Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,311,867 times

Advertisements

I would be very interested to know if anyone owns a swimspa and if so, are they happy and do they have any advice for purchasing? Just to clarify, a swimspa is similar to a hot tub only in the center, it has been designed to give a person, usually using a resistance belt, the ability to swim in place for exercise, therapy or to practice their swim strokes.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I would be very interested to know if anyone owns a swimspa and if so, are they happy and do they have any advice for purchasing? Just to clarify, a swimspa is similar to a hot tub only in the center, it has been designed to give a person, usually using a resistance belt, the ability to swim in place for exercise, therapy or to practice their swim strokes.

Thanks for any help.
I've been looking at the ones with water jets providing a "current" to swim against. I don't think I'm going to win that particular argument with my wife. She is vehemently against having a pool of any sort.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
I believe there is a house a couple of blocks down hill from you that has one. Well actually I know they have one but I don't know if the people I know still own it. Let me see. Maybe I can get you an intro and you can talk to them directly.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM

378 posts, read 331,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post

Thanks for any help.
Allow this swimspa owner/user to (slightly) clarify your clarification, Jameson. First, a swimspam, by its name, is both a hot and a swimming pool (in a single, relatively small 'box'). Think of a hot tub big enough to swim in, or a swimming pool small enough to hot tub in. Most swimspas, like your typical hot tub, are insulated, so you can use them year round, even in cold climates. Sizewise, they're typically 15 - 20 feet long, but in at least one case (mine), it's only 10'.
As for what you call a "resistance belt" - sometimes called a "tether" - swimming in most swimspas is accomplished against a current generated by high-horsepower pumps or propellers, and in one case, even a giant paddle wheel.
I got mine because my 90-year-old mom needed aquatic therapy, but her middle-aged son soon discovered that it was great for reducing the tire he was wearing around his waist, and over the period of a month, he lost close to 30 pounds.

If you'd like to know more, please ask...

Old 09-18-2012, 09:44 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,939,955 times
We looked into these too... very cool and versatile since it can be enjoyed as a hot tub when not used as a "workout machine." The only problem is price. They seem way too expensive for what they are. Also, getting them into your backyard may be a problem (read: expensive) depending on your lot/topography.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
We looked into these too... very cool and versatile since it can be enjoyed as a hot tub when not used as a "workout machine." The only problem is price. They seem way too expensive for what they are. Also, getting them into your backyard may be a problem (read: expensive) depending on your lot/topography.
This is why I haven't lobbied to get one. They're basically just a 10-foot long spa with all the jets on one side. They shouldn't cost as much as a small condo. Something like that doesn't even have to be 100% inground. Two feet deep and two feet high, four feet wide and 10 feet long would do the trick. And with the right framing, would look very nice, too. (I'm thinking all teak or ipe.) It would be kind of like having a reflecting pool in the back yard.

So, yes, it's something I think would be great in this town. Something I'd very much like to have. Especially since I'm likely stuck here for several more years. May as well enjoy them. But, like I said previously -- my wife is vehemently against a pool. She's convinced that some idiot will manage to drown him or herself, while trespassing, and we'll be on the hook for the liability suit. And there's nothing that's going to convince her otherwise.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 09-18-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM

I agree with Logline: they shouldn't cost as much as a small condo. And they don't. For what it's worth, here's one that with all the features and a price less than $5,000. Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,939,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruff View Post
I agree with Logline: they shouldn't cost as much as a small condo. And they don't. For what it's worth, here's one that with all the features and a price less than $5,000. Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
Cheap, but that one looks a little short for a normal sized adult... plus, it doesn't have properly placed jets to create a current to swim against. It looks like it uses a bungee cord to keep you in place. Heck you could do that in any pool.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruff View Post
I'd like to see the dimensions on that spa. From the pictures, it looks small. I'm tall, and can touch the 8-foot ceilings upstairs without any difficulty. That one looks like I'd be hitting the walls with my hands and feet as I tried to swim. The spas I've looked at run $15-20K, plus installation -- which for my house would require hiring a crane.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Cheap, but that one looks a little short for a normal sized adult... plus, it doesn't have properly placed jets to create a current to swim against. It looks like it uses a bungee cord to keep you in place. Heck you could do that in any pool.
Here's the thing about the jets: they're expensive, they suck a lot of power, they break down, they're noisy, and every time you want to change your stroke, you have to interrupt your workout, get to the side of the pool, twist a knob, then get back to work. The bungee - and yes, you could do it in any pool - is noiseless, automatically adjusts to your stroke, doesn't blast your face, and above all, is dirt cheap. Like 40 cents.
As for the size, it's 10' long by 6 1/2' wide. I'm 5-10 and can do any stroke with ample room to spare. The tallest user I've seen was 6-4 and he still had room to spare.
I should point out that this particular model, in addition to seating 4 adults (with bubbles and jets), also has two 'toddler' seats. It's the only pool I've ever seen that is 'child friendly'. Perhaps the best thing about this pool is an insert that you stick in and it effectively zones the pool into two separate tubs - hot tub and cool tub. You only heat the hot tub part - about 350 gallons - and when you want to swim, just pop out the insert and start swimming. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas