Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's what thrashed my oldest in elementary school. He has ADHD (I cried BS until his third grade teachers showed me evidence) He would often complete assignments but lose them before turn-in day.

It is not cool to ask six year old's with ADHD and a backpack to keep track of paperwork for a week. He did graduate, and has a very high IQ, but he started hating school in elementary school in part because of the homework packets and it never left him.

Mandatory homework is a subject that gets my blood boiling. I was an honors student. Homework was what I did when I didn't finish my work in class or I had a book report or science project due. Mandatory homework, nightly, especially in a district full of single parents and shift-workers is tantamount to setting children up to fail. I hate that policy.

Every time our system is called under question, they make the graduation requirements and testing standards tougher. It's like lacing up your cleats and stomping on your own johnson.
Yes you definitely understand. I figured that the students curriculum is designed to promote independence. Something that not all CCSD students can handle.

Sent from cell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Yes you definitely understand. I figured that the students curriculum is designed to promote independence. Something that not all CCSD students can handle.

Sent from cell...
Independence is good for college students and the honor roll kids. The lower grades in the more challenged areas? Not so much. I know successful adults who can't keep track of paperwork for a week, and CCSD is asking little kids to do it. Sometimes little kids whose only solid meal of the day was school lunch.

Scoop mentioned upthread that the people posting here have paid more attention to education than 95% of the electorate. I agree with that. How do we fix it?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Sometimes little kids whose only solid meal of the day was school lunch.
We have purchased something on the order of a thousand bags of cereal for the kids. Their parents don't give them breakfast. The come to school hungry. And nobody can learn when they're hungry. People just don't seem to get how bad some of the parents are.

These kids that don't even get a bowl of cereal in the morning? Their parents always seem to have lots of jewelry and freshly-manicured nails. But they can't spring for a flippin' bag of malt-o-meal once a week.

Ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
I'm taking an Introduction to Secondary Education class at UNLV this semester. I went to my first observation day at a local CCSD high school a few weeks ago. I'm interested in becoming a math teacher so I was placed in two different math classes for observation. The first class was a freshman class that was being taught Algebra One. There were 34 students in the class and one teacher. The teacher did a really good job managing that many students but you could tell he was having a hard time trying to help all 34 of them individually w/ their various math questions. The second class I observed had 45 YES 45 students in it. This class was a mix of juniors and seniors who were gearing up to take the state mandated test to graduate. Their was one regular teacher and one Co-op teacher in the room. Even with the help of a Co-op teacher cramming 47 people in this little classroom made it very congested.

Here is an article that some of you may enjoy reading about being a teacher and teacher education: Please follow the link labeled below.
ON THE NATURE OF TEACHING AND
TEACHER EDUCATION
DIFFICULT PRACTICES THAT LOOK EASY
http://www.stanford.edu/~dlabaree/pu...ing_and_TE.pdf

Old 10-12-2012, 03:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Default LA Times sequence on value added

I often refer to the LA Times series on value added evaluation of teachers. For those who are interested the whole sequence can be found through...

Grading the Teachers: Value-Added Analysis - latimes.com - latimes.com

There is something in this set for everyone. I was particularly impressed that no one appeared able to identify those who would do best in this evaluation.

The teachers generally object to it as incomplete and dealing with only part of the job. Some truth but it is probably more rational than any of the other techniques.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM

47 people in a classroom?

Sent from cell...

Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
If they'd double stack ALL of them they could get even more in.....

Old 10-13-2012, 02:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Just stack them like cordwood.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
We have purchased something on the order of a thousand bags of cereal for the kids. Their parents don't give them breakfast. The come to school hungry. And nobody can learn when they're hungry. People just don't seem to get how bad some of the parents are.
I get how bad some of the parents are. I'm no peach, but I know a woman who kicked her fifteen year old son out on the street and then threatened me because I gave him a place to stay for a few days. I know a woman who let her son drop out in 8th grade!

Let me know if you want some money for an instant tea maker (for hot water) and some packets of instant oatmeal. (keeps better than cereal and milk)

Here's a story from the Sun. The story itself will cheer your heart, the comments below it will chill you to the bone. Thank you, and your wife, for doing what you can to help.

When poverty affects children

Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I get how bad some of the parents are. I'm no peach, but I know a woman who kicked her fifteen year old son out on the street and then threatened me because I gave him a place to stay for a few days. I know a woman who let her son drop out in 8th grade!

Let me know if you want some money for an instant tea maker (for hot water) and some packets of instant oatmeal. (keeps better than cereal and milk)

Here's a story from the Sun. The story itself will cheer your heart, the comments below it will chill you to the bone. Thank you, and your wife, for doing what you can to help.

When poverty affects children
Interesting article, even more interesting are the comments below. This one stood out the most. Of course I did a little fact checking myself just to make sure.

By gmag39 10/13/12 at 6:39 a.m.
@ vegaslee...
"It is NOT the children's fault that their parents are not responsible people."
Well, that's true, sure...
but the VAST MAJORITY of parents that need assistance for their children are NOT 'irresponsible'.
Take the Walmart employee, for example...
"Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. As many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores use food stamps."
Are the thousands upon thousands of Walmart employees 'irresponsible' parents?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/10...

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/...our-safety-net

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ages-employees

Sent from cell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas