24hr city and you have people drinking at all sorts of hours. What areas make up Aliante and Centennial? I'm trying to get a better idea of the layout on google maps.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,982,619 times
Click von's apartment link. That's the area.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Aliante is a master planned community in North Las Vegas. Eldorado is nice too. I forgot about that when I posted earlier.

I live just about a mile south of Aliante Welcome To Aliante
Decatur is the dividing line between NLV and regular LV up here in the north. That might help you get a better idea when looking at the maps. Aliante is located in the north, near the 215 and Aliante Parkway.

Eldorado is a bit older and has really nice mature landscaping North Las Vegas Eldorado Community It's a couple of blocks east from here.

As far as Centennial Hills goes, I'm a little blurry on what they actually consider "Centennial Hills". When I lived out that way it was called Elkhorn Springs, but I was on the east side of the 95, so maybe it's not the same exact area. LVOC may chime in as he's knowledgeable about these things.

Any of the areas that have been recommended are pleasant in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas