Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM

43 posts, read 69,824 times

Advertisements

Obviously a water softener is a must buy ( well at least to those of us that are used to a less smelly water).

I am contemplating a whole house filtration system, (reverse osmosis). So that when u get ice cubes from the fridge, or water from the fridge it is filtered/purified.... will save on bottled water, and has some debatable health benefits.

Went to RC willey, they don't carry that kind of stuff, just the basic softener (put deposit on washer dryer to lock in sale price). I am at a loss of where to begin... Found cheap systems for a few hundred online, and others for 2-4k. I need help on what I need, and help on where to get it.

Thanks all!

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM

557 posts, read 793,551 times
Look no further. I purchased from the below link and I am very happy with the quality and pricing.
WATER SOFTENERS AND FILTERS

Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Classically you use a whole house softener and an RO on the kitchen sink...the refrigerator is generally fed from the kitchen sink area and, if so, can also be RO water.

It is possible to do a whole house RO though many, including me, question the value. Scoop has one, I believe a GE, and is happy with the system.

Major disadvantage is cost.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM

I know about RO on the kitchen sink... but was thinking u get ice cubes from the fridge and of course there is a water line to the fridge, what's the point of RO from sink if u stick untreated ice in it?

the link onlyliveonce posted has stuff in the $800 range. I just have to look up the maintenance on it, and the cost of supplies (like salt for softener etc, see if it it different than others).

Old 10-06-2012, 10:57 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,764,096 times
Your 50% buyer's agent commission credit should provide you with a great system, fully installed.

Amen.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM

14 posts, read 40,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow7478 View Post
I know about RO on the kitchen sink... but was thinking u get ice cubes from the fridge and of course there is a water line to the fridge, what's the point of RO from sink if u stick untreated ice in it? ...
It's easy to set it up so that the RO filtered water feeds the refrigerator. That's the way I have it set up in my house. My ice cubes are made with RO filtered water.

I second the recommendation made by LVOC. Get a water softener for the house, and an RO filter that provides drinking water and also feeds the refrigerator.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
ScoopLV will probably chime in on what he has for his home. I think he did his whole house if memory serves.

I also remember Cosumer Reports just recently had a report on the best filtration systems, including RO and which ones were a waste of money. Check their website. They are well worth the money for a subscription.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Yes, I have whole-house RO.

1) It is not cheap. $5K is a good budget number. Plus there's roughly $250 in annual maintenance.

2) I have the equivalent of bottled water coming out of every tap (and shower, dishwasher, and the washing machine) in the house. Clothes are cleaner and softer. There's less wear and tear on the water heater, dishwasher and washing machine.

3) The water tastes GREAT. Just as good as any bottled water. It's also a joy to take a shower. Showers feel like rain water.

4) I am absolutely certain there are no heavy metals or other nasties in the water. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch. The RO system strips all that out. I'm slightly paranoid about the water quality in the valley. We make three of the top-10 "worst water supplies in the US" list. I won't even brush my teeth with the stuff.

5) I don't need a water softener. The RO unit is far superior than a softening system. So, that mitigates some of the cost.

6) It's better for the environment. I don't like the idea of salting fresh water from a "tree-hugger" perspective.

7) I can easily uninstall the system and take it with me when I leave.

So, yes, it's expensive. So is a Rolex. I enjoy my water system more than I'd enjoy a wristwatch.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM

I guess it looks like I would love whole house, but can't really afford 5k out of pocket right now... so it might have to be just the RO in sink, and get a line feeding it to the refridge... Who do we get to run the line to the fridge?

air quality and water are the 2 things I care about in my house, because we spend a good amount of time in the house, and we use air and water for many things oh and can't do without them either.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow7478 View Post
I guess it looks like I would love whole house, but can't really afford 5k out of pocket right now... so it might have to be just the RO in sink, and get a line feeding it to the refridge... Who do we get to run the line to the fridge?

air quality and water are the 2 things I care about in my house, because we spend a good amount of time in the house, and we use air and water for many things oh and can't do without them either.
I recommend Angie's List for finding a company to install it - I've seen deals here on CD where it's only $13 for a whole year - well worth it.

Please let us know who you end up going with and what system you get. I tried looking at the link that was posted in this thread but that website was unreadable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas